Motive Brake Bleeder

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished installing a StopTech big brake setup on my 97 GTS and got a chance to use my Motive Brake Bleeder. Works great, much better than the old pump the pedal method. You can watch the fluid leave the caliper to be sure it is clean of any air and a single charge of 15 psi was plenty to completely refill and bleed each front caliper. Price is great and it can be used with nearly any car with the proper adapters. Seems to be a big improvement over the two man technique or speed bleeders. You can fill the reservoir with brake fluid so you can bleed all 4 wheels without having to refill the master cylinder. Customer service is great too as I originally loaned it to a friend and upon return the gauge was not working. I called Motive and the immediately sent me a new gauge, no questions asked, no need for a receipt or any proof of purchase.

Great product. Give it a try if you bleed your brakes with any regularity.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I agree Jeff. Great product and company. Offered to let me try it and return it for a full refund if I didn't like it. Can't beat that.

Just don't over pressurize the master cylinder. Reservoir is not a high pressure item and an explosion of brake fluid won't do your paint any good.

Another easy (but more expensive) solution is a Vacula vacuum bleeder. Very easy to use, but allows air to leak in around the bleeder screws so you're never quite positive all the air is out. Logic says it is and the pedal is rock solid, but a little disconcerting when you see all of the leakage air in the suction line. Doubles as a nice fluid remover for the power steering and rear end too.

</FONT f> Motive web site

Vacula Web site

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
What pressure do you use? My shop manual doesn't specify one, only that you use enough to get adequate flow. Motive says not to exceed 20 psi. 15 seems to work well for me.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff, Ron,

I was looking at this product from Motive. I have looked at a couple of posts in the past, but one question I haven't seen answered is if the Miller special parts called out in the service manual for pressure bleeding are required (Tool 6643 and Tool C-3496) when you use the Motive Pressure bleeder.

-Jim

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Universal Adapter works for the Viper. It is clamped to the master cylinder with some wingnuts. The specific part would be easier as it probably just screws on but is not needed.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I bought this product and have no idea how you got the universal adapter to work on the Viper. I have a 95 and tried what appeared to be 100 different angles for over an hour. I could never get the thing to hold any pressure.

I called Miller Tools 800-801-5420 and ordered the adapter for about $40...it's basically a cap but it rock solid. Jim, One of the two parts listed is the bleeder itself and it isn't sold anymore.

Then I cut the universal adapter off the bleeder and bought new fittings. I used a quick connect so it will be easy to use the tool on multiple cars. Just make a cap for each car, install a quick connect end and it will plug into the bleeder's other quick connect end.

The fittings I used were not easy to find...I tried multiple plumber shops. If anyone has trouble send me a note and I'll go to the place where I got mine and get all the part numbers for you to order. I guess I could take a picture if I could figure out how to post one.

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
40$ is pretty reasonable for the part if you do a lot of bleeding. I have seen people make ones using a spare master cylinder cap. I had no trouble getting the universal adapter to work as long as the small attaching chain was put below the lowest brake line. I also used the universal adapter to pressurize my exaust system to find a leak in my Random Tech cats!

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I called Miller and the bleeder adapter is $48.75, which is probably worth the timesavings in using it. All in all $100 for the Motive pressure bleeder plus the Miller adapter sounds like a pretty good deal.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, The Motive bleeder will come with the universal adapter which you will have to cut off. The Miller tool will come with a brass male threaded end (pretty small).

You need to buy a quick connect to match the Miller tool and on the other end a connector to the hose.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Jeff;

15 lbs is my max.

I was able to connect the Motive universal fitting to the Viper brake master, but not the clutch reservoir without making a wooden contraption to hold the chain.

Better solution for the clutch is the Vacula. Just push the rubber sleeve back on the clutch bleed valve, slip on a the wrench then the hose, step on the Vacula to begin the suction and open the bleeder. Amazing how dirty the clutch fluid was. Probably filled with decaying rubber from the clutch reservoir cap. Just remember to keep the master filled. Easy to get carried away and empty it.</FONT f>

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
Thanks for the information. I have been just emptying the clutch reservior and refilling with fresh fluid but it never stays clean. I will need to bleed it also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456