My impressions of my Silver SRT #332 ( verylong)

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A chilly 10 degree hello;

I will TRY to keep this brief but give details important to those unfortunate brethren/sisteren (sp?) anxiously waiting for their's to arrive.

Nothing about ordering a new Viper has ever been easy for me; maybe you too? It takes a lot of patience to wait for these things we dream of for 6 months or longer. This time, it was REALLY WORTH THE WAIT!

My Silver SRT arrived late on Tuesday the 14th at 7 pm. My salesman expected a call from Reliable for directions when they got close (allowing me, my drool-cup, fresh "Depends" on to get there for the unloading) but they just showed up and got her in the service area.

When I first saw the beast, I was immediately impressed with it's fantastic "sparkly" Silver paint and STRONG front fender creases. I slowly inspected every part hardly believing it was here at last. This baby has Porsche/Mercedes build quality in the fit and finish department. I opened the door, and heard the quick servo motor "zzz" for a split-second as the "smart-glass" thing lowered the window in a flash. The door handle operates so smoothly! I took off the set plastic and saw the fantastic new seats! I got in, and they fit me like a glove (I'm 6'2" 200 lbs).

Looking ahead, the new view of the hood is like driving the Batmobile! I was thrilled at the lower hood looking ahead, and the front fenders are super-creased and exotic looking. The louvers on the hood are BIG and bold. The whole view came to my attention as looking like a modified "W" shape with the middle part of the "W" rounded (the plenum dome). Now, the fenders had a 911 Porsche visual effect on me, (no they don't look anything like a Porsche), and I could see that I was going to feel connected with the road. The front fenders made me feel like I was in something VERY fast and almost a top-secret Stealth fighter Jet feel. This is the truth, I am not trying to be dramatic at all!

I was handed the keys. I put them in the ignition and felt something new; there is one of those "key release" that you have to push to get them out. I pushed in the clutch and turned the key; I forgot about the "Starter" button. I fired it up (very fun to push that button) and it sounded much better than my Gen II with Mopar Cat-backs; not quite as loud, but a BETTER sound to me (more later).I ran the shifter through the gears in idle, and shifting feels MUCH shorter and more precise than my Gen II's. I decided to turn on the lights. WOW, they are great. THEN, I noticed how incredibly bright the instrument lights were; WOW again, and they weren't even turned up all the way. And oh, the clutch pedal effort was very light and easy to me. The magazine writers DEFINITELY were smoking crack when they criticized that!

I got out of the SRT and was excited to try the new top mechanism. My salesman suggested checking the manual, and that is a MUST (imho). It said "open the trunk, lower windows half-way", or something close to that. My top was on the car when I first saw it btw. I pulled the inside latch (that sucker is serious) and the hook released. Got out, and folded it back as directed till it was flat; then, you give a little downward push on the front drivers-side corner and it clicks (barely heard a sound btw) into place securely. I don't THINK there is any way the top could deploy and lift by wind-force if you forgot to latch it; BUT, I don't wanna be the guy to find out. The top IS VERY, VERY WELL MADE. Nice rear GLASS window with DEFROSTER. Holy crap, this feels like a luxury car product, not a Viper! Before I closed the trunk (lid is big and tall open) I noticed our tiny molded trunk space. YOU ARE GONNA WANT THE MOLDED THREE-PIECE CARPET KIT (more on that later). You COULD in fact fit a conservative golf bag in there (NOT the Rodney D. CADDYSHACK type).

The shiney wheels are great looking in person; MUCH more so than you think from pic's. HEY, I haven't popped the hood open yet! There is an honest to God "moulded) plastic "T-handle" in the front grill! I pulled it, and the hood popped up about an inch or less. I looked and found a Yellow colored 2nd release and voila', the heart of the beast is BEAUTIFUL! Now folks, I have been fortunate to have owned many new cars (most foreign) and this engine and bay is literally PACKED and neatly so. No kidding, this bay looks like it rolled of the assembly line of a fine German brand or two. Everything has a place, and is finished very professionally. NOTE TO ALL: I think some polished or Red Anodized valve covers would be SHARP as an aftermarket further dress-up! The factory Red covers are very nice, don't get me wrong here please.

