MOPAR NUT

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned 5 factory Hemi Cars over the past 20 years.I'm considering a Viper for my next car.Does anyone know how the 0-100mph straight line performace compares.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have no experience with any of the factory hemis, undoubtedly the Viper is faster than any of them. Straight line, road course--it doesn't matter. I live up the road from you, email me if you want to see how the Viper does against the hemi.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 500+ horsepower 440 Dart and the Viper is just a totally diferent animal...there is no comparison straight line or anything else...Vipers are simply awesome...and I am sure 99% of Vipers will smoke most fine tuned Hemi cars...without much trouble..

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can tell you 0-100 in a viper is around 9 seconds. But comming from a family of over 20 hemi cars in the 18 years I've been alive (my dad's cars of course) I can tell you that while the HEMI is definately the best V-8 EVER the Mighty V-10 is just that much better, the problem with most HEMI's is that people don't have them runnig right. Anyway, I compare this to hemi coronets, gtx's, challengers, 1 cuda and the many other B body Mopars we've owned and still do (including a 70 hemi cuda and 69 gtx hemi convert.) You will find the VIper V-10 to be a welcome addition to your hemi cars as we did(96 GTS), though they never will have that sound that a hemi does when you stomp on it to open up the second carb.

Check out my homepage for some of the cars mentioned.

Craig

OP
OP
M

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.You all should get a commission$$ from Dodge.The positive comments posted on the Viper are very impressive.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to some reviews 0-100MPH for a GTS is 8.7 sec. That sound about right. On a good run I can hit about 92-93MPH in the 1/8 mile at about 7.9-8.0 sec

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had dozens of Hemis. There is nothing like the sound of a Hemi in full song. Practically, The Viper is like the old comparison of the 440 six pak vs the Hemi. Built for battle the Hemi is king, but on the street the V10 will conquer.

My GTS out performs any street Hemi I have owned, even the modified ones, and its driveable everyday.

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the other responses. I own a '69 Superbee Hemi and a '70 Superbird 440-6. The Superbee is not stock (supposed to be putting out about 550 horsepower), but it simply can't get the power to the ground like the Viper can even in a straight line. I could not even imagine taking the Bee on a road course.

OP
OP
M

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison.Since I posted this message I took delivery of a new 2001 Viper(Yellow with stripes).It will take some time to break in the engine, however, it's fun just knowing the potential of the VIPER.

OP
OP
M

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam,In 1970 the Cuda was completely redesigned.Parts for these cars are easier to locate compared to 1969.E bay auctions a fair number of this vintage however the demand is high and so are the prices.A 318cu.in car should be in the 3K to 5K range depending on condition.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had three street Hemi cars over the past six years: 71 'Cuda plum crazy, 69 Road Runner bronze, and 68 Charger R/T dk blue metallic. All three cars were torqueflite, 8 3/4 axle. Charger and Road Runner 3.23 gears. 'Cuda had 4.11 when I got it, and then changed it to 3.23. Slippery converters on all three cars...3000 - 3500 stall.

Charger was quickest (and heaviest - probably 4K LBs) of the three. I used hydraulic MP cam, .524 lift/292 duration. ****** headers, 3 in exh with three chambered flowmasters. Jacobs ignition. Single Holley 850 4 BBL double pumper. 16 in American Racing Torque Thrust wheels with 295-50-16s on the rear. Upgraded suspension with larger MP torsion bars, and bigger front sway bar as well as added rear sway bar. Heilwig products. Adjustable Konis all around, poly bushings. Nope, never handled like a Viper! With 300 miles on the fresh engine, lousy traction on the 28.5 in street tires and 3.23 gear, and a PAPER air filter, she turned 13.21 @ 107. It got quicker over the next two years, but I never again put it on the track. So I guess the 0-100 MPH run was mid-high 12s.

I had a Venom 600 at the time (which Lee Dove now owns). We ran the Charger against that and also against a 94 RT/10 (Borla cat back, K&Ns) from highway rolls of 60, 70 and 80 MPH. The Charger was door to door with the 94 RT/10 from all of those speeds up to 120, when we all backed off. The Venom was FAR ahead of both (early Venom...514 in stroker...639 flywheel HP).

I ran 13.35 @ 106 in the 'Cuda with 3.23 gear. Never ran it with 4.11s. 'Cuda was bone stock except for flowmasters and MSD 6AL box.

The Road Runner I never raced, but it felt like the 'Cuda. Also bone stock.

The first time I had my yellow 95 on the track I ran 12.74 @ 111. That was a lousy launch, and no experience driving a Viper on a 1/4 mile track. I eventually got it into mid 12.50s @ 113. Bone stock then, not even K&Ns. I don't think any stock street Hemi ever ran a trap speed over 110.

Having typed all that, I'd still love to see a run by an old B body with a Viper crate engine. I've heard of a 68 Charger so equipped.

Also, a Gen I RT/10 with a 528 crate Hemi would be neat...one of my dreams is to build such a beast for the street. Anyone have such a car?

I love my classic Mopars, but after almost 5 years of driving Vipers, I can't imagine motoring life without a Viper!

Powerstick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From 80-84, I was the second owner of a '71 Charger R/T w/426 Hemi. It was an automatic with 3:55 Chrysler rear. My best in the quarter was 14.39 @ 99. The engine ran sweet & would rev til the valves floated & never skipped a beat, & it had over 84,000 miles on it. NOTHING could keep up with it from a 70 roll. I'd love to see a 426 run a Viper from this speed.

The car burned-up where it was in storage in Aug. 1984.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison.Since I posted this message I took delivery of a new 2001 Viper(Yellow with stripes).It will take some time to break in the engine, however, it's fun just knowing the potential of the VIPER.

And I almost replied (guess I just did though).

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off you bumped a 8 year old thread, 2nd off you do realize the Viper would eath the Chargers lunch from any speed correct?

From 80-84, I was the second owner of a '71 Charger R/T w/426 Hemi. It was an automatic with 3:55 Chrysler rear. My best in the quarter was 14.39 @ 99. The engine ran sweet & would rev til the valves floated & never skipped a beat, & it had over 84,000 miles on it. NOTHING could keep up with it from a 70 roll. I'd love to see a 426 run a Viper from this speed.

The car burned-up where it was in storage in Aug. 1984.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to post a pic of my old Superbee
tires.jpg

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 4