NACA duct, wither goest thou?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you are exactly right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! And I think that's why some of us (myself obviously)
are getting testy. After deciding to put the big buck down, it's hard to hear some guy say "your girlfriends ugly." Now Mark, remember if you in your wide range of humor, start with the "how much did your girlfriend cost, this thread will be toast! Family values Pierce will be in here like lightning. No offence Michael, you're doing a great job after a rough and perhaps too tough start. And, Mcguire, my compliments, Viper Hospital? How about "All My Vipers"?. Mark by the way I'm as big a mopar guy as you are , well not really, I guess after seeing all those pics. of the wagon and the Hemi, but first car was Barracuda Formula S, second car 440 Charger, I spend a lot of time shopping for one of those to sit beside the Vette and the Viper. Big dream Hemi Challanger or Barracuda 1970. But really hopeless in terms of finding one for reasonable $.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
It isn't her fault that she's ugly." ... "Or that she doesn't LOOK like she's a member of this family."

laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon, you, me and Mark need to hole up in a bar someplace and share the same thoughts together sometime.
biggrin.gif

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm let's compare shall we?????

A quick internet seach shows which MOPAR enthusiasts demand more of which car....

Ebodies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1806798896
Good price for a small block eh! How many big block b-bodies fetch this???

http://www.hemmingsmotornews.com/dealers/getphotos.cfm?DEALERLISTINGID=181484&dealer=83&src=1&CLICKSRC=classified%5Fdealer%3A%20
This one speaks for itself

Or to see a list including 2 100K+ Cuda's click here:
http://www.hemmingsmotornews.com/he...57531&tablename=carsforsale&sort=enhancements (cut and paste)

B bodies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1807411330
Hmmm, killer 1000 HP hemicar, way more than 40K invested in this bad boy, willing to trade it for a used Viper! Too bad no one else thinks it's worth 42K

Here's a nicely restored 440-6 Charger, but check out that price
http://www.hemmingsmotornews.com/dealers/getphotos.cfm?DEALERLISTINGID=181648&dealer=292&src=1&CLICKSRC=classified%5Fdealer%3A%20

To be fair there is a 69 Charger 500 Hemi for 60K

What am I trying to prove here? That those "ugly" E bodies are quite more desirable cars than any other Mopar ever made (sometimes even moreso than the Viper) I mean just look at what a 71 Hemi Cuda convert is worth now (easily 200K car)

Whens the last time any other mopar went for that? Not even remy's 1of1 viper even got close.

Craig

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MarkO, if you buy a Viper for looks then I agree, the GTS is by far the one you should have. I did not, and will not buy for that reason only. I am sure you like the CC better than the SRT/10 because of the looks. In that case I don't agree. I like the SRT/10 looks better than the CC. Now which one would I rather own? The CC, because it embodies a bigger thing than looks, it is a no frills track car, to me that is where the beauty lies.

Jon, your opinion of what Viper should say is a good one. Mine is very different. I think a Viper should have absolutly NO AMMENTITIES. Who's right? You have a look that Viper must conform to, and I feel that Viper must spew the meaning of basic, raw and mean.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I'm with you on the Joe Friday cars, i've had a whole variety of them from various makes. Gawd, I love that lightweight. I spent the late 60's in my youth on Woodward avenue in Detroit and the Chrysler engineers were famous for bringing these out on Woodward and seriously embarassing EVERYBODY else. You guys sound like you know the market, is that car really worth 90k?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee00blacksilverGTS:
You guys sound like you know the market, is that car really worth 90k?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Restored it would surely be worth that, as it sits... nyeah maybe to the right two people at an auction. Eventually I want to build one like that. I love the Taxicab sleeper cars with the open header Hemi's.

I'll take mine with 4:10's and a 727 T/F. Nothing is the sound of a HEMI at full song.

Craig

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard, don't dispair. Its the same group of guys that *dis* the SRT. Just read what they say and laugh.
smile.gif
You have to admit, some of it is funny
laugh.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
If you want to read nothing but a big cuddly SRT-10 love-in, Frank has already started another thread for that. Go there.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not referring to me, huh? If so, don't believe I have started any love-ins. Now if you mean FRANK ----, hmmmm, well, ah, not him either. Maybe Frank Parise (sp?)?? God, I'm confused --- and I don't even know what NACA stands for.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't understand is that the SRT has the *same lines* as the GTS/R & Comp. Coupe... sans the hardtop. I know the top makes a difference, but if you take off the ground effects from the GTS/R, from the midline down, it's the SRT.

Oh well... I guess this is a debate destined to play out for years on this forum... I think ultimately it will be like the C5 forum... more and more SRT's will come out, and the SRT dislikers will eventually capitulate and/or give up.

Until then, we can just acknowledge that some of us have great taste, and some of us have no taste. Debating which group is which, we shall leave for another time.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.. but I d@mn sure won't have anything to do with it.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never say never Mr. McQuire! Miss Cloe looks into her crystal ball and sees you driving a yellow 2005 SRT-10 with a license plate that says JIM.
tongue.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will say that the SRT looks much better to me now than it did when I first saw it.

ALSO, I will say that the original dislike of the SRT that I had completely vanished after I got rid of my GTS. From a totally unbiased viewpoint, I actually like the SRT alot. The more I see it, the more I like it. I'd like SOME changes (more curvaceous and bulbous fenders, for example), but overall I think the car looks great and is a good looking modern design.

I'm beyond trying to convince anyone that they should like the car or see it for it's true qualities - at this point, if anyone doesn't want one, don't buy one - but I would hope the folks who *don't* like it would at least keep an open mind and not preclude themselves from ever owning one. Automotive tastes change, and you may find that what looks good to you now, doesn't look as good later - AND vice versa. I remember thinking the TR7 looked awesome when it came out - now I think it looks like a hunk of junk. I have always thought Shelby Cobra's looked good - and I *think* I will always think Viper GTS's look good - but my point is simply that some of you guys that hate it today, might not hate it somuch in times to come.

Jim,

I predict that, should your wife get an SRT, you will drive it, and LIKE IT, and some day the look of the car will even grow on you - give it time
smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That drawing is GREAT. But it would bring the Viper right back to the point that it was before going through the changes that the Viper Nation asked for. Namely, more performance. The majority of this group asked for a bas a$$ machine and here it comes. But many of the enhancements have been made by making the new body work with the drive train, verses against as in the past.

Based on the topic of changes during the last Detroit visit, I do not think most of us will be able to visually notice them without someone pointing them out? The changes some seem to be waiting for are not what you will ultimately get.

Keep this little thought in mind: Over the years, there have been far more RT/10 owners than GTS owners at VOI, the largest Viper gatherings known. Because of that fact can you understand why performance and convenience was a higher priority than looks. The fact is that the people making the decisions got his message pounded into their heads buy this group. So if looks are now the main priority, you better get to the one place that allows you to have the biggest voice.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, how can you possibly say you think the vgx is "bad *** " and not acknowledge that the car is the same from the beltline down as Mike says, minus the ground effects and of course the top and rear valence? The front view IS the vgx and I just don't get why people complain about the grill or the scoop or the wheels, THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE VGX. And everybody loves the vgx! I don't like the 2000 Honda rear either, but then I prefer the current GTS look to the current rt10. If you like the front view of the vgx you can't have a problem with the front of the srt. Is that a fair statement? THEY ARE EXACTLY ALIKE! JEEEZ! And Mark where are my emails of your pics of the old 440 charger, this discussion about old mopars actually started me shopping! I need reinforcement!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, your right, the Comp Coup and the SRT-10 are the same cars,minus the roof and stripes. ITS THE SAME CAR. Yet some people love one and absolutely hate the other. As O.J. once said "go figure".
smile.gif