Closed the hood to take the first drive.. it is big, and you need to drop it from a foot or so to get it to latch (if that's how you want to do it). If you don't drop it, you would have to give a strong downward push; I didn't feel like forcing it that way. Time to put the top back up: open trunk, lower windows and pull top up half-way. Get in Viper, look for BIG recessed hand pulls on top. Pull towards windshield and STOP; CHECK THE MANUAL NOW. I did not, and I had somehow gotten the latch hook in the forward "latched" position. As I tried to pull the top down to latch it, it was stopped by the latch which was sticking out. NO HARM DONE. Just read, and be aware that you simply need to line-up the two pins on the top with their holes, and have the latch in the retracted position. Then, you will need to PULL DOWN FIRMLY with both hands to get ready to push the latch. When you push the latch firmly, that top snugs down TIGHT. I did it all over again properly in less than a minute. Look at the manual, and practice learning the latch mechanism; it is very simple to use, strong, and well made!

You can take a 10 minute break now.....sorry about the novel here folks!

The drive: Steering wheel feels great, brakes didn't utter a single squeak (yeah!) and feel great as I pull out of the dealership. OH, I forgot my seat belt. I pull over and look for it... it is on the drivers left side.. much easier to snap in. Off we GO! Stayed under 4,000 rpm (only touched four once for a second) this engine is great, shifting short and crisp (reverse still takes strength). Heater works like a charm (it was 17 degrees outside) Steering feels like a whole new confident world so far. Lights are very bright and almost "projector" focused in the right place. Fog lights really do something now. Dash looks COOL, and the guages are so easy to read. There is a rattle over a bump from the rear trunk area, what the... I stopped and checked; it was my license plate bracket and screw pack bouncing up and down. This is why I bought the "Moulded 3-piece carpet".

If there is any negative to report from my first drive, it is that pesky drive train "bucking" and clunking when driving at slow speeds and low rpm's. This is not really just like the throttle bucking that happens when you have 500 hp and go over bumps forcing your foot to press the pedal (you folks know this feeling). It is the noise that you hear when you let the clutch out in first, accellerate slowly, back off the gas, and then re-apply throttle and you get that clunk. After a few miles behind the wheel I learned how to eliminate it by shifting smoother and quicker (I was being way cautious and was distracted by all the cool dash lights).

I was told to NOT take it HOME that night so the dealer could check it over, or "service" it. I balked, but it was for my own good. Next day, I drove the 40 BEST Viper miles I have experienced to date. It was less than 20 degrees outside and let me tell you, this is the BEST Viper yet! Even with COLD tires and street, it handles like a dream and I noticed that the SRT seemed to have a much tighter turning radius (very convenient). TAKE YOUR FIRST DRIVE ON A NEW SMOOTH BLACK-TOP AND YOU WILL FEEL NIRVANA. On a stretch of old highway I thought my steering wheel came loose or something was wrong!? I CHANGED LANES IMMEDIATELY and it WENT AWAY. These big wheels and tires DO track the road like a Bloodhound, for better or worse. WE WANTED A RACE CAR AND WE LOVE IT THAT WAY!

The ride is firmer for sure and you feel the bumps; it is not a BAD feeling, just immediately responsive. Gawd, these brakes stop like your tied to a tree. I DID NOT NOTICE ANY EXCESSIVE HEAT AT ALL, but it was cold out and the heater was at about half-way with blower low. NO LONGER DID I FEEL LIKE I WAS RIDING BARE-BACK ON A WHALE AS I LOODE AT THE ROAD OVER THE NEW BATMAN HOOD! Tight, precise, space age.

One last thing you gotta check out! Look at the rear tail lights; the ruby colored lenses are so CLEAR and polished. Look deeper at the CHROMED LIGHT CULB FIXTURES! I swear, they look "Art Deco" or "Buck Rogers", almost a 50's space-age car thing. This was really icing on the cake when I really looked. Someone else here has got to comment on these and how COOL LOOKING they are! I got back to my garage and pulled in to start the "ZAINO RITUAL". It is a might shiney Viper now.

Then, it started to... SNOW... aaarrrgg! Garage bound now.

I hope you got some answers from this post folks. I just tried to write the details on how the beast works when using these new things- like the new top. If you have questions, please just post em' as responses and I'll be happy to share whatever I can for you.

Jim Wallace

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks;

I tried to be thorough in my post, but NO responses? Surely you must have questions?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the side mirrors really DO let you adjust them to see... .

There is a lot more to tell if you ask!

Thanks,

Jim

S

SUN RA KAT

Sounds like PVO raised the bar for all sportscars again. I'm looking forward to hear your reports when it gets civilised again, weather-wise.

