NARRA 2013 PITT Race/BeaveRun - Videos/Pictures, etc..

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time Trial fast laps.
http://vimeo.com/72653781

Spin.
http://vimeo.com/72664511

The videos have some good descriptions about whats going on.

The 56.3 lap I ran ended up making me the second quickest car/driver of the event, which I was rather shocked (and happy) to hear. There are TTU/GTU unlimited cars that have no HP/Weight restrictions and are absolute BEASTS on the track. On such a short track though the difference in lap times ends up being tenths rather than seconds on some longer track. One of the GTU cars was in the 55's which was just insane. In the race I started ahead of them and was competitive in the twisties but holy cow where they up my butt on the straights!

I should have the race video up in a week or so. I roasted the tires pushing way to hard in the race. :( Wasn't too happy with my performance, oh well. Have to focus more next time.

For anyone that wants to get into racing, or just get involved with a group that can help you progress through the stages starting from Driver Education, NARRA is really an amazing group to run with. Whatever your comfort level is, there is a NARRA group that can accommodate you.

I've gone through all the stages from DE, to TT (pretty serious competitor) and now GT (huge rookie). I was pretty hesitant to try GT racing, especially with such fast cars. I'm very comfortable with my car and myself at the limit, but wasn't sure what to expect running wheel to wheel with a bunch of other insane cars. The GT group in NARRA has been such a joy to run with. Everyone is beyond nice and very SAFE and COURTEOUS on track. It's good clean racing with guys and girls, just an amazing time!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My track buddies said they placed well also!

Victor-'97 b/w
Shandon-'05 silver/black stripes
Allen-'06 black/white
Luke-'08 black/silver

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,

How do you have your GoPro set up? Resolution, frame rate, protune, etc. Do you do any post processing or just upload it as is?

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Keith,

I use a GoPro Hero 3 Black, 1080p, medium fov, no protune, spot mode on.

For VIR and previous videos I was recording at 30fps.

For this event I recorded at 60fps.

To get the traqmate data overlay its a real PITA. I have to create the video in traqmate in 1280x720. Then, in sony vegas I overlay just the parts of that video that have the telemetry onto the original videos from GoPro and create a new video that has the car/track still in very high quality.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference in my masters between 30fps and 60fps. I suppose I'll keep recording/mastering in 60fps though. When I upload to vimeo, vimeo converts both to 30fps fyi.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Keith,

I use a GoPro Hero 3 Black, 1080p, medium fov, no protune, spot mode on.

For VIR and previous videos I was recording at 30fps.

For this event I recorded at 60fps.

To get the traqmate data overlay its a real PITA. I have to create the video in traqmate in 1280x720. Then, in sony vegas I overlay just the parts of that video that have the telemetry onto the original videos from GoPro and create a new video that has the car/track still in very high quality.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference in my masters between 30fps and 60fps. I suppose I'll keep recording/mastering in 60fps though. When I upload to vimeo, vimeo converts both to 30fps fyi.

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a Black and have done a few test recordings with various settings. I also settled on 1080, 60fps, medium, spot on, protune off. I can easily tell a difference between 30fps and 60fps. There is noticeable motion blur with 30fps. I prefer the smooth motion with 60fps although the file sizes are much larger.

Your interior shows up much brighter in your recordings than mine which is why I asked the question. If I turn on protune, it handles the shadows much better and there is less contrast between the interior and the windshield view. The problem is it requires post processing to correct color and sharpness and that's a lot more work. It also creates even larger files.

The Hero 3 image quality is much better than my old Hero HD 1. I'll demote the HD 1 to exterior use. :)

I've been using a program called Trackvision to create my videos. It merges your datalogger data with your original video file and creates an overlay on your video. There are multiple overlays to choose from. The output file has the same quality, resolution, etc as the original if you choose. Or you can create a number of different output file types. Seems like less workflow than your current method.

Last edited: