My insanity continues

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked over at the z06 posts -- the new Z is real -- all the specs confirmed -- looks like the price is $68k. Might stay with the Vettes -- that strike price coupled with what $20k worth of mods would do is compelling --- thanks for all over your input over the past few weeks. See ya later!

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo63,

To be honest, unless you get lucky and got one of the Vipers that supposedly never has a problem, I'm not
sure you would be happy with the car.

You seem to be a pretty carefull consumer, and the Viper
is all about raw emotion. Without the raw emotion to
outweigh all of the Viper's very real shortcomings, I'm
not sure too many people would be satisfied with their
purchase.

The cars are awesome fun when everything is working right and the car always evokes a lot of attention when driving it.

But it is hot, noisy, and prone to mechanical failures.
The build quality is on par with a Yugo as far as misaligned
body parts, gaps between doors, clunks and rattles.

I tend to overlook all the little stuff, like heat, gaps between the carpet and firewall, etc.

I tolerate the way the car tries to kill you when you hit rough pavement on a busy interstate and then the car decides to hop over a lane or two.

All of that is worth the fun and excitment of driving it hard.

But the only thing that really bothers me, is the mechanical problems and Dodge's lack of support.

But if I were more of a perfectionist and expected my $85k car to be comfortable, reliable, and well-built, as well as fast and pretty then I would be very, very unhappy.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turbo63,

To be honest, unless you get lucky and got one of the Vipers that supposedly never has a problem, I'm not
sure you would be happy with the car.

You seem to be a pretty carefull consumer, and the Viper
is all about raw emotion. Without the raw emotion to
outweigh all of the Viper's very real shortcomings, I'm
not sure too many people would be satisfied with their
purchase.

The cars are awesome fun when everything is working right and the car always evokes a lot of attention when driving it.

But it is hot, noisy, and prone to mechanical failures.
The build quality is on par with a Yugo as far as misaligned
body parts, gaps between doors, clunks and rattles.

I tend to overlook all the little stuff, like heat, gaps between the carpet and firewall, etc.

I tolerate the way the car tries to kill you when you hit rough pavement on a busy interstate and then the car decides to hop over a lane or two.

All of that is worth the fun and excitment of driving it hard.

But the only thing that really bothers me, is the mechanical problems and Dodge's lack of support.

But if I were more of a perfectionist and expected my $85k car to be comfortable, reliable, and well-built, as well as fast and pretty then I would be very, very unhappy.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
I don't think Dodge will use this anytime soon in a billboard ad campaign!!! :D

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a long time Vette owner, with 4 C5's since 1999, I can tell you that build quality on the Vette isn't much better. Rattles, loose parts, wind leaks, column lockups, gas tank senders, TPS failures, oil consumption, ...... And you can count on those $20K worth of mods bringing you plenty of additional mechanical issues as well.

Yes, the cars are much different.

Yes, I do miss my Vette's.. and wish the SRT had more of the "basic" functions one should expect these days.. heck, at least a cruise control would be nice once and awhile.. But, you buy a Viper for different reasons than you buy a Vette..

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wanted a Vette because I thought I could never afford a Viper. Things changed and when it came time to buy, I bought an SRT-10. The main reason, I wanted something different. There are only three Vipers in town including mine and the population here is 83,000.
I see two are three Vettes every time I take the Snake out for a short cruise around town. When I go to the local car shows, the Vette guys don’t like for me to park near them. People will walk right by the Vettes to look at my Viper.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the Vettes and have a number of good friends that drive them. They are a great set of wheels and a great value.
As for problems, I can’t speak for other Viper owners, but the fit and finish of my Viper is excellent. I have had no problems with my Viper and as far as comfort, I have made several 500 mile plus a day trips and enjoyed them.
FYI. I am not a young guy.
I am proud to own Viper. :usa: :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather