Modified Stock Shifter

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never really liked my MWS shifter so I decided to Modify the stock shifter by cutting off 1.25 inches drilling out the shaft and retapping it.

Works great and as shown in the pics is about the same height as the MWS.

8415Shifter_Sidebyside.jpg

8415shifter2.jpg

8415shifternew.jpg

Rich

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... and I did very same thing - finished few minutes ago:). Couldn't wait to order so this was my saturday night job. You need 29/64 drill, 1/2-20 tap (together ~$12) and you are on your way to a short shifter with the stock knob:)

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all you must drill. Once you drilled another 1.25 inch you can either cut it using regular saw and then tap it as I did or perhaps better first tap it (easier to extend the thread) and then cut it and refresh the thread after it. Note: - the shifter will get VERY hot during drilling.

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all you must drill. Once you drilled another 1.25 inch you can either cut it using regular saw and then tap it as I did or perhaps better first tap it (easier to extend the thread) and then cut it and refresh the thread after it. Note: - the shifter will get VERY hot during drilling.

The aluminum is easy to cut and you will make drilling much easier if you lubricate the bit with a little oil (as with tapping)

My only problem was that I put a few scratches on my shifter (from the vice) I had wrapped it but not well enough.

Rich

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what didn't you like @ mgw shifter? I've had mine for a couple weeks and find it superior to stock. And I do still have mine, but you will have to negotiate with my eight yr old.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think there is or at least was a stock shifter on ebay. I just saw Madman's job, it is awsome! He's helping me do mine soon.

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what didn't you like @ mgw shifter? I've had mine for a couple weeks and find it superior to stock. And I do still have mine, but you will have to negotiate with my eight yr old.

I just prefer shifting with a ball grip - the pistal grip did not feel right. I had a Momo ball on my vette and just got used to it.

Rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang