Mobile 1 syn racing oil 15-50

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, can (should) I run this oil in my Hemi also (5W20 is factory as you said)? It would be nice to buy the same oil for my truck and 2 Vipers. Thanks!

Yes, it's all for fuel economy. The HEMI has the cylinder cut-out system that claims it won't operate correctly if something besides the 5W20 is used. I have used a 0W40 because I inherited some and can't say it made a difference. Getting 21-23 highway no matter what.

Can you literally use a 5W40 safely? Of course. It's just that besides the viscosity, there is another reason it may decrease fuel economy. Your mileage may vary...

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's all for fuel economy. The HEMI has the cylinder cut-out system that claims it won't operate correctly if something besides the 5W20 is used. I have used a 0W40 because I inherited some and can't say it made a difference. Getting 21-23 highway no matter what.

Can you literally use a 5W40 safely? Of course. It's just that besides the viscosity, there is another reason it may decrease fuel economy. Your mileage may vary...

Thanks Tom! I have a Megacab, so my truck does not have MDS anyway. Decrease in fuel economy - hahaha - I am only getting 9 mpg anyway (it is lifted with big tires), so I am already shooting myself in the foot, a little more won't hurt.... :)

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the factory fill for the 2008-2009s is Mobil 1 0w40 but in the Summer 2008 Viper Magazine article on track prep of the ACR ("From Street Legal to Track Regal") the SRT staff recommended using Mobil 1 15w50 for track days/higher stress conditions (for example, they stated they would use the ACR for two days running 6-8 hours at a time).

I have been using the 0w40 at HPDE events and track schools with no incidents (knock on wood) so far. Then again, my track events are typically ony one day with 4-5 run sessions lasting only 20-30 minutes with a good 15-30 minutes between sessions.

/Rich

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's wrong with Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30? Isn't that what Dodge recommended for Gen IIs?:dunno:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viscosity goes down when the oil temperature goes up. Most people guess that they need thicker oil because... well, because. So before changing viscosity grade, have you accurately measured the oil temperatures under the highest load, worst cooling condition? And under those conditions, what was the oil pressure? Gen 1/2 cars didn't have oil temperature gauges and have a so-so electric pressure gauge. Coolant temperature is not a good substitute because the oil has it's own heat exchanger and thermostat. In my car the coolant temp goes high in city traffic but oil temp stays normal. On the track the coolant is a little high, but the oil is much higher. You should measure this. If the pressure is less than you think it should be, move up a viscosity grade, although testing I've seen shows that the viscosity grade will only add a handful of PSI; If you really want higher pressure, keep the oil cooler. However, at some point the pressure relief valve will dump it anyway. Oil pressure will not cure an oil pick up problem in long high G turns.

I suspect SRT uses the 15W50 because it is extra extra extra extra insurance against the oil running hot. Even NASCAR uses lower grades and Mobil sells a Racing 0W30 that Penske uses. I wouldn't assume any oil is "too" thin (Formula 1 uses 0W20, HEMI comes with 5W20, some NASCAR team use a 0W20, Champ Car when alive used a 0W20, almost all Fords and Hondas come with 5W20) these days. So there is nothing wrong with the 10W30; the 0W40 that Dodge now recommends is simply the newer year model version of engine oil.