My turn for headgaskets.!...gen 1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been searching the site and wondering if you guys have any more advise/tips/tricks. Any pitfalls to watch out for?? I got the "don't turn the motor without the heads" and "use a bit of RTV on the crossover bolt threads". Looks like the motor will need to be lifted a bit - at least on the drivers side. The job looks straight-forward but this is my first time taking a viper engine apart. I'm wondering what kinds of problems other people have encountered?

Thanks..

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the headgaskets from JonB. The rest of the gaskets will be here Fri. - from my local dealer. I intend to do the job next weekend if I can get everything here by then.. I will be giving the Wizard a call - Thanks Chuck.

I do have a few queations: Anybody try to reuse the original valve cover gaskets?? Normally I'd swap 'em out too but a saw a few people post that they can be reused?!... at $90 ea. I thought I'd give reuse a try, heck, if they seep I'll replace 'em later.

R

RTED

Chuck is your source for all information on changing head gaskets. He talked me through mine, the tips and advice is priceless! Ask him about the coolant refill process to avoid air pockets....he has a neat trick.:2tu:

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck walked me through it, sent me all that was needed and I really enjoyed the project Everything worked just like he said, no leaks no problems. It was nice to be able to detail the engine while it was apart. Call me if you want to ask questions about the project. 513 573 1400.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey dan, always be careful about giving out personal information on the net. its up to you, but i always feel more comfortable pm'ing someone my telephone number.

LMK if you want it edited out.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries and yes I KNOW I should join the club!!! I've thought alot about it and understand my local chapter has an active, good group of people. (Md/Va/De)... There's only one reason I haven't joined yet... All social gatherings/cruises etc. happen on weekends! Not a problem for most of you but I work weekends..every weekend Sat/Sun (evenings):crazy2:... My job really puts a damper on the fun. You guys really have a great thing here,though, and it's probably worth it just to help support this forum!

I spent some time today crawling around the car. Drained the Block and Radiator, Removed the air box, plug wires, air filters, belt etc.. just snooping around. Looks like I need new wires and plugs too. I think they're original! - The wires were actually rusted onto the plug caps!! uugh.

It really looks like a simple job if done with patience. I'll post as I progress.

V

Venomiss

No worries and yes I KNOW I should join the club!!! I've thought alot about it and understand my local chapter has an active, good group of people. (Md/Va/De)... There's only one reason I haven't joined yet... All social gatherings/cruises etc. happen on weekends! Not a problem for most of you but I work weekends..every weekend Sat/Sun (evenings):crazy2:... My job really puts a damper on the fun. You guys really have a great thing here,though, and it's probably worth it just to help support this forum!

I spent some time today crawling around the car. Drained the Block and Radiator, Removed the air box, plug wires, air filters, belt etc.. just snooping around. Looks like I need new wires and plugs too. I think they're original! - The wires were actually rusted onto the plug caps!! uugh.

It really looks like a simple job if done with patience. I'll post as I progress.

A place to look for wires....home
We do hope you join even if it's for this site. ;) The Illustrated area you might find very helpful.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Humm .. shopping for wires now..thanks!
I spoke with Chuck the wizard today and he definately gave me some good advise and direction that intend to follow. He really seems like a nice guy and you're lucky to have him here.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you join VCA then Wizzard's free advice is 1/2 price. You also get to use the super secret handshake and decoder ring (not).

Many vendors will give you a VCA discount on parts also.

When you join VCA you become a member of the national organization as well as the regional club.

With all the things going on with Chrysler, we need every member we can get, so please join.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya might want to consider doing some head work while they are off. there is a lot of power to be had pretty easily in them. and the hard part (taking them off) is being done anyways.....

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAM IT!!!!
I was gonna say get some head work done ....May as well while its apart..

PS you joined the VCA yet.......Well worth it mags,discounts,advise ect ect....

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ok .. I downloaded the registrstion form and filled it out yesterday.

Ummm, headwork.. What did you have in mind??

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... I started the job. I don't know what I was worried about? Everything's apart but the head.... Waiting for the headgaskets to arrive. It'll be a few days.. In the mean time, it's time to clean things up really well and have a good look. I got plenty of pics but too lazy to resize and post... aww.. hell, here's one:
You must be registered for see images attach

I found that a plug at the front of the valley was seeping a bit. Time to remove and reseal!! Everything else looks pretty good.
:2tu::2tu::2tu:

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to upgrade them Gen 1 headers to late Gen2(99+)...

And I just happen to have a set in great condition too :2tu:

Not a direct bolt-on. the drivers side need to be modified to fit, but you'll same near 40lbs in weight reduction. Get them Jet-Hot coated, for looks and performance :2tu:

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I think about it the less I want to do any mods. I've been pretty happy with it as is and know the mod road gets pricy really fast! Saving a few pounds sounds good but this thing isn't going to be raced.

Thanks for the advise..

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so job done! Yeah, it's still stock but I don't have to worry about the headgasket anymore. I'd love more but 400+/-hp is OK for me.

What I learned:
The intake was the hardest part to install and required a second removal to get the wiring harness around the T-stat housing..watch closely!! It's a bit tricky over and under the fuel line and crossover.

All else was straight-forward...

YEAH!! Piece of cake!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a prety good mechanic but not a speed head. I just want to keep this thing reliable and maybe do some track time here and there....Awsome car!!

Randy Forbes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got started on the same project last night. There will be hundreds of pictures online at: Gallery

Chuck: John (the car's owner) will be calling you shortly; I gave him my "list of demands" around 2:00AM. Thanks!

A few for starters...

You must be registered for see images

Discovered an autograph when disconnecting the battery; do they all have this?

Seems you never have the right size tool for the drain plugs, unless you have a milling machine!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Randy thanks for throwing up the detailed pics. My headgaskets are getting done this spring so it's nice to see the process before it happens.

Randy Forbes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Randy thanks for throwing up the detailed pics. My headgaskets are getting done this spring so it's nice to see the process before it happens.
Thanks! Keep checking that link, as the pictures will accumulate daily.

Clearly, I'm no stranger to Marque Forums, but I had to laugh when I realized that was my first post on this board. While I'm far from being an expert on Vipers, I do strive to provide technically interesting posts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456