My new to me 2000 GTS and Thanks to A&C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last December I bought a used 2000 Grey/Silver GTS from a private party out of state.

The car was close to as claimed. It was clean, 5K miles and had an LPE 540 motor in it along with a few other goodies. Disclosed was the fact the sidesills were turning color...ok, not the end of the world.

So I take delivery and like I said it was close to as claimed. there were a few details that needed to be fixed and cleaned up and I did those. And though it was stated that the car ran great with no issues, I found it did not like to run steady state at cruise..anything over 2500RPM seemed ok or WOT...but driving it in stop and go traffic was a nightmare to say the least.

I had planned to get it up to A&C if for nothing else to check the AFR before running it hard much. However, I quicly knew it was going to need some tuning effort so I got the car up to A&C.

he's had it now for a few days and after considerable effort, including some late night phone calls, changes in direction this is what he's been able to gain

The car made a baseline of 590 rwhp amd 603 rwtq. Todd found it would a limp mode when the rpms dropped extremely low. We revied the cam specs and it's huge by any comparison. .650 lift. 250 dur at .050. So it's not a surprise on drivability.

Todd discussed and talked me into going AEM. As of now the best pull has been 663rwhp and 686 rwtq

This after I told him, work on drivabilty, I don't need more power.

Todd get's both....

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice! I dont take my ride anywhere else.

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me this lpe 540 motor and what it has to make that power. Im guessing 540is the displacement? Amazing numbers btw! Post some pics!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like great power. My question to you is....... how are you going to get it smogged with an AEM? Particularly now with the new smog law that just went into effect Jan 1.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY why the man that I sold my HEFFNER TWIN TURBO VIPER who lives
in New Hampshire had to put it up for sale......because it has the AEM he could not get it to pass inspection..I felt bad for him....he has had it now for two yrs...and it is a great Viper.....so I bought it back....He was crazy about that Viper and would never had sold it if he coulda got a tag for it........He said there are quite a few states that the AEM is not gonna pass in.....glad we don,t have that problem in FLORIDA....

TE=Camfab;3146559]Sounds like great power. My question to you is....... how are you going to get it smogged with an AEM? Particularly now with the new smog law that just went into effect Jan 1.[/QUOTE]

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last December I bought a used 2000 Grey/Silver GTS from a private party out of state.

The car was close to as claimed. It was clean, 5K miles and had an LPE 540 motor in it along with a few other goodies. Disclosed was the fact the sidesills were turning color...ok, not the end of the world.

So I take delivery and like I said it was close to as claimed. there were a few details that needed to be fixed and cleaned up and I did those. And though it was stated that the car ran great with no issues, I found it did not like to run steady state at cruise..anything over 2500RPM seemed ok or WOT...but driving it in stop and go traffic was a nightmare to say the least.

I had planned to get it up to A&C if for nothing else to check the AFR before running it hard much. However, I quicly knew it was going to need some tuning effort so I got the car up to A&C.

he's had it now for a few days and after considerable effort, including some late night phone calls, changes in direction this is what he's been able to gain

The car made a baseline of 590 rwhp amd 603 rwtq. Todd found it would a limp mode when the rpms dropped extremely low. We revied the cam specs and it's huge by any comparison. .650 lift. 250 dur at .050. So it's not a surprise on drivability.

Todd discussed and talked me into going AEM. As of now the best pull has been 663rwhp and 686 rwtq

This after I told him, work on drivabilty, I don't need more power.

Todd get's both....

Holy crap that is a huge cam!

Those are impresive #'s thats for sure. Enjoy the car!

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that car makes a lot of power but do you think it needs a cam that big. That's a huge duration! How is the tq curve? Does this mean I can get a ride this weekend?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl.<br>
<br>
Glad you are getting it sorted out. Those Lingenfelter engines can be really strong. I remember the look on your face when you arrived at the Toys for Tots event. Looked like you just went 3 rounds with Tyson. You must have been going crazy driving on the city street, from stop light to stop light.<br>
<br>
See you on the track.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't pick the build. The last owner sent it to LPE and asked for the big motor and a bunch of other stuff. Spent close to $80K, I have the receipt. Drove it very little afterward. He wasn't a car guy, just a guy with alot of money. I on the other hand I am a car guy, will very little money. I thank the rich guy for his efforts.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was probably because the car was unregistered and I had my plate on it from another car...that day anyway. And we were going where?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Armen did you get your Viper all sorted out with Chris? :drive:

Chris came over on Sunday and spent a solid 4 hrs. dialing the car in. Not to derail Catwood's experience with A&C, but we're blessed to have such great tuners here in SoCal. My car, like I'm guessing Catwood's had turned into an undriveable bull.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was probably because the car was unregistered and I had my plate on it from another car...that day anyway. And we were going where?

It was nice meeting you at the toy drive! You had nothing to worry about at the destination haha. I was up at A&C yesterday and your car sounds nasty! Those are great numbers it put down.

Kevin

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris came over on Sunday and spent a solid 4 hrs. dialing the car in. Not to derail Catwood's experience with A&C, but we're blessed to have such great tuners here in SoCal. My car, like I'm guessing Catwood's had turned into an undriveable bull.

Nice, lets have some fun brother!

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know (at least this was the case a few years back), if you pay registration on time and do not complete the smog check during the mandated year, the following year you get a "concession" sticker -- no smog required. Of course, you can only drive the car one year for every two, but it's something :)

Enjoy the car!

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:beer:Nice Viper......enjoy.....:drive::drive:

OTE=SingleMalt;3146801]You know (at least this was the case a few years back), if you pay registration on time and do not complete the smog check during the mandated year, the following year you get a "concession" sticker -- no smog required. Of course, you can only drive the car one year for every two, but it's something :)

Enjoy the car![/QUOTE]

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carl has been patient. The car is just about ready for delivery. Just have to do a tad more driveablilty. And then its all set. This thing picked up killer numbers jumping from 590rwhp on a 45 degree day 663. Torque went from 603. To 688. Its a beautiful car. Ya stole this one Carl!!!!

Todd

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd is great.

LPE cars are fun , I have a LPE ZR-1 and its a blast.

Glad you are getting things squared away ---

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, do you have a dyno graph? Would love to see what it looks like.
On the tuning, if I may ask, are you using O2 feedback for the AFRs?
thanks!

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He's not allowed to post it until I get a hard copy. LOL

I have the LPE one that came with the car...that will be in interesting comparison. They claimed 638 but no ARF so he's beat their number

Todd, do you have a dyno graph? Would love to see what it looks like.
On the tuning, if I may ask, are you using O2 feedback for the AFRs?
thanks!

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Per Carl I wont post. I actually spent a long time on the dyno and road tuning. I am not using the aem to follow target afr's. I did all of the various load tuning on the dyno cell by cell. I am very happyt and think Carl will be too. Pulls harder then alot of supercharged cars!

Todd

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
here is the dyno sheet.

Car is a beast but a tame beast just driving normal crusing around. But it wakes up fast.

I crused in 6th gear all the way home up and down hills all at the speed limit which was about 14-1500rpm. I loaded it as low as 1200. No issues no bogging.

Then I said, F dis....

And had some fun:omg:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456