My first track experience

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love that track........no cops. ...I have spun on that same turn, almost the same way. Must be in the DNA of the car. Or the tires. Or the track temp. Or the humidity. Or the ambient air temp. Or the .............., certainly not driver error, anything but that, right? :2tu:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a fun track, in the sense that there's not much to hit.
This is my most frequented playground. Very safe compared to alot of other facilities that have walls and trees and whatever else right next to the paved portion of the track. I did see a WRX-STI loose it and hit a corner worker station though. Morning session, cool track temp, second lap, I had just entered the track, and half lap in, red flag went up. When I drove by the incident, I felt sick. Nobody hurt, but really damaged the car. He left on a flatbed. It was a fully prepped race car with a NASA driver. (he wasn't a poser so I don't know what really happened) Really set a somber tone for the day. I think we all drove a little more careful, realizing that bad things can happen. On a lighter note -no cops.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't the instructors use chatterboxes? All the yelling would make the instructor hoarse and the student deaf by the end of the day! Glad it was fun, now that you've had a little crack....makes you want more doesn't it?

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys! I had a blast and you're right DrumrBoy it is addicting and I do want more! :drive:

The track was High Plains Raceway in Byers, CO. It was a great track and I agree with you guys it is nice how open it is. When I spun out I was really glad there wasn't anything there to hit. It did shake me up a little when I spun out but fortunately I was able to get back out after that for a half an hour and build my confidence back up again.

I agree Allan it's gotta be something other than the driver (although my instructor went faster and didn't spin out but I think it was because I warmed the tires up for him hehe) :smirk: Also I agree no cops is always a good thing!

Passing is an awesome feeling but I think I got a little too confident when I passed that second car and went too fast into that turn and tried to slow down too late in the turn which caused me to spin out.

Thanks cfiiman it was a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend it!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new food vendor at Highplains is great as well. -way better than the previous guy. I always enjoy a great cheeseburger before rotating my tires at lunchtime.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a no for me....tinkering with the car to get ready for the CECA track day at Pueblo Motorsports Park June 9th. Are you coming down for that one? -NEW ASPHAULT. no cheeseburgers though. I've been pondering the NASA thing, just concerned about 'too much orginization and structure'. I enjoy having fun with the car without cops on my back for 'this or that' , is NASA a drag to run with, because of excessive regulations, or is it fairly common sense stuff that regular people can deal with? I like the CECA and ZCCC events cuz they're controlled and laid back at the same time, and plenty of track time. I talked to an SCCA guy prepping for their weekend while at an open lapping Friday last year, I'm not into that much structure. -not into waiting around for 3 hours to run 1 session then go home. I see that you are a full blast NASA dude, so how is it, really?

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about the food vendor. I had a cheeseburger too and it was really good. I haven't heard of the NASA event at HPR. I was going to go volunteer at the Pikes Peak race in Fountain, CO but maybe I'll do both. Can you tell me more info about it? I'm not familiar with NASA either. Is that similar to SCCA? Sorry guys just kinda new to all this stuff.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ha that was funny!:D

That's a cool track. Reminds me of a little of Thunderhill,and Buttonwillow. Glad you had a great time..

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NASA was basically started as an alternative to SCCA bcz everyone was sick of the tangle of SCCA regs. The main rules are safety related and include such as 'no dive bombing' and 'no contact.' NASA starts with four levels of HPDE (HPDE 1 is similar to CECA events, with an instructor on board)(HPDE2-4 are graduated levels of solo driving with point to pass thru level 3, open pass in level 4, etc). NASA Time Trial requires a license (gained after graduating from the HPDE 4 level, or having an equiv license in SCCA or NARRA, etc) is for high speed driving in an open passing environment without the 'contact potential' of wheel-to-wheel racing. TT is about setting track records. The main advantage of NASA is you're getting timed in HPDE 4 and above and competing, whereas in CECA or something you are just doing laps. CECA or other groups that don't allow passing in corners, to me is a non-starter, bcz i don't like following guys half way around the track waiting for a point by. Feel free to come out this weekend and hang out, ride along, whatever. I rent a carport, so find me there. I think if you signed up you would like it. Just start with HPDE1 and talk to your instructor about your experience level and they will quickly get you in the group with similar experience and you will have a blast. Guaranteed if you like the track.

There will be more cars at a NASA event than what you are used to seeing. Here is the entry list for HPR this weekend. http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=5164 note that HPDE 1-3 has their own run group so you don't have to worry about getting passed in corners and everyone is doing point-by passing with instructors on the track. Here is the schedule. Plenty of track time for all. http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=5273. The time between events is good to spend checking the car, making adjustments, and just socializing. If you are around someone who is racing or doing TT, you can also possibly learn a few things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That sounds awesome! Thanks for the explanation! Are you going to be there all weekend? I've already committed to at least one day volunteering at the Pikes Peak event this weekend but haven't picked a day yet. I would like to come to HPR the other day and meet you and learn more about the stuff you explained above. Which day and time this weekend would be best for me to come out to HPR? Also I looked up your profile, went to your facebook page and webpage and it was really impressive!

Thanks,
Jeff

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, come on Sat and stick around for the catered BBQ and party if you have a choice! It will be a fun day for sure! Sry to hijack the thread! Lol. PS-Hastings is a nice facility guys! I'm sure that will be a great event too!

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm glad you liked it. It was a blast! I can't afford to replace it if I wreck it either but I figure you only live once!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, not to be a downer, but you guys are aware the auto insurance policies have a disclaimer for racetracks or any kind of organized HPDE or anything like that. .........DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW. .....:omg:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the NARRA people said that a lot of insurance companies do cover accidents if it happens in HPDE. Simply because it is not "racing" since it isn't timed and there is no "competition" or rankings. I figured that I would be out of pocket if anything happened anyway, but hopefully I never have to find out. :)
I did recently change insurance companies and did tell the new company that I participated in these. The main reason they asked was for my umbrella policy, and they were fine with it, so at least I should be covered liability-wise if nothing else.
I'm still driving like everything is on me though. I'd rather leave a couple of seconds on the track than leave my car on the track. lol

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have an incident on the track, specially contact with another car, you are on your own. If you damage someone elses car, you will be held responsible for the damages, or whatever to the car owners satisfaction. (there are usually witnesses to what happened as well, other drivers, corner workers, spectators, staff, etc.) If you damage your own car only, and try to file an insurance claim without a police/accident report, you will have some legal issues to deal with as well as attempted fraud. (if you get caught that it happened on the track, and you were trying to hide that fact) Colorado has a law that you are not to leave the scene of an accident without the cops being involved. You would have to drag the car to the side of the highway, and 'stage' a one car accident.-(oops, I lost it, kinda thing) and make it believable. then call the cops on yourself and hope they don't figure it out. Investigators can find your name on the list of drivers registered at the track that day, and when you signed in at the gate. -remember? I'm not trying to turn you off of driving HPDE's and lapping days, just remember, be careful. I had to learn this the hard way. Don't follow my footsteps. It *****. I had to spend about seventeen grand to fix my Viper out of pocket. I filed an insurance claim, but I did not lie about what happened. I don't think you could get away with this lie anyway really. Again, not trying to be a downer, just keeping it real.....what they don't know, they will find out.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the NARRA people said that a lot of insurance companies do cover accidents if it happens in HPDE. Simply because it is not "racing" since it isn't timed and there is no "competition" or rankings. I figured that I would be out of pocket if anything happened anyway, but hopefully I never have to find out. :)
I did recently change insurance companies and did tell the new company that I participated in these. The main reason they asked was for my umbrella policy, and they were fine with it, so at least I should be covered liability-wise if nothing else.
I'm still driving like everything is on me though. I'd rather leave a couple of seconds on the track than leave my car on the track. lol
Exclusions for competition, racing -timed or otherwise. OR OPERATING THE VEHICLE ON ANY SURFACE OR FACILITY DESIGNED FOR COMPETITION OR RACING. my claims adjuster pointed this out to me. :nono:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not talking about lying about anything. Like I said, I told my insurance company I do HPDE days.
Just stating what was said (or read in something, can't remember) at NARRA.
I assume that everything is on me and it will just be a nice surprise is insurance does kick in. :)
I know there are some specific insurance policies you can get strictly for HPDE events if desired. If I start pushing it more as I run more events, I will seriously look at them. I got a quote of about $300 total (per 1-3 day event), with my car listed for $50k coverage.

It definitely depends on the company, and I wouldn't be surprised if more insurance companies are closing the loophole on the definition of "racing". I haven't gotten my full doc pages for my new policies yet, but I'll definitely check the fine print to see how they word it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an expensive, high risk hobby that is highly addictive and alot of fun. I know you can buy special insurance for just about anything. I'm choosing to just really be more careful and leave the ego at home. I drive hard and aggressive, but safely within my ability. I also do not trailer my car, so it is my ride home. -I don't like to walk. ........one thing about the track though, -no cops.

OP
OP
J

jlodwick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually I was just thinking if I damage my car I would just fix it myself and not tell my insurance company. I wasn't thinking about damaging another persons car. I agree with you Allen, I do this for fun and want to be as careful as possible which is why I got an instructor to teach me how to drive my car fast but also SAFE! I liked in the meeting before we went out on the track where they said these people all paid a lot for their cars and don't want them damaged so be careful. I totally agree with that.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I was just thinking if I damage my car I would just fix it myself and not tell my insurance company. I wasn't thinking about damaging another persons car. I agree with you Allen, I do this for fun and want to be as careful as possible which is why I got an instructor to teach me how to drive my car fast but also SAFE! I liked in the meeting before we went out on the track where they said these people all paid a lot for their cars and don't want them damaged so be careful. I totally agree with that.
You are thinking correctly. I just don't want to see someone else go through what I did. (tow truck ride home, three months without the car, the embarrasment of what happened, finding out about limitations of auto insurance, paying out of pocket to fix a stupid mistake) *****. Have fun, enjoy the monster car, but be careful, it will bite if you disrespect it. I'll probably see you at the track sometime.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala