My 2001 just succumed to the infamous Water Pump

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out for a drive with the MRS on the interstate and all of a sudden I felt the A/C kick off and the temp gauge was heading North to the 250 mark. At this point I'm panicking since we both had left our cell phones at home (hey, just going to a movie) and I hit the slow lane with my flashers at around 40MPH (what a sick feeling). Engine was loping at around 1200 RPM and all of a sudden the temp drops right back to normal 190+/-. I accelerate to the next off ramp and the temp spikes right back to 250. As I sit wating to turn around, the temp drops back to 190. I get headed generally back home and as long as I keep the RPMs below 1500, the temp stays normal. Anything above 1500RPM, the temp spikes. I'm praying that the impeller holds together long enough to limp the remaining 10 miles...but about 4 miles from the estate, the gauge spikes again regardless of RPM so I figure the impeller has finally bought the farm...so I make a quick exit and coast into the YMCA of all places. I'll get a tow to the local Dodge dealer and take it from there. Just thankful that I was able to limp back to a somewhat secure area vice being stranded in 90+ temps on the Florida Interstate w/no phone. ***** since I had been looking forward for a cruise with the Mrs since she never gets a chance. Atleast she understands cars.

V

venms96

Wow, you handled the situation very well, and then ended up in a safer place. Great job during a stressful time.

I wouldn't have been able to even park my GTS in a movie theater parking lot then attend a movie for a few hours. We all know what can happen then.....

Good luck with the fix. Again, admire the way you handled it...in the Florida heat. We're all burning up, including PA. Helluva lot better than 20 degrees, with gray skies and slushy roads though, no complaints here.

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 84/100K powertrain warranty so hopefully it will be covered under that. Also, I have never had the system opened up so it was due for a coolant change anyways...thought somehow maybe a bubble got introduced into the system. Car has 14800 miles on it. Picked it up July 4th last year with 7700 miles. It was originally an Ohio car so those 7700 were seasonal miles. Obviously I get to drive it year 'round here in Florida. Have driven it on some hotter days with NO problems at all so this is a bit weird.
I just went to the "Y" to check on the car prior to the evening and started it up to see if it would peg the needle at 250 right away. Well, go figure. It seems to be cooling fine so I drove it the four miles to the house. Still drove it like I was on pins and needles keeping the revs down, so I don't know if the impeller is simply cool enough not to slip on its shaft or what (That's my fear at least). Nonetheless, I have the flatbed coming in the Am to take it to the dealer (about 10 miles away). I'll let them run it hard and see what happens. I have to have some sort of diagnosis othewise I'll never trust it on any out of town trips. I guess I'll answer one of the other posts first hand about Viper service in the Tampa area...!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be easy for any dealer with a viper tech. Just a lot of stuff to remove to get to it...Also a little tight up front with the hood on.

Good luck. And hopefully the warranty will cover it.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is. Took about 1hr to remove (cold engine). The first image is a bit blurry but shows the nylon impeller and the press-fit to the steel sleeve. This is what ultimately starts to spin on the shaft. It's actually fairly loose when I hold the front and spin the impeller. What a bad design. At least pin the darn thing on the shaft or spline it.
10676Bad_Pump_1-med.JPG

Here is a bit better shot of the pump.
10676Bad_Pump_2-med.JPG

And the casualty/wound.
10676Engine_1-med.JPG

I'll have a new pump tomorrow so with a little luck, back together by mid-week ready for action. All in all not too bad of a project to fix. New pump will run $235.00 plus the coolant, etc. etc.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric: Thanks for th update on your repair. Agreed, that's a lousy design for sure. Guess my days are numbered until my water pump let's go.....we shall see.