My Viper has been a garage queen for the past week and probably the next, too - snow is predicted almost every day. I've driven my Viper on snow (caught in an unpredicted snowstorm) and it drives pretty darn good in 2" of snow, but the clean up of salt & road crud afterwards is so bad that I won't drive in the snow again if possible. I know you're hurting more than me seeing your Viper being a garage queen, if that's possible - Where global warming when we need it?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim -- sorry, would have replied earlier but I had to clean the drool off the keyboard. Sounds like a hell of a car; we can't wait for ours to arrive!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edward 96GTS:
I'm concerned about this "bucking" you speak of, can you elaborate?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when you have the car in 1st gear and you're not moving very fast, you let off the gas then you get back on the throttle barely opening the throttle the car will buck and lug because you are applying so little throttle. I've experienced it in both gen 1 and 2 cars.

Craig

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mmmmm. This is sounding so nice. Bill P called Friday and said mine went KZ- I can hardly wait. I have never so much as seen one at a show- this car is being bought totally on blind faith.

The throttle buck sounds no worse than my GTS was. I got the biggest laugh one time letting the dealer's "Cobra expert" drive my GTS up on the rack. He gave both of us whiplash in that 100 foot ride- then asked me to take it off after they balanced the tires.
rolleyes.gif

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations! Great write up. Just the kind of detail I was looking for. I do have some questions though:

1. How is the ride with the new runflats? Comparing my C5 with runflats to a Z06 without I immediately noticed a difference in ride quality and tire noise. How do the runflats on the SRT-10 strike you?

2. While we're on the subject of ride, could you be more specific about how "firm" the ride is? Contemplating the moonscape that passes for New York's roads I feel a twinge of worry.

3. Exactly how small is the trunk. The wife and I are used to loading up the C5 and going for long trips. Will I be able to do this in the SRT-10?

4. How pervasive are interior noise levels?

5. It may be too early to tell but do you notice the changes (hp+ weight savings) to the power-to-weight ratio over the GTS?

6. There have been a lot of complaints, most of which I think are misguided, that the new car does not look the part of a Viper. How did the public react to the car and was there any doubt among spectators that it was none other than the legendary icon?

Look forward to the feedback. Congratulations again. Since the car is snowbound perhaps you could kill some time by posting some pictures
yesnod.gif
?

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bwright, craig 201, Richard;

I'll do my best to answer your great questions. THIS kind of INFO SHARING is what makes the VCA site so helpful and REWARDING when people are kind and negative/positive in a constructive way!

The "Bucking": Craig 201 elaborated in a more concise description than I was able to. The "bucking" is normal for the three Vipers I have owned; including the SRT. It seems as though there is a bit of play between "throttle on/throttle off" at slow speeds. It's kind of a clunk sound that I think is the drivetrain getting told to go? It happens the most during slow city driving when you are DECELLERATING at say, 20mph(or usually less) approaching a red light that turns green and you then apply a little gas and there is a clunk sound. It may be the rear diff transferring power to the half-shafts or axles? I am IN NO WAY A TECH, as you can see! The "clunk" dissapears when you SHIFT QUICKER and MATCH REVS more agressively. THI IS NOT SOMETHING TO FEEL IS WRONG, DEFECTIVE, OR BAD in MY opinion.

Another comment on "bucking and clunking sounds".
Please do read this and ask your tech IF you have EVER experienced this DUMB MOVE I executed.

In my Silver 98' RT-10 (which was very broken in) I was having a great drive one afternoon in the summer and decided to try some aggressive shifting (downshifting in particular- as if I was getting challenged to race when at highway cruising speed-65mph) by shifting from 5th gear QUICKLY to 3rd gear and nailing ot HARD.

Well, after feeling the WILD acceleration rush of doing this perfectly and feeling VERY satisfied with my "bad self", I SCREWED UP... and WENT INTO FIRST GEAR BY MISTAKE AT 65mph! Holy crap, TALK ABOUT SCARY DECELLERATION! The engine SCREAMED to red-line, I was laying rubber and swerved for a split-second. I immediately pushed the clutch in, and all was immediately fine. When I pulled up to my exit, stopped, and then shifted at slow speeds I heard that the "clunk" was louder than before so I drove to my dealer, who is nearby.

My Viper tech said that he had recently recieved a "tech notice" about play in the wheel "Splines", ant that he would replace them under warranty. He did, and the "clunk" was greatly reduced. He checked the tranny, and looked for bent shafts, axle, or whatever could have been stressed by MY DUMB MOVE. The "Bucking" is something different.

The "Bucking" I and others have felt,is caused by the instant application of our 450 hp engine and our UNINTENTIONAL foot pressing on the gas pedal when we go over a series of BUMPS at SLOW SPEED. The car bounces, our body bounces with the car, and our weight shifts front to back in reaction to the bumps and our legs pump the gas pedal unintentionally; SO, we experience UNINTENTIONAL "Bucking"! You feel like your at the Rodeo for a few seconds. I learned to just push my clutch in instead of lurching into the car in front of me. WE MAY NOT WANT TO ADMIT IT, BUT I AM SURE WE HAVE ALL EXPERIENCED THESE EXAMPLES. I like to drive it as much as possible. I don't abuse the Viper, but I DO like to push it when it looks safe.

The Trunk: YES, IT IS A SMALL TRUNK. Make sure to buy the "3-piece Mopar Moulded Trunk carpet set". It looks GREAT, and REDUCES ROAD NOISE! I can swear to that as a fact. It attatches with Velcro strips, which come already attatched to them. LOOK AT JANNI's POST AND LOOK AT HER GREAT PHOTO'S- SHE HAS A PIC OF THE MATS INSTALLED.

Finally, WHEW! I am going to Ziebart to LOOK CAREFULLY at the POSSIBILITY of spraying their Black "SOUND SHIELD" to the WHEELWELL'S ONLY. The SRT has BIG tires, hence road noise I don't love to hear, personally. I WILL TAKE PICS IF I DO THIS. I DID do it to my Audi "Allroad", and it made a BIG difference to my ears. The stuff IS REMOVEABLE with common petro based solvents by my local Ziebart "tidt car" place.

Oh, the Run-Flats are great, and they do hunt BAD roads and their ruts. On SMOOTH roads, they are fantastic. YES, the ride feels FIRMER that my 98' and 01' RT-10's, but the CONFIDENCE INSPIRING steering and tire grip is entirely IMPROVED over any previous Viper in "stock" form. I agree (I usually don't) with the mag writers that the suspension could have been made more "city Friendly", but then, it wouldn't be what we all wanted and voted for. It is a real track-ready race car we can drive everyday.

The new body is "ALL VIPER" and I LIKE IT BETTER THAN MY RT-10's. The SRT DRIVES better than my other Vipers. I now have NO INTEREST in going back to the older Viper; I like the SRT that much! This is MY personal opinion, as I LOVE ALL VIPERS!

Thanks Dodge!

Jim

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

WOW - thanks for a great write up.

a couple of questions:

1) How is the finish around the exhaust outlets (on pics they look kinda strange - admittedly, I have only seen the oval ones on the one of the first show cars but I really liked them).

2) Future hardtop option - does it in your opinion look possible or ?

Thanks again

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Hans;

I am starting to fell like Herman Melville or Ernest Hemmingway! At 46 I am finally using some of my Literature degree. Sorry I slept during the "Grammar" class, so forgive me please.

Hans: I just went to the garage to give you a more detailed description as follows: The actual "exhaust tube" is BLACK on my Silver SRT. The "tip" of the tube is angled to meet the angle of the body of the car. The "Black exhaust tube" does not really have ANY "tip". The Black exhaust tube is centered in the painted Black area around the exhaust opening. I assume the Black paint accent around the exhaust exit is "High-Temp" Flat-Black paint for durability.

Could it be dressed up?: Hmmm, not sure how, except for maybe a "Black Anodized/ Brush Finish" trim ring that would attach to the "Black painted exhaust surround area". I don't really know how much visual benefit it would provide us. A high-quality aftermarket supplier like MGW would be a candidate for this job. I think it (the trim-ring) would have to be attatched with screws and not glue? Then again, there are some super-STRONG glues out there in the market; the glue would have to withstand high temps. FINAL NOTE, Hans: The actual "exhaust pipe" does NOT touch the Black "accent Paint", so heat might NOT be an issue?

Craig 201mph; NO the removeable "ash tray cup" does not reveal a "this is not a cup-holder" sticker- at least on my SRT.

BWRIGHT: I think your question was about the run-flat's and ride quality and firmness of the suspension, and a couple of other things: First: the SRT IS "ALL VIPER" in looks and performance; BUT BETTER. The look out at the hood from the drivers seat is very powerful and exotic as I have said before. This new Viper is the Batmobile!

YES, the ride is firmer, and bumps are more pronounced than in previous Vipers; however, the ride is also "better" than before. It is hard to explain, other than the steering, stiffness of the frame, and the bigger tires and wheels make for better control confidence and handling. The sensitivity to bumps is NOT HORRIBLE, but it's the trade-off we make for performance! The BRAKES are fantastic, and I have not heard even one squeak or squeal! I haven't even seen any Brake dust. I only have 50 miles behind the wheel of this Viper (snow) but time will tell.

Keep those questions coming folks! If you read my previous main posts on this page, (long, I know) I think you will find most answers covered. If not, please let me know!

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang