My 1st Time to Gateway Drag Strip: Results

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

I finally took my 1997 GTS to the strip to see what she (and I) could do. I have the following mods: Tubes/Filters, Borla Exhaust, High-Flow Cats, 3.73's, B&M Shifter, Roe VEC 1 (set at low +4, high -16) on 17" OEM Pilot street tires with 11k miles on them (with no change in tire pressure).

I had 5 runs:
12.667 1/4, 2.123 60', 115.18 MPH
12.669 1/4, 1.994 60', 115.06 MPH
12.592 1/4, 2.074 60', 117.77 MPH
12.713 1/4, 2.191 60', 117.78 MPH
12.663 1/4, 2.123 60', 117.49 MPH

I tried to be in the 2,000-2,500 RPM range on takeoff with little wheel spin.

ANY SUGGESTIONS TO INCREASE MY TIME???

I bought Drag Radials from Jon B., so maybe that will help out. I hope you guys can give me ANY advise.

Also, what do you think for my 1st time out?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shift faster :) are you pulling on the shifter towards the next gear PRIOR to pushing in on the clutch? I was getting your times my first time out then I started pre-loading the shifter, went 12.3 - 12.4 next time out. With drag radials and faster shifting you'll go 11's hope you have a roll bar :laugh:

OP
OP
S

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You already own a Corvette...oh wait...that's an SRT-10 :shocked:

I'll try that shifting strategy out. I'm overwhelmed by all of the 2 responses I recieved, and one was buy a guy who owns a 2003 Corviper.

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try not leaving the line so hot, bring your RPM's down a little to maybe 1500 to 1800 until you get used to launching. Based on your 60's your spinning a lot out of the hole, this will come down once you figure out how to launch your car. If your getting drag radials and intend to go to the the track on a regular basis I would recommend upgrading your half shafts you don't want to blow one out at the track unless you have a trailer. I offer this based on my exprience, I am able to launch my car with Pilot sports between 1.74 and 1.81 60's consistently.

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What size drag radials did you buy?

I was hoping they would come out with a size for the 17 x 13 inch rears.

Thanks,
Jason

OP
OP
S

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got them in yesterday (BF Goodwrench Drag Radials).

18x3 from Jon B.

I also bought 2 extra OEM 18" Wheels to use for my radials. Also, per the boards advise, bought Unitrax Half Shafts.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I am in the learning process, but so far, it's really fun to track my Viper. Any other hints/tips I'll need?

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with the lower launch rpm, 1,500 is what I've done with street tires. Set the tire pressure at 22 psi.

What RPM are you shifting at?

I ran 12.30 @ 112 mph at Gateway with Mxx3's with the 94 I had with a 1.75 sixty foot time, but the track was sticky (the friday after the Craftsman Nationals). Even twisted a 1/2 shaft slightly doing it.

I'm hoping to set up a Drag Strip day for the Gateway VCA (if I can get enough interest).

It's time to see what my 97 GTS will do.

If you think you're interested email me.
[email protected]

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

First, lets get the terminology down. I think you want to DECREASE your times..... Just bust'in your balls, right VIPER SRT (Vette crack).

* Did you have to ride the clutch to prevent wheels spin at 2000-2500 RPM's? If so, try launching at a lower RPM, without riding the clutch as long. With the 3.73 gears, you should not have a problem bogging launching at lower RPMs.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a 6000 1 to 2nd shift and slightly lower 2nd to 3rd and make sure to slam 4th for the last hundred feet or so, ,I seem to be 5500-5700.

Holding out third is not a good idea in my book.

What is interesting in the runs that started this thread is a 2.5 mph variation and still the same times, actually a touch slower with the more MPH.

Do not slam the first to second as wheel hop comes into play unless your track prep is ideal.

Dry hop a street tire out of the waterbox to sling the crud off, not sure anything more is beneficial (other than Michelin shares).

I put some Kumhos on a month ago and the things are half gone already, I have to get out soon before they are toast to improve on my 12.1 119 with a 1.9x before it's too late!

best of luck,

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay. a more serious response. Lest you start making more corviper jokes. Hey I did not make fun of your car. ANd by the way I have an RT/10 also so I can't make the clown shoe joke back.

Anyway all the comments above are good. The time aspect is all in the launch. Minimum wheel spin, which may be more difficult with the 3.73 gear. If you can experiment with the launch engine speed until you can control the tire spin speed without a bog. With standard gears and pilots it is around 1500 rpm. Then easing into the throttle as you feel the tires hook up. A slip clutch shift to second or slight lift foot at the transition should prevent excessive wheel spin after shifting. I am not sure with 3.73's if rolling on the throttle in second will be contolled spin or not. Wish I had the gears to know. Also, with 3.73 gears I would expect an upshift to 4th well before the trap. With my 95 I shift just a little before.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Ryan "Try a 6000 1 to 2nd shift and slightly lower 2nd to 3rd and make sure to slam 4th for the last hundred feet or so, ,I seem to be 5500-5700."

My best 60's on Pilots were leaving the line 2400 to 2600 with 22 to 24 psi HOT. Sliiping the clutch and controlling wheel spin ended up with 12.2(only mod muffler delete).

Pracrice (IMO) is the #1 thing. It's all getting seat time in your car. What works for some may not for others. And I am sure your gears are more difficult to launch.

My 18 inch drag radials really helped alot. 3 tenths on my first outing and I will try them again in a couple of weeks. Good luck.