My Seized engine.

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's been about 6 weeks since my engine was pulled after it seized at 3,000 miles. Details in my previous posts. Little or no feedback from dealer. Service rep called and said it would he available to pick up this week. After the problems I have had with the brakes completely failing and now the engine, I am considering lemon lawing the car. (Meets Wisconsin criteria of one problem requiring greater than 30 days to fix.)I have 2 issues I need advice about:

If I lemon law it, who do I start the negotiations with at DC ?

If I keep it, how the hell do you break in an engine when it's 3 degrees out? Let it sit? Drive it when it hits the mid twenties? Anything to consider from an engine break in stand point when it is very cold? (I understand the traction issues of the runflats, cold weather etc.)

Thanks

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read your earlier post, did you ever find out why you lost so much oil

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are extremely lucky to have the lemon law - we don't have it in Canada.
If I was in you situation you bet I'd use it! Who would want to buy your car later on down the road when you decide to sell it?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hire a local lemon-law lawyer who will probably get you full recovery and his fees paid as well. I've never dealt with DC but others will give you the runaround, suggest useless mediation and other wastes of time, until you bring in a lawyer. Don't do it last, do it first.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any serious problems with a brand new car (especially one over $70k) would be a serious breach of contract in my book. You agreed to a buy a car and DC agrees to give you a brand new perfect working Viper. Until the car runs perfect or is replaced they are in breach of contract. A lawyer would be the way to go.

OP
OP
F

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not seen the Arrow Report but the service manager states the conclusion was "oil starvation" as the cause. Not to beat a dead horse, but the oil change at 500 miles was done properly, with the correct volume of synthetic oil - -I witnessed the entire oil change and it all is documented. So, if there was no oil leak and no black smoke could the engine, if it never properly "seated," still burn 8 qts of oil in 2,500 miles, undetected? Since they also serviced the car at 1,000 miles (Brake failure) and at 2,000 miles (Radio) should they have noticed oil pressure abnormalities when they drove the vehicle and tested the brakes? Any thoughts on where the oil went?

I've filed the lemon law paperwork but part of me wants to keep the car because now, you know, it is a Viper and now the basics of moving (engine) and stopping (brakes) are fixed. What more could I want? (yes, some sarcasm)

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper has 1500 miles on it - I have been traveling extensively in the past 8 weeks so I checked my oil and dipstick reading. The car was 2 quarts low on oil so I had to refill. I am wondering if this is typical in terms of a new Viper while the engine breaks in? Anyone?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not use a drop on the the first oil change or the second one at 2300 miles....but I was down two quarts at the 4200 change :mad:

O.C. Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a friend who rented a new Viper. $600 a day and $0.50 a mile after 50 free miles. She drove over to my house, it didn't sound right. It had NO oil in it.