My Viper is now Dead

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after a long night I am ok but the bee is dead. I turned onto a road in the local area into the left lane. I went to shift to 2nd and a dog came running from the right. I swerved into the right lane and the rear broke loose. Long story short, sideways sliding, concrete light pole relocated 2 inches, stopped by 2 trees. I do not know if I will be getting another one for a little while but here are the photos of the damage.

pollup/Viper Wreck - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, but also glad to hear nobody was hurt. RIP to the bumblebee. That was a beautiful Viper...hope you DO get another someday. ~juli

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was fully covered. This just happened last night so the insurance company has not been able to see it yet. I was a few days shy of owning it for a full year. My record is spotless so there should be no issue from insurance. I just fear that after totaling this one (grant it it looks totaled to me) that I will not be able to get another one due to insurance rates. I had a low insurance rate on it, 62 dollars a month.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Condolences from Texas man. If that's only panel damage then it will be salvageable with a lot of work and money. ***** either way though, whether you get a new one or a project handed back to you.

I'm drinking with you tonight!

:tx: :tx: :tx: :tx: :tx: :tx:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damage as I can see
Hood destroyed
Front fascia destroyed
passenger rims
passenger steering linkage
oil cooler
read window moved 1/4 inch and doesn't shut right
both doors do not close right
transmission will not shift
motor is torqued (probably why transmission will not shift)
both headlights and fogs
air condition box under the vent
and much more. Its very hard to see everything that is damage but I know it dropped every bit of oil it had in it and it was in front of the motor. I don't think they are going to repair it.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for you for your damaged car I know you feel bad about that. It's only a car that can be replaced. It sounds like you are ok and nobody got killed or seriously hurt. Be thankfull for that.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They probably wont but some one will pick it up, fix and sell as "non damaged". When this is all said and done, would you mind posting the VIN to help future owners.

My Bee just got rarer.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problem posting the vin when it's over and done with. If buy back is an option the car has already been spoken for so there is no fear of it being refurbished and sold as new since he is a very reputable presence around VCA.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this...my niece loved your car at the pig roast, she's devistated. If there's anything I can do, please call me. Most important thing is that you are okay!

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did exactly the same thing, 7:00 am this past forth of July heading to breakfast before the family got up except I only owned the car for three weeks. I was on cold tires, just stopped at a stop sign on a two lane rural road, made a left turn, I wasn't pushing it but an animal ran out in front of me and I gave the wheel a **** to the right, the back end swung out and the next thing I know I'm in a tree with the air bags deployed.
I know you are not suppose to avoid animals - but I did it.

My heart and pride were really broken and a lost summer enjoying my first Viper. The good news is after the insurance company paid me off I made a few bucks on the deal, I just found another Viper and I'm taking delivery next week and due to me clean record my insurance didn't go up a nickle. Accident forgivness is a good thing, the bad news is my mulligan is gone so I can have no more issues.

I read over and overin these forms how the snake can bite you and it did. I'm going to be even more careful with the new one, I can't wait.

Don't just take the first buyout they did you, negoitate with them, back it up with some current data and look for another car.
:drive:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow man...that *****!!!! One more Bee gone. I happen to know where you can get another at a very good price....an ACR even! ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you're ok, it's always relieving to see people walk away unharmed when stuff like this happens.

I kicked my dog for you, just because he's guilty by association. :D

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain!

I lost my 2001 Bumble Bee under similar circumstances at about the same time of the year. The silver lining was that the Insco gave me a great settlement (probably more than I might have sold it for at the time) and salvaged it to someone in Florida. Ironically, Car Fax still shows it as having "minor front end damage" and no mention of the salvage title in spite of the fact that I contacted them and provided them with the details of the damages.

I hope you end up with another Viper! I have enjoyed my 2006 FE Coupe but find myself being more selective as to when and where I drive it.

:2tu::2tu:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:( that ***** :( Any idea whos dog it was? Did it have a collar on with a tag? Can you claim from the owners?

