My belt broke! Murphy's law does work!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My belt broke! Murphy\'s law does work!

I was coming back from KY to go back to AL from Thanksgiving.

I was doing some hard driving to kill the time, but then all of a sudden I see a ton of smoke coming out of my hood! I thought I was on fire!!

I quickly move to the side lane and open the hood. No fire..whew! But I had a busted serpentine belt! It musy have burnt up under some heavy loads from the pully. It melted my plastic tensioner pully. It was 5pm on a Saturday night 32 degrees on the side of 65 with nothing around. Statefarm couldn't find a wrecker service and I wasn't about to leave it on the side of 65 over the weekend. So I was thinking real hard how I was going to do this. A state trooper pulls over and tries to help...but he couldn't do anything either. I thought I would call Autozone and see if they had a belt. I was in doubt they would. Made the call and sure enought they had one!! The police gave me a ride in the back seat. It was kind of cool...people looked at me like I was a dangerous fellow! I gave them dirty looks just to add to the effect. I get the belt and buy a flash light with a $10.00 socket set and get to work on the side of the interstate. It was dark and freezing out. Come to find out the belt was the wrong size!! the cop had left and I was mad. But I looked at the belt and noticed i could by pass the A/C and whalla! it fit! I was able to make it home safe and sound.

So beware of the Autozone belt...they say it will fit, but it doesn't. I doubel checked the part number with them, but it showed the belt I had to be the right size.

When Murphy's law kicks in, it does at the worse times!!

Viper 8 R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My belt broke! Murphy\'s law does work!

Hey, ab! You showed real ingenuity, to improvise a fix that got you home okay - - congratulations.
Just wondering, how many miles on your '98 GTS before that belt smoked? I have a '98 RT, and now I'm thinkin' about carrying a spare serpentine under the spare tire (for those Murphy's Law moments). Thanks for the info - (but smilies disabled).

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nope, NAPA does NOT have them. I tried already. The one they show is for a Gen1, and I think that's without A/C.

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The National Street Rod Assn has a program they call "Fellows Pages" It is listing by state of all club members who are willing to help out a fellow street rodder. It's a voluntary thing to be included. Name, hometown and phone number can come in handy for just such a problem. I know I would help a fellow Viper owner who had a problem on the road and I'm sure many others would too. It is updated yearly when you pay your dues.

This would be a great thing for the VCOA to sponser. Any interest?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Murphys Law aside, here is "JonB's Rule of Spares":

"If You Carry A Spare ANYTHING......You Will Never Need It."

You experienced the Corollary.....

Suggestion to others: Install a new one at 36000 miles, and keep the good one as a spare..........

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nobody makes a serpentine belt for the Viper except MoPar. Happy holiday! (not)

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Jason, I will now if I get stranded!

GTS Dean...I think Napa has them too.