My apologies--I was wrong...

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am (was) a diehard Gen 1 and 2 Viper owner (still have a GTS) and a card carrying member of the "Gen 3 looks like an S2000" crowd. In fact I bypassed the 03-04 snakes in favor of a C6 ( a nice car). I now have 500+ miles on a Comm Ed 05 SRT and it is the most outstanding sports car I have owned (so Far) The sound (Corsa doesn't hurt) feel, fit and finish are extraordinary. The gawk factor is there in full force-- I see no difference between this car and my other ones in this regard. If I was forced to pick my favorite stying of the 3 I have owned, the GTS would get the nod, but in terms of overall driving ,the SRT is the best.

So to all you SRT guys, I admit it-- I was wrong. One thing I do regret is that I don't see the same "buzz" here on the board for the SRT. I am a charter board guy and back in the day, the passion, in my opinion was much stronger. Maybe the Coupe will help.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True all in all there is little to no passion on the SRT board. All the passion still resides on the GEN 1/2 board. Oh well i'm glad to see your happy with your SRT!

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Group hug .. its alright! I agree, the SRT 10 is simply an amazing car - my neighbor brought his Ferrari Spider over this afternoon - we put that next to my yellow snake and all I can say is the snake is so damn cooler looking and will crush the Spider from a power perspective - performance/handling well, thats a function of driver I think - great to hear you love that car! I originally had Bill Pemberton delivering a Commerative Edition a few weeks ago but at the last minute opted for Race Yellow - enjoy your car!

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a new VCA member and new SRT owner. I still drive a 996 turbo Porsche and ride a Hayabusa and Harleys. I agree the SRT is a fantastic car. I am 59 years young and one of the reasons I chose to buy the SRT is that it is a convertible and my wife and I enjoy open top driving in San Diego. Additionally, I have always been a fan of "nasty and attitude". It had come down to the 2005 SRT or a 2004 575M, only made as a coupe. As a new guy and a first post, I will most assuredly get creamed by posting this.

I have been watching the VCA forums for about a month. Maybe the passion you think is lacking could be in part that the Gen I/II owners have not exactly been encouraging to the SRT owners. Like welcoming them into the fold and introducing them to the passion. You know, show how it should and could be by sharing experiences and offering constructive advice. Instead they make fun of our rides. Recall how you felt when you first drove your Gen I/II? Not exactly easy to share that experience with that group that thinks it funny to compare someones $75k++ car with people that are card carrying members disparaging the rides they have as being a S2000, etc.

In my new guy, don't know what I am talking about opinion; I do not care that you now accept the SRT as worthy. How's that for passion?

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been watching the VCA forums for about a month. Maybe the passion you think is lacking could be in part that the Gen I/II owners have not exactly been encouraging to the SRT owners. Like welcoming them into the fold and introducing them to the passion. You know, show how it should and could be by sharing experiences and offering constructive advice. Instead they make fun of our rides. Recall how you felt when you first drove your Gen I/II? Not exactly easy to share that experience with that group that thinks it funny to compare someones $75k++ car with people that are card carrying members disparaging the rides they have as being a S2000, etc.

In my new guy, don't know what I am talking about opinion; I do not care that you now accept the SRT as worthy. How's that for passion?

Well said. :2tu:

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So to all you SRT guys, I admit it-- I was wrong. One thing I do regret is that I don't see the same "buzz" here on the board for the SRT. I am a charter board guy and back in the day, the passion, in my opinion was much stronger. Maybe the Coupe will help.

The passion for “over-the-top” performance cars has waned over the years because it’s just getting harder to remain “over the top” in terms of performance. Nowadays you can get an SUV grocery-hauler that will outrun a 1967 428 Cobra Jet Mustang. In other words, it’s just takes so much more in order for folks to be “impressed”.

The performance gap between the Viper and the daily driver is just not what it was 10 or 12 years ago. We still brag about the looks of the Viper but the Viper is nowhere near being King-Of-The-Hill in terms of performance anymore – that fact kills my passion a bit. All I have left to brag about are the looks (but that’s fine with me!!).

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please don't take this as a KNOCK on anyone here. As it does not pertain to anyone here at all.

As the passion for the Viper runs deep here, but it has been different with the 'New' GenIII owners that don't have the true Viper Passion.

I say this because I have met 5 different GenIII Viper owners on the road. Every time I had to chase them down pull up next to them to even get a hello. Smile, etc.
And that didn't come easy to them.
Truely made me mad I took the time to pull up next to them. 4 times I had to make a U-turn to catch them going the other way.

On the other hand, every time I see a Gen I/II on the steet, they are waving at me mile ahead, want to cruise a bit, stop and talk etc.

Not saying the passion isn't there. As it's obviously there for all the VCA members I have meet with SRT10s. But something about making it a little more Sleek, and user friendly has put quite a few POMPUS Arses behind the wheels of our beloved Viper! And these arses do NOT have a passion for the Viper!

Of course, this is just my summers experience around here. It might not be the same elsewhere.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We still brag about the looks of the Viper but the Viper is nowhere near being King-Of-The-Hill in terms of performance anymore – that fact kills my passion a bit. All I have left to brag about are the looks (but that’s fine with me!!).

Not sure I agree with you on the Viper NOT being the king-of-the-hill. Most test results still end up with the Viper winning MOST of the categories!

ZO6 could change that, not sure based on what I have read so far.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the viper is still king of the hill. almost magizanes are in favor of the z06. the magizanes have always like the vette and they always will.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is nowhere near being King-Of-The-Hill in terms of performance anymore

Amongst what other cars? Z06? GT? It was mentioned in another thread that since the performance is now closer than ever driver input will be the determining factor. I agree with that. But the King-Of-The-Hill trophy will be conceded when the rags no longer compare every other car to a Viper. So far, they're still doing it.

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys have to be happy driving your Vipers.
My favorite is when a pretty girl pulls up pacing you with her car until getting your attention. You then read her lips "I LOVE YOU". That's got to make you smile.

Second favorite is when your offered "I'll show you these for a ride in your Viper"......now that's another "spectacular smile" I've encountered.

Come on guys, you know you love your Vipers. I do !!!
Rob

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw the Z06 and whatever else may come out that may be faster than my Viper. The Viper is the last of the real muscle cars and a true American hot rod. Look at one, any year, any color, it is what it is. Is there anything else out there today that does what this car does for its owner? Don't think so. If someone in another car gets trounced, the owner's answer is to eventually dump it and buy the next lastest flavor of the year.

The Viper is like the 32 Ford, 40 Ford, 57 Chevy, 69 Camaro, and others; it's an icon. The nastiest MF on the road. When I get my butt kicked, I'm going to go home and modify. And when I get it kicked again, same thing. Because it is an iconic true hot rod that CAN BE MODIFIED. You think I can do that with a Porsche, Ferrari, or even a Z06?

In twenty years you will hopefully be able to find me on the road. I'll be the old guy with the 20 year old black SRT stuffed with a V-20 of 2000 c.i. and 14 turbos. They may laugh at me, but they will know what kind of car that crazy old guy is driving!

And now that I know, I'll be waving to everyone of you out there in your Snake, any year! I'll buy the coffee at the next stop.

Screw the Z06.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw the Z06 and whatever else may come out that may be faster than my Viper. The Viper is the last of the real muscle cars and a true American hot rod. Look at one, any year, any color, it is what it is. Is there anything else out there today that does what this car does for its owner? Don't think so. If someone in another car gets trounced, the owner's answer is to eventually dump it and buy the next lastest flavor of the year.

The Viper is like the 32 Ford, 40 Ford, 57 Chevy, 69 Camaro, and others; it's an icon. The nastiest MF on the road. When I get my butt kicked, I'm going to go home and modify. And when I get it kicked again, same thing. Because it is an iconic true hot rod that CAN BE MODIFIED. You think I can do that with a Porsche, Ferrari, or even a Z06?

In twenty years you will be hopefully be able to find me on the road. I'll be the old guy with the 20 year old black SRT stuffed with a V-20 of 2000 c.i. and 14 turbos. They may laugh at me, but they will know what kind of car that crazy old guy is driving!

And now that I know, I'll be waving to everyone of you out there in your Snake!

Screw the Z06.

very well said

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, who is this Larry cat? (wink) And why have I not meet him yet?

Are you going on the cruise Sept 17?

I like the SRT passion, keep up the great posts. As for me, with my NX a whole gang load of cars really have a tough time with me mods, or no mods. This Viper will not be embarrased very easily at all. Traction is my biggest issue.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To BLWNASP:

I would really appreciate the information on the 9/17 cruise. I do believe I can be there.
Thanks.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say this because I have met 5 different GenIII Viper owners on the road. Every time I had to chase them down pull up next to them to even get a hello. Smile, etc.
And that didn't come easy to them.
Truely made me mad I took the time to pull up next to them. 4 times I had to make a U-turn to catch them going the other way.

Wow. I've never seen that at all, but there are some people that are just stuckup wiseguys no matter what type of car they drive.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True all in all there is little to no passion on the SRT board. All the passion still resides on the GEN 1/2 board. Oh well i'm glad to see your happy with your SRT!

There is plenty of passion for Gen 3 Vipers. By and large, however, we don't show our passion by dissing the Gen 1/2 cars. Somehow, being a "passionate" Gen 1/2 owner seems to be associated with whining about how ugly and "soft" the Gen 3 cars are, and how Dodge has messed up the Viper's brand image by producing a car that supposedly can't keep up with the competition.

Just because we're not obsessed with arguing that our cars are better than anyone else's and that other cars **** doesn't mean we don't love our cars. We enjoy driving them, racing them, tweaking them, washing and polishing them, and talking about them. I've got over 20,000 miles on my car. I've got numerous days at the track and drag strip. I've got countless hours cruising on twisty mountain roads with the top down, with the sun on my face and the wind blowing on my scalp : )

There's plenty of passion here on the Gen III side. Perhaps you just don't recognize it.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I've never seen that at all, but there are some people that are just stuckup wiseguys no matter what type of car they drive.

I ran into one of these stuck up a**holes this weekend, except he has driving a Murcielago. Had great personalized plates that read "WHY TRYY" but guy was a d*ck when I told him I'll try. Now before people chime in and say he would have beat me and all that other jazz, I had an experience with a different Murcielago where from a rolling 40+ start he was not able to annihilate me as he thought he would.

I too like what LarryM has to say.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to wave at a guy in a Yellow SRT Viper the other day but he would not look over. I was in my Orange Lambo and I guess he was just too good to aknowledge me. I know he saw me. Maybe he'll see me one day in my Turbo Viper and I'll be worthy ... :rolleyes:

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry

go to Yahoo.com then click on groups

type in sdvipers and then search. This will guide you to the group and give you lots of info on gatherings. You might need to register with yahoo to do this and I suggest you do. E-mail me at [email protected] if you need more help.