Very sorry to see those pics, At least your OK ;)

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your Viper, may sound mean but I was in a similar situation once where a 18 wheeler was behind me on an off ramp with cement side walls. animal on the off ramp. I could of stopped but the 18 wheeler most likely would not be able to. so it was me or the dog. dog lost. animal owners need to be held responsible for letting their pets run free. seen to many accidents because a dog was running around a street.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did exactly the same thing, ..............I was on cold tires, just stopped at a stop sign on a two lane rural road, made a left turn, I wasn't pushing it but an animal ran out in front of me and I gave the wheel a **** to the right.....

And there are those who will tell you that tires are not a factor.....

TIRE MANAGEMENT is a huge factor....... Pollup? Yours?

Sorry for your losses.............. IF I CAN HELP................

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.....I lost my 2001 Bumble Bee under similar circumstances .........Ironically, Car Fax still shows it as having "minor front end damage" and no mention of the salvage title in spite of the fact that I contacted them and provided them with the details of the damages........

Amazing...... but Ive seen THAT a dozen or more times.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires were cold, the car had been sitting for over 30 minutes. My tires were older as well so they could have played a part with the loss of traction but I will say they have a ton of tread left on them. I would have hit the dog but I thought of the damage it would have cost and I could easily avoid it. Didn't expect to go off road or I would have hit the thing. Then again it might have turned out worse if I hit the dog, who knows.

As far as getting another viper, I don't know. It is my dream car and I probably will, but it will not be another bumblebee. I am going to take a different route if I get another one. Money is the biggest factor since I am on E5 military salary.

Walked away from the accident no problems. The only injury was my passenger was smacked in the side of the head with a tree branch. Believe it or not we did not hit the pole that hard and the car was already spinning when it hit so it was not a direct hit. Felt like a roller coaster. I had my normal back stiffness I have everyday but I couldn't tell if it was worse due to adrenaline. Everything is well now so with the help of Jon B I am getting the appropriate documentation for the insurance company.

As far as the dog I call animal control to see if anyone has reported missing or a stray dog and they said no strays have been reported in the area and they don't handle missing dogs so I am S.O.L on that portion.

Kcobean, that is funny. Gonna have to share that one with my wife later..

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to read about your bumble bee :(. I'm glad you came out OK. I learned along time ago.....Just hit it!!! if you cant safely go around it. more people are hurt or killed buy trying to avoid a animal on the road. It's a animal conspiracy!!and the squirrel's are the leaders.

w8liftn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Bee just got rarer.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Mine too and ditto. Don't mean to be a ****, but if someone parts it out can you let us know? I could use a few 'nitpick' things off of it for my '02 Bee.

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How fast were you going tht caused it to lose control? Why would a Viper go into a slide just becasue you ****** the wheel? A dear jumped out in from of my tiburon @ 40mph, and i threw the wheel wayy hard to the left and it didnt start sliding...were you on power when you were going around the turn?

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is totaled it will be parted out, just not by me. If the buyer chooses to post it then so be it. This is in the future so nothing has been decided now. I am not sure its totaled though looking at the photos its very likely.

I was between 40 and 50 mph. I hit 2nd as I switched the lanes so I was at the bottom of 2nd. This was no more then 100 yards from where I started the car and started driving away so my tires were cold and dew just started setting in. I'm guessing my tires played a big part as well, they are fairly hard. That is why I slid so far on the grass. It lost traction from the jerking and switching of the gears I am assuming. I was not going around a turn when it broke free. I pulled out making a right in first, got about 3/4's into 1st and saw the bugger, ****** to the right and switched to 2nd and she let go.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am glad your OK! I feel your pain! My SSG (avatar) Was just taken away on a flat bed! Total loss! Ins. company was good to me. I am ok and that is what matters. I am partial to the yellow snakes as that was my first Viper 2002 R/10. Hold tight regroup and find the next specal Viper!
Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala