"My Friends All Drive Porsches, I (just made) Amends..."

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"My Friends All Drive Porsches, I (just made) Amends...\"

I mentioned my neighbor, Gary (pseudonym, his real name is Ralph), who has the "last year they made the air cooled Pour-shhh." It's collectibility, he tells me, is based upon the decreasing numbers of air-cooled engines. That number is now tragically below the number of Whoppers ordered without pickles.

Frankly, I do not understand his logic in any of his collecting. He owns two ground-up restored Corvettes, a vintage Mercedes roadster, the Pour-shhh, and various other cars. He drives a 12 year old Chrysler van. It is cool; it blows blue smoke...sunset blue, and it has a cassette player (not currently functional).

He is the quintessential car collector. He built his home with a five car garage, and one space contains his top three colector cars. It also has an old-timey gas pump and early 20th century automobilia. The garage floor is finished and unscathed. The walls are lined with rolling tool boxes, and all drawers are filled with pristine tools.

He has no mechanical ability, and the tools are props, likely for a forthcoming movie about performing warranty work on Terminators.

He also collects high end tube electronics. He has no musical interests and no musical collection except for mint LPs that are unopened. He has four McIntosh tuners and three Fisher tube receivers among his collection.

Most of his time is spent on the telephone ordering more stuff for the shelves.

He also has a dedicated home theater with DirecTIVO, custom cabinetry and wall treatment to obviate standing waves. He does not own DVDs and does not watch television. He has a DLP projector and an SACD compatible DVD player.

I believe he catches up with the news while on the telephone with other collectors. He told me "that wall in Germany needs to come down."

His collections are designed to insinuate him into clubs and groups of the similarly obsessed (or possessed). Upon securing membership to these organizations, he camps out at their shows and gatherings with his comrads. In these settings, I am told, they discuss the collectibility of their collectibles and the desirability of being a collector, kowledgeable in the ways of collecting those collectibles. I have not a clue.

He drives each of his vintage autos around this area of town, on Sunday afternoon. The circuit spans ~3 miles. He then dutifully drives each in succession, along the same route, basking in the shock, awe and deep felt respect of onlookers. This is what he believes is occurring, and it is the duct tape of his psyche.

Life has been good to him...and his collections have been his raison d'etre.

He has truly been the belle of the ball.

This changed on Sunday, October 3, 2004, at ~2:17 pm EST. It was a cool and sunny day, relative humidity a bit high at 67% and there was a slight breeze (W/SW at 11 mph). There was nothing that foretold of the horror that was forthcoming. There was no way for him to prepare.

This is when the true limits of mortality became all too clear to him. It was not substernal chest pain radiating to his jaw and left arm, and it was not the discovery of a mishappen and multicolored mole on his back. It could not have been foreseen by colonoscopy nor prostate exam, chest xray or lymph node biopsy. It is sadly, one of those events for which we think we are protected, or at least, prepared.

At the aforementioned time, his world, as he knew it, came to an end.

My Viper had arrived.

People can be quite cruel or at least unthinking. Neighbors did not realize that their yelling "wow, what is that?!" or shouting "God, now that is amazing" or begging that "you can have my first born if I can drive it...just once."

They were unaware of uncaring of the impact this was having upon car collector guy.

The transporter blocked the street as, the drivers, Cletis and Jethro, unloaded the Viper. Those who may have otherwise ignored the arrival were held hostage by these two well-intentioned vehicle transport men. These two kind, yet decorticate, men moved at the same rate as fingernails grow.

When it was finally off the transporter, and Cletis had given back the mismatched wooded planks to Jethro, I was handed the key to the Viper. The gathering crowd gasped.

Car-collector-guy was ashen and making strange peeping noises. His wife tried to give him water, but it merely dribbled down his Vette Vues t-shirt...the one that reads "`Vette Riders do it in Bowling Green." Unfortunately, that is meaningless to the rest of us.

His Corvettes, Porsche and Mercedes have an ignition switch. My Viper has a big red button.

His Porsche sounds like a Singer Sewing Machine copulating with a Hoover Vacuum. I pushed the big red button of my Viper and the resultant sound communicated: "Beelzebub-is-pissed-and-looking-for-you...now pray"

My neighbor let out a small whimper. His wife went and got him a hat with crossed flags on it, but he had turned a smokey color, and it appeared that his lunch was about to revisit him.

One would think that the difficulty entering, starting and moving a Viper (a series of acts for which there is talk of an Olympic team) would be somewhat humbling, but... you cannot be humbled when a crowd gasps and little kids squeal. Jethro and Cletis were beyond overjoyed and took another dip of *****.

Nowadays, weighbors drop by regularly and ask me "how ya' like yer new toy?"

Collectibility guy has the shades drawn, and I believe I saw a Century 21 sign in front of his home...posted at garage level.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

Seriously, keep them coming!

I dont think much of anything on this board makes me want to head out in the ViPurrr as much as your series of stories.

PS- I didnt forget about you! been a little bust this week and I will get that e-mail written up ASAP.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

after reading this i went down carried my 5yr old daughter and 2yr old son up sat them in my lap and read them the story as there bed time story . At the end my daughter asked if they all lived happily ever after.I replied yes Alice did.As for ralph he has sought psych. help from alice and know is looking in VCA clasifieds as we speak.Thanx for the great story :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jamie:

Thank you for reading the story to your children. Collecting can be a pernicious disorder; education may be the only true preventive measure. The stories of "Ralph" are numerous and legendary. In some deep and secret recess, Ralph's pathology lurks within us all.

Nah, he's just weird.

Alice

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

In some deep and secret recess, Ralph's pathology lurks within us all.

Nah, he's just weird.

Alice

ROTFLMAO :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

nice story next tell us when you smoke him like a pack of kools.

Great owning a viper huh?

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: literature 101

Hey, you forgot the part that describes Ralphy.........He's stands about 5'1", has hands the size of my 9 year old, and wears his baseball hat quarter turned to the right (his right, our left) to cover up the new plugs. LOL!

Okay, not putting anyone down whos stands 5'1" or shorter, nor am I putting you down if you have small hands. Or even if you are loosing your hair..........it's all good. But please, be real when it comes to cars. And move aside when you see me coming!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"My Friends All Drive Porsches, I (just made) Amends...\"

His Porsche sounds like a Singer Sewing Machine copulating with a Hoover Vacuum. I pushed the big red button of my Viper and the resultant sound communicated: "Beelzebub-is-pissed-and-looking-for-you...now pray"

I particularly liked that part.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

His Porsche sounds like a Singer Sewing Machine copulating with a Hoover Vacuum.

Agreed. I've NEVER heard a Porsche that sounded real good and that includes the ones I see at the track. "Sewing maching" is a perfect example.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Oops - I own vacuum tube audio equipment but at least I don’t own an air-cooled sewing machine.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I admire every new Porsche Carrera that passes me, often too many to count.

But yesterday, I noted up ahead of me (five cars) was a triple black SRT-10.

I found myself annoyed that traffic was slowing my ability to get a close-up look at the Viper. It was an impressive sight.

I was eventually two cars behind, but I had a turn to make.

As I watched the Viper drive off, I marveled at how important it was to me to see a car no different from the one which I own.

My husband tells a tale of having stopped next to a Harley identical to his own. Both he and the other rider exchanged compliments regarding the other's bike. A girl standing nearby said "what is wrong with you two?... your bikes are identical."