My SRT10 Woes -- I have the Aldan Shocks and this is sucking

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Guys, I need some help from anybody who has gone through the pain and suffering of putting on the Aldan shocks. Here's my story:

Way back last year, I bought some Aldan Shocks and springs from Parts Rack. I never installed them for a variety of reason until just recently. I didn't install them, but had them installed. The wheel gap got bigger instead of decreasing. So now the person/shop that will be handling this for me was told by Aldan that they have something new coming out at the end of the month to fix this.

Didn't some of you figure out a way to install the Aldan shocks and springs and get your car lowered and looking good? What am I missing here?

To boot, one of my rear shocks adjustment knobs is broken and will only adjust halfway, so my rear is bouncy as hell. I don't even want to drive the SRT10 now. I have 20" wheels on there and they look like 17" wheels because of how tall the car sits over them. Ridiculous.

I already paid for these things, so I would prefer not to have to go out and buy new shocks/springs if I don't have to.

Help? What did you guys do? Brian/Skip? Did you guys get it to work? Dan Craigen, have you installed any of these?

-M

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny I've gave up on Aldan. The coilovers you have are to long, and that's why you can't adj. them down, or you would loose to much piston travel. I've been there before, and many others have also. I wish Motons were not so over priced. I'm mean really, $4,000.00 for a set of shocks and springs.

Someone will come up with something soon. Manny what spring rate did you get with the coilovers?

When the coilovers were installed did they adj. the spanner ring to set the hight? But they must watch and make sure that when lowered down one inch over stock, that you still have at least 1.75 inch piston travel left with the car on the ground. The best way to observe this is to lower the car with a set of wooden blocks under the brake rotors, with the wheel lugs on. No harm to the rotors at all, but this will give you a birds eye veiw of the piston travel. Make sure and drive the car for a few miles to settle in the coilovers or you will get a false reading. If you can't maintain approx. this much piston travel while the car is sitting, and achieve a one inch lowering, you have the wrong coilover.

What spring rate did you get with the coilovers. It's wrong I'm sure. As they know nothing about spring rates on sports cars.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip,
Weren't you going to have a nice kit coming out that would lower the srt-10, be a quality product, AND not be overpriced?
Ricky

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone will come up with something soon.

Been hearing this for two years.

Bill P sent me a note saying they 'may' have found a way to lower the SRT-10 at a reasonable cost. I haven't asked for more details, as I am not a nice guinea pig.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best suspension I know of right now is the KW setup. Has all the adjustability of Moton for about half the price. Call [******] for it. He's the sole importer.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Hennesssey has the KW and they look great for about $3,000 shipped to your door, but I already have the Aldans -- they aren't working correctly though. Dave Cawthorn, our San Diego Viper Chapter president just opened his shop and is putting these in for me, but he was told by a rep at Aldan that they would have a fix or replacement by the end of this month. Anybody know about this?

JonB at partsrack, can you take these back in exchange for future credit? If so, I will do so and order me something that actually works, as I am tired of waiting and having my SRT10 look like a stink bug with it's rear so high in the air.

By the way, didn't Dean use Aldans on his orange SRT10 (the one with the hazardous waste logo on the side)? That thing looked killer.

Manny

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue with Aldans for way too long, finally gave up and went to the Moton setup. If you have any questions you can ask Jason at Heffners about them as he was the one who put them on my car and finally we gave up and went for the right setup. Also JonB did take them back on an exchange for the Motons.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue with Aldans for way too long, finally gave up and went to the Moton setup. If you have any questions you can ask Jason at Heffners about them as he was the one who put them on my car and finally we gave up and went for the right setup. Also JonB did take them back on an exchange for the Motons.

Well this would be great news! JonB, how much is your moton suspension set up?

-Manny

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
......JonB at partsrack, can you take these back in exchange for future credit? If so, I will do so and order me something that actually works, as I am tired of waiting and having my SRT10 look like a stink bug with it's rear so high in the air.

By the way, didn't Dean use Aldans on his orange SRT10 (the one with the hazardous waste logo on the side)? That thing looked killer.

Manny

Aldan (and most manufacturers) do their own warranty support, but PartsRack usually goes above and beyond that. If they are new in the box, ABSOLUTELY PartsRack will exchange for the full refund. If they are used, Aldan and PartsRack will make an adjusted exchange as you request. We have MoTons in stock, at the lowest prices we have seen. Spring choices to meet your needs.

ALTERNATIVELY Aldan will absolutlely upgrade and exchange even-steven when they have the newly engineered heim ends that they say will fix the problem in 10-14 days. They have yours and dave c.s #. Either way, PartsRack will deal with you DIRECTLY and to your satisfaction. I was alerted to this post or you would NOT routinely get a reply here... THANKS

P.S. We also have the SIMPLE fix of SPRING CAPS that are cheap n fast and lower 5/8 inch at all 4 corners, under $250. No need to remove coilover! This may be what BillP is awaiting.....

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. Well the shocks are not new and in the box -- they are on the car at the moment which why I have these issues. I guess I will wait the 2 weeks to see what Aldan does before choosing to upgrade to even better shocks.

As to my spring rates, to be honest, I forget now since I ordered them so long ago. I think Aldan sent out some new springs since the old ones were incorrect. Dave Cawthorne would know more since he just spoke to them.

Manny

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try the spring caps available from Parts Rack yet as mentioned above? If so, any comments on installation ease and ride quality after installation would be greatly appreciated!

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best suspension I know of right now is the KW setup. Has all the adjustability of Moton for about half the price. Call [******] for it. He's the sole importer.

How do you figure 3k as half the price? I have been quoted Motons for
$3500 to $3700 with springs.

Herc :usa:

Velocity 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey MannyC, Aldan themselves do not recomend their shocks for the the GEN 3. Their shocks do work well on the Gen 2s and we have installed and sold a few sets. We sell and install way more Motons and KWs. Depending on how things work out with the Aldan shocks, we carry KW's and Motons at the best price around guarenteed. Give us a call.
www.veloicity-performance.com 972-735-8249 ask for Daren.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How do you figure 3k as half the price? I have been quoted Motons for
$3500 to $3700 with springs.

Herc :usa:
How many f******AE's are going to **** the KW's. This is getting old.. LOL!!

G

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify this whole threatd -- JonB at Parts Rack has always been good to me. His prices have always been fair and he has been the only one to have certain items in stock when I needed them. From what I understand, the Aldan shocks were claimed by Aldan and others who had tested them, to work great on the SRT10. It was at this time that JonB and others were selling them, and I bought my set just a few months after they were released. I just didn't install them until recently and am finding out they just don't work.

I spoke to JonB today and he feels my frustration and as a stand up business guy is going to help me get through this, one way or another. Note that he never once declined to help or do otherwise -- our first conversation was pleasant and as always, wants me to be satisfied.

As it stands, I am going to give Aldan the 2 weeks they say they need and see what happens. If they drop the ball, I will order some new springs/coilovers and dump the Aldans and never recommend them to anybody for anything. If they come through, then I know people will be asking me where I got the things that are on my car, and that will be more business for them, especially considering the cost of the Aldans being less than half of what is out there.

Manny

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny - I agree with you about JonB he was very helpful with our return on the Aldan shocks and made sure we got a good deal on the Motons. He is a stand up guy who has always treated me right.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB not only stands by the products he sells but he's always willing to help out past customers too, even if they've strayed from the flock. The VCA is fortunate to have Jon B on their side. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96