Motor Trend Salutes the Viper

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got this early in the week myself. Can this be purchased in a store? the ad makes it seem extremely limited....

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this...
2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR - 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show - Motor Trend
Viper_display.png

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Anybody remember Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, who dissed American cars in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"? He staged a race at Willow Springs, CA, between an SRT coupe, and a Lotus Exige, iirc, and according to fathead, they both crossed the finish line together. Sure, riiiiiight, uh huh, the Lotus keeps up with a Viper. Only in Jezza's dreams. Gotta wonder what Viper owner that was.

I know this aint Willow Springs, but times at Laguna are still telling of a cars' overall performance. Look at this chart-
Laguna Lap | Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Fastest Lap Road Tests - Motor Trend Magazine
The Lotus struggles to acheive a 1:45 at Laguna Seca, where the ACR does a 1:33. "Yeah, but the ACR is an aero aided car, with 80 sticky tires", I can hear him say. So what? Thats good for maybe three seconds at Laguna Seca? Even without the aero and sticky streets, the Viper would still trounce the Lotus. Clarkson's full of sh*t. I wanna kick that guy back to Britain. The nerve of him coming to Willow Springs.

Here's the Lotus Exige S at the Nordshleife- 8:25 !!!!
Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com

At Top Gear's own biased test track, where they test the SRT and the ZR1 on wet tracks, the Lotus Exige S does a 1:25 in the dry!!! Even the ZR1 did a 1:20 on a wet track. With its 80 tires, and aero, I'm sure the ACR would be in the 1:17s or better.
They later conveniently removed the "W" from the SRT's time, making it look like it did its best time on a dry surface.
Top Gear Track lap records - FastestLaps.com

Conclusion- (as if anyone with half a brain couldnt figure it out)
Top Gear is pure bs. Jeremy Clarkson is uhm, truthfully challenged.
An SRT coupe and a Lotus Exige S turn identical times at Willow Springs. Uh, huh, shuuuurrre.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think that was at the Streets of Willow. A tight, short course that favors lighter cars. Loti and Minis do well here.

Do the same thing on the Willow road course, and the Viper is more in its element.

I'll race anybody in anything if I get to pick the venue.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the 1-800 # and the woman I spoke with didn't know anything about this issue or if it'd be available on newsstands (or when). Anyone got any info about it? I'd rather buy locally vs. online if possible

Same here, i just ordered it to be safe. It was $14.95 out the door no shipping or anything. if it's bent I am sure they will send me a new one if i complain. I will let everyone know if and when it arrives. If anyone finds it on the newstand please let me us know!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is now on newsstands. I found it at Barnes and Noble. Price is $14.95 and it will be on the newsstands until 6-1-10. There were 10 copies left if anyone wants me to pick one up and ship it to you.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read it in grocery store today. Our own Grailkeeper Herb H. was in the story. The Vipers were the prototypes. The 89'Concept, a test mule, and the concept GTS. It was a very good read.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here, i just ordered it to be safe. It was $14.95 out the door no shipping or anything. if it's bent I am sure they will send me a new one if i complain. I will let everyone know if and when it arrives. If anyone finds it on the newstand please let me us know!

Yep, same as Chad here, found it in Barnes & Nobles: Motor Trend CLASSIC. :2tu:
~juli

wolowski

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought my copy at the airport this morning...it would have been nice to have a little more info about the cars themselves--more details about design, metalcrafters building the concepts, what condition they're in now, driving them, etc.--but it was still a good read.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody remember Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, who dissed American cars in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"? He staged a race at Willow Springs, CA, between an SRT coupe, and a Lotus Exige, iirc, and according to fathead, they both crossed the finish line together. Sure, riiiiiight, uh huh, the Lotus keeps up with a Viper. Only in Jezza's dreams. Gotta wonder what Viper owner that was.

I know this aint Willow Springs, but times at Laguna are still telling of a cars' overall performance. Look at this chart-
Laguna Lap | Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Fastest Lap Road Tests - Motor Trend Magazine
The Lotus struggles to acheive a 1:45 at Laguna Seca, where the ACR does a 1:33. "Yeah, but the ACR is an aero aided car, with 80 sticky tires", I can hear him say. So what? Thats good for maybe three seconds at Laguna Seca? Even without the aero and sticky streets, the Viper would still trounce the Lotus. Clarkson's full of sh*t. I wanna kick that guy back to Britain. The nerve of him coming to Willow Springs.

Here's the Lotus Exige S at the Nordshleife- 8:25 !!!!
Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com

At Top Gear's own biased test track, where they test the SRT and the ZR1 on wet tracks, the Lotus Exige S does a 1:25 in the dry!!! Even the ZR1 did a 1:20 on a wet track. With its 80 tires, and aero, I'm sure the ACR would be in the 1:17s or better.
They later conveniently removed the "W" from the SRT's time, making it look like it did its best time on a dry surface.
Top Gear Track lap records - FastestLaps.com

Conclusion- (as if anyone with half a brain couldnt figure it out)
Top Gear is pure bs. Jeremy Clarkson is uhm, truthfully challenged.
An SRT coupe and a Lotus Exige S turn identical times at Willow Springs. Uh, huh, shuuuurrre.

Yeah that guy is an idiot. This is the same guy and show that lined up a bone stock NSX against the new 2005 Z51 Corvette in a straight line 1/4 mile drag race. They complained of the Vette's clutch being to harsh. The Vette ended up losing by 3 cars:lmao: The guy is full of crap and hates anything American. That Vette with a man behind the wheel would have smoked the NSX...in a straight line of course :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave