Mopar Performance/Hurst Short Throw Question

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok....so I just ordered the Mopar short throw. Let me first say, what a bunch of sH$% that the damn thing doesn't include a shifter ball. Problem is, I just ordered the MGW knob...which they said would fit. Obviously it doesn't. Any suggestions? Not really a fan of the ball style....or a white hurst knob!!! What do I do? Does anyone make an adaptor kit???

Chad

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut down an MGW knob and it works just fine. You could also cut the shifter shaft down and have it re-threaded. Most MGW knobs are threaded all the up inside the knob.

OP
OP
V

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what you mean by "cut it down"? I was told there are two problems...the shaft on the hurst kit is too short when you mount the MGW knob due to the low profile on the knob ie-knob sits almost below the shift bezel and impossible to shift. Also, the hurst shaft is not the same thread pattern as the stock shaft, which the MGW was designed for.????? So now I have a shaft that's too short...and the wrong thread pattern.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very confused here. The Hurst shifter has the same threads as the MGW knob, same threads as the stock knob. The stock knob will not fit because it is way too tall. The Hurst shifter is not too short for a ball/knob style. The Hurst shifter is too tall for the MGW First Strike shifter. What I did was cut about 1 inch out of the middle of the shaft and welded it back together. It would be very hard to cut the shaft and then try to re-thread it. The shaft diameter is much greater than the thread diameter; so you would have to turn the diameter down before you could thread it. Much easier to cut and weld. I really like my First Strike knob, so this process worked out very well for me.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put a MGW knob on the Mopar without modifying it, you will essentially be back at the stock height with shorter throws.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went though this myself. The stock shifter will thread on the Hurst, however it is way too long. I had it cut and re welded. I took about 2 inches from the middle. Another words, I had it cut roughly 1/2 below the ball and had the threaded portion welded back on. The reason why I wanted the stock shifter is because i have a Mamba. All in all it looks fine however you can see some of the weld. Not a big deal to me. I may get the hurst knob just to see what it looks like.

the Hurst is sooo much better than the stock shifter. Well worth it. Got mine from Chuck Tator who also did the install.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was wrong when I said they were different thread sizes, I was thinking of another setup we had done in the race shop. Both are 1/2-20 sae fine thread but the shaft is to short for the ball type knob as it sit way down into the boot. a Momno ALUCO Comp Knob works very well and is a good height. If you want to extend the shaft so as to use the viper logo knob I make them in my shop. They raise the shift knob about 1"-1-1/2" higher. I have pictures posted at http://gallery.viperclub.org/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/8614 using a Hurst white knob which I prefer. I also have a Viper Logo Black Knob with Red Logo for sale if anyone needs it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok....so I just ordered the Mopar short throw. Let me first say, what a bunch of sH$% that the damn thing doesn't include a shifter ball......
Chad

Everyone that calls PartsRack to order this gets the 'downside' in advance ...so we don't sell too many !