Motion Control Suspension (MCS) Install and other items

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Suspension arrived yesterday from Mark Jorgensen, mounts from Nader , the finish and quality of these dampers look superb. The mounts are super nice also. Install went pretty good took me about 10-12 hours by myself including new brake pads, rotors, ebrake pads, flushing brake fluid. Ive got to say alot of this time was spent measuring the rear mounting brackets before i drilled the holes for the mounts, a lil more time spent measuring and re-routing the front mounts and cannisters before i mounted them also. The ride height also takes some time measuring and adjusting so on and so forth. Mark was super knowledgable on the suspension and answered every question i seemed to ask, compression, rebound, ride height etc etc. So the mounting part is easy everything else is just time consuming.

Finished car up this morning, and my wife wanted me to take her for a ride, first thought through my head is this thing is gonna ride alot rougher that it did. I was worried even though i didnt care because we only go on short trips, the suspension is for the track. I was blown away with how much better this car rides. It is so smooth, no jarring, seems to take WV roads here in stride, no slop or bouncing after hitting a bump, just seems planted. The ride is better than the factory suspension, even with twice the factory spring rate. 500/800 Im looking forward to see what these do on the track. It almost seems to good to be true. Settings are pretty much in the middle of the 15 clicks, on both compression and rebound. Nitrogen is still at factory fill level which i think is 200psi. Thanks Mark for the Suspension, Nader for the mounts, DC Performance (catch can) and JonB for Rotors, ss lines, wheels, pilot cups, stickers, and pads those Brakemans bite great. Here are some photos.

You must be registered for see images

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man thats awesome. If I ever need coilovers for another viper in the future I know I will order a brand new set of Motions. I have learned when it comes to suspension you get what you pay for. I never thought I would spend $3k on used Motons now I would spend the full $5500 on new without even blinking an eye. Enjoy the new ride.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the thread I was looking for. I received my Motons and need to pick spring rate/ length as well as buy some mounts. Everything looks perfect on your car. The catch can looks OEM. Question though, how does the catch can breath?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the thread I was looking for. I received my Motons and need to pick spring rate/ length as well as buy some mounts. Everything looks perfect on your car. The catch can looks OEM. Question though, how does the catch can breath?

It's a sealed system, so the routing is just like it is from the factory, but the oil gets a chance to condense in the can before it makes its way into the intake manifold. There are other cans out there with breathers, but those aren't legal from an emissions standpoint.

OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks KNG. And as steve says, its a sealed system, works as a vacuum from the intake, to pull gases from the crank via valve covers, the problem is every time i checked the factory hose is had oil residue and oil in the hose, so it had to be going into the intake. The pcv is valved to close off at wot, or very high vacuum, the problem is braking extremely hard or pull hard lateral g's. Oil and vapors mixed with gas gets sucked into the intake, reduces octane ,if senses knock, pulls timing, or worse pre ignition or detonation, causing piston damage, broken rods. Etc etc.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told to plug everything going to and coming from the intake then pipe the valve covers seperately to a breathable can. This avoids any chance of oil entering the combustion system.

OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can also do that, but crankcase vapors are better evacuated using vacuum , not just fresh air. Even the old vehicles with tubes under the car was designed to pull vacuum. The reason for the pcv(postivie crankcase ventilation) is to remove combustion gases from the crankcase, otherwise your engine oil will be contaminated quickly. In a full out race car im sure you want no gases re entering the intake. I know the acrx uses a filter breather but the valve covers are also redesign via archer racing, plus they are changing engine oil every race weekend. These engines were designed with a pcv in place, id say some vapors are ok in design, but i think the only advantage to the oil air seperator is to keep large amounts of vapor/oil from entering the intake in a track, autox or aggresive driving situation, but im sure some vapors will still enter, plus i dont wanna change my oil weekly. Just my opinion.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great and great upgrade. Brackets look great especially in the coupes rear...

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Ill need to get that nitrogen kit here in the next few weeks, also.

You will LOVE that kit when you get it. It makes trackside adjustments a breeze. I ended up buying a nurse tank (40 cu ft) that I keep at home to refill the small tank that comes with the kit.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You can also do that, but crankcase vapors are better evacuated using vacuum , not just fresh air. Even the old vehicles with tubes under the car was designed to pull vacuum. The reason for the pcv(postivie crankcase ventilation) is to remove combustion gases from the crankcase, otherwise your engine oil will be contaminated quickly. In a full out race car im sure you want no gases re entering the intake. I know the acrx uses a filter breather but the valve covers are also redesign via archer racing, plus they are changing engine oil every race weekend. These engines were designed with a pcv in place, id say some vapors are ok in design, but i think the only advantage to the oil air seperator is to keep large amounts of vapor/oil from entering the intake in a track, autox or aggresive driving situation, but im sure some vapors will still enter, plus i dont wanna change my oil weekly. Just my opinion.

You will want to check your catch can very frequently with this set up as it's a good compromise for the street.

For us track guys, we don't want any oil, oil vapors or water / oil vapors in our intake track, so a completely separate type system with a breather works much better.

.....and very few of us change our oil weekly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave