Metal rubbing noise from rear wheel

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and could not find anything. Car has been to dealership twice and noise could not be spotted, not sure how hard they were looking.

When I am driving, regardless of speed, I hear a noise that sounds like metal running against metal. Sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear wheel (I hear the sound from inside the car). I did hit a curb with that wheel and thats when the sound started. Knuckle bearing was replaced also.

Sound seems to go with each rotation of the wheel.
Best way I can describe the sound is....picture a rotor that has more wear in one spot then another and each time it revolves it scapes against the brake pad and rubs for a brief second when they make contact. Any ideas. Visually everything looks fine but I have not checked the diff. or half shaft. Should I check those and what do I look for. Again a Recommended Viper tech inspected the car and did not notice anything.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the wheel to a wheel shop to check it for trueness.

While the wheel is off check the hub/axle for trueness with a dial indicator.

Look for places that have been scraping. Not rocket science. Shiny versus dull or rusty. Scraped versus machined.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it make the noise with the car jacked up and the wheels spinning freely? Or only with the cars weight on it?

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had a simila problem with mine except it was a front left hand wheel.
Checked every thing from brake pads to disks, when I jacked it up there was no play in the bearing,no noise and no tight spots, finally worked out that it must have lost the hardening on the bearing shell on the bottom of the shell so when bearing is unloaded(jacked up) the bearing runs smooth. but when there was weight on the bad bit of bearing it ran rough, fitted new bearing assembly and it was gone.

possibly the same for you

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will jack it up tonight. I have been meaning to do that just when I got home from work, but its so late I push it off to the next day but today its getting done.

How safe is this to drive on as I have appointments to get the car worked on at various locations upwards of 70 miles round trip.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like the wheel bearing. I have to re-torque the center nut mine every year or so. Or it starts making that sound!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte