Nail repair question

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I took the GTS out yesterday, got two miles from home then, tick tick tick tick--yes a nail in the center of the tread. Fortunately I was near a tire store and was able to get it patched. The question is, how safe is the patched tire with its "patch/plug" combo? I hate to scrap a set of tires because of one nail. I don't track the car and rarely go that fast these days--just too many cops here in Norcal lately.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's actually (by coincidence) a thread discussing that issue. Not surprisingly some differing views - but all good info. My opinion: if the hole is small and regular and in-the-fixable-tread area then its OK to patch/plug, but I wouldn't try to set any speed records with a patched tire. 80-90 is all I've been willing to do on a patched tire and no problem at all when I did so. I did switch to Kumho 700's because I like the stick, so my patched tires went away a while back.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done track days, speed "blasts" with plugged tires. No problems. My choice. My risk. My plugs.
Would I drive 170+ for 10 miles on 'em? of course not.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The patch keeps the air in. The plug keeps moisture and road grit out of the belt package. Repaired correctly in the center of the tread area, I wouldn't have any qualms with occasional blasts up to 120, or sustained up to 80.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the beginning of last summer I had a set of BFG drag radials mounted and within 2 weeks had a screw stuck in the center of the tread on one of them. I had it patched, and continued to drive another 8-9k miles on those tires. I tracked the car and it seen several 100+ pulls. Drove it on 3hour+ one way road trips and back. No issues at all. If the tire's properly repaired you have nothing to worry about.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a nail a few years ago drivers side rear. Had it patched because there was no visible cord damage. Plugged first then a vulcanized patch put on the inside. Was told this would reduce tire 1 speed grade. I keep it as a spare. GTS Bruce

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found this a while back in one on my tires.....

You must be registered for see images attach

(No, it's not a splif)

It went straight through the center of a new rear tire! The patch has held just fine for a year or two and I'm looking to replace it soon. I'm thinking about swapping rims and updating the car a bit....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad