My Review of the updated Roe Catback Exhaust for GenI

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow.... That was the first thing I said after firing up my 94’ with Roe’s new exhaust and high flow cats. The old setup he previously included before was a 15” muffler on each side. Now the setup comes with a 24” muffler that maximizes deep tones. I’ve heard the old one before and I must say, this setup tweaks out any raspy high pitched tones previously heard. Compared to stock, the idle is now low, deep, and louder, but not annoyingly loud. The idle tone is so low it vibrates the siding on my one car garage. High revs are distinctly exotic, definitely louder and way more commanding. Mid revs are decent and have a grunt. When letting off the gas there is low pitched popping at exactly 1500rpms and below that sounds like thunder from a distance.

Because of the length of the mufflers, drone is quieter and has shifted up past cruising speed into the 2500 -3500 range. The drone is more noticeable than stock, but it isn’t overpowering like other setups I’ve heard. The Corsa has less drone, but everything else sounds better on this Roe. Overall, it sounds great while in the car, but sounds like a beast from the outside. A friend of mine that has been with me to a few Viper meets and car shows said this setup is the best sounding he has ever heard and he’s an honest critic. I let him take it for a quick spin so I could hear it for myself since he kept saying it sounded incredibly better from the outside. He was right, the sound is by far better than any side-pipe Viper exhaust setup I have heard so far, and better than most straight-backs with the exception of one grey GenII that was at the Grand Prix where I got to hear about 50 Vipers and ask questions about exhaust setups. The new Roe is like WWII if straight-through pipes are considered WWIII, just without the raspy sound affiliated with straight-through side-pipes. It no longer sounds like a UPS truck or two five packs. It sounds like an exotic muscle car.

Performance is definitely there. Roe guarantees 25rwhp with this exhaust and I definitely feel it if not more. The HP seems to hold further into the end of the RPM range, where before it kind of lopped off after 5200rpms or so. Flow is noticeable just by putting your leg in front of it. The side-pipes are like leaf blowers when I go down my driveway. And heat is greatly reduced inside and on the sidesills.

Installation was easy and took six hours taking my time. The only complaint I have is in the instructions. You need to give yourself and extra 1/2 inch more pipe on the manifold turnout than what Roe prescribed, after measuring twice and cutting once, I'm glad I did. The other thing is the instructions say you can just slide the old exhaust out from the hanger after cutting. This is not the case, you need to unbolt the hanger and pry the hanger off the old exhaust with a pry bar and much force. The new exhaust will slide on with ease since there is no flange at the tips of the hanger.

Here are two clips, but my camera mic doesn’t do it justice. I can’t post any idle sounds because my camera just can’t handle the bass tone and it comes out muffled.
http://jhiske.com/images/Viper/Viper_Roe.avi
http://jhiske.com/images/Viper/Viper_Roe2.avi

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
nice writeup can the org system be saved and put back on ?just wondering as you mentioned cutting..also do you have stock headers...thanks again

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey,
Glad you like the sound of the new mufflers.
It sounded great to us in the shop and in our tests, but we really prefer the feedback from others.
Thanks for stating what you found needed to be improved on in the directions. I'm editing them today.
Regards,
Sean
PS, yes, the stock system can be put back on. To remove it requires a single cut through one pipe on each side. To reinstall would require that cut to be welded back up as there's no room to add a clamp.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
nice writeup can the org system be saved and put back on ?just wondering as you mentioned cutting..also do you have stock headers...thanks again

Original can still be welded.

Hey,
It sounded great to us in the shop and in our tests, but we really prefer the feedback from others.
Thanks for stating what you found needed to be improved on in the directions. I'm editing them today.
Regards,
Sean
PS, yes, the stock system can be put back on. To remove it requires a single cut through one pipe on each side. To reinstall would require that cut to be welded back up as there's no room to add a clamp.

No problem, it's a great product. The best $900 I spent on the Viper so far.

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
Regards,
Sean

Hi Sean--that was a great write-up on the exhaust...we also have loved our Corsa Track/B&B stepped headers sound!!! :2tu: To put this right out there..not to put you on the spot, but do you have any ideas of the '03-'06 supercharger status??? I usually email you, but others have wondered as well....so figured I'd ask you since I saw your post.
Our best to you and to your quality products!~! ~juli

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJames had the Roe setup on his GenI I believe and I always loved the sound from it. I could hear him miles away. :D Give it a few hundred miles and then go to a dyno to log your power, torque and AFR.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJames had the Roe setup on his GenI I believe and I always loved the sound from it. I could hear him miles away. :D Give it a few hundred miles and then go to a dyno to log your power, torque and AFR.

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhh...ViperJames' setup was AWWWWWWWESOME....as Tony said, heard him coming from MILES away...sounded GREAT! LOVED that car...juli

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I will not be sneeking back to my garage at night by just coasting down my road at midnight anymore...

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok one more question before i order is that the sys pry (above asked about) and is it ok to use this system on a 95 without headers (mines basicly stock) on another note i got my vca member number today

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang