My Hood Doesn't Stay Up - What to do?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for roughly $300 and an hours worth of work, id never have a block of wood, pool cue or golf club holding up the hood on a viper.

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well when I am on my drive way and since it's a hill. A good pair of Vise Grips work everytime! LMAO!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I did a search and read this post before lubing my hood springs. I have been thinking my hood is a real pain in the butt to open by myself since it is so heavy and awkward and I was going to lube the hinges/springs to see if this helped. Should I NOT do this?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too much and it won't stay up. I don't know what is considered too much/not enough. Somebody will probably give a good guideline. Probably no 2 hoods are the same.:dunno:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for roughly $300 and an hours worth of work, id never have a block of wood, pool cue or golf club holding up the hood on a viper.

Zero cost -- scrap wood. Works slick...stores easily next to the spare donut

813IMG_0657.JPG

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hood stays up fine. After reading all the stories I am going to leave it alone. I will just recruit somebody else to help me open it since once it is open it stays up fine. I wasn't thinking about it closing too easy. Dodged a bullet on this one. Just proves how helpful this forum is.

I will make it a point to do a search before I do anything even as simple as lubing a hinge which is apparently a no no. Who would have known. :2tu:

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a problem with degreasing the hinges. I did that , went on a trip to roebling rd( a sandy track) it rained on the way & home & I couldnt open the hood.
The hinges siezed up , needed lots of spray lithium grease & a few days to get it open!

Where do you put the vice grip to hold it open, I have heard this before but cant figure out how to make it work.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I did a search and read this post before lubing my hood springs. I have been thinking my hood is a real pain in the butt to open by myself since it is so heavy and awkward and I was going to lube the hinges/springs to see if this helped. Should I NOT do this?

Only if it is hanging etc would I lube it and then VERY VERY light and I still wouldn't lube all the areas. I screwed up and did mine one time...big mistake. I recently put new springs/hinges on a car and had to take them back off and soak in parts cleaner just to get the lubricant off. If it's just heavy and awkward don't mess with it....if two people can open it and it's "smooth" then I wouldn't mess with it.

Discussion on what lube to use if it's really having issues ? Something thin and only half way a lubricant like WD40 ? Kerosene ? Heck...oily water ? :D

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had he same trouble with my hood. I checked the support arms real close and 1 was at a different angle than the other. I used a 2X4 and a heavy hammer to straighten it out a little bit. Not saying this is your problem but worth looking at.