Michigan Vipers - Did your registration double in price???

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I let my license plate expire because I stored the car since everything became a zombie apocalypse. This year I decided to renew. Well my personal plate registration was $315 and now they want me to pay over $600 to renew the personal plate! ***?!? Did your plate renewal double in price? What gives?

I though maybe they're making me pay for last year too but that's totally unfair to have to pay for something in the past. So if I ever let my plate expire again I have to repay all the years in the past to renew it?

SteveB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure, I just got my car, and as a 93, I registered it as a historic vehicle, $30 registration fee, good for 10 years. As soon as your car hits 25 years old, I'd recommend it. Has some restrictions on when you can drive it, but nothing too big (technically only drive it to/from club events, car shows, repairs, parades, or "anytime during the month of August."

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with a personal plate? Mine's coming up to 25 soon I can't wait for the huge price drop.

jdidit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not in Michigan, but thought I would chime in if similar. My state will typically make you pay the missing year with an additional late fee; however, if you provide proof of storage during that time then both the last year registration cost and fee would be removed.

SteveB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry no not with a personal plate. Historic plates have to be generic. For the price, I gave up on getting a personalized plate. $30 and the registration lasts 10 years, that’s $3 a year. And if you are going to keep the car forever, buy an “authentic” plate from the year of your car (needs to have the registration tab for the same year as your car) and get a lifetime registration for $35. In both cases cars have to be over 25 years old. I bought an authentic 93 plate for my car but decided not to use it - the plate wasn’t in perfect condition (like the car, the plate is 28 years old) and I didn’t want a banged up rusty plate on my Viper.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dammit! So let's see over $300 for a personal plate vs $35 for a generic historic plate. Hmmmm.......