NE1 know if gears can be easily swapped in an '08?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going from the stock 3.07 to a 3.33 rear gear might be the only mod I would/will do to the '08 that I have on order ... does anybody know if the gears currently available will fit the new '08 rear diff?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would suggest you just wait a bit, as many feel there will be a bit of difference in driving the 2008 in comparison to the 2006. Keep in mind the different torque curve, the higher redline, and one may find the change won't be that desired.

Reaction score
The rear gears will be interchangable with the gears current to the gen 3 cars so you will have a choice of gears as you have in the past. Even with revised curves and more rpm I think most people will welcome the deeper gears availible to help the response of the car.
IMHO

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ditto on Mark's response above. The 08 makes more power, but less TQ down low than the current cars... I expect gears will be a big seller on the 08.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that gearing on 08 was already going to be different than the 06. Higher red line will still get to 60+ in first and allow for more gear (62mph on current 06 w/stock gear). If diff. is the same is it possible the trans ratios will be different ???

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't wait for my '08, but after owning an '05, it would take more than +90HP to keep me happy with stock 3.07s ... even with 700HP, I heard of Vipers running quicker with 3.33s and then there also the benefit that 6th gear actually then becomes usable under 80mph, and 5th gear actually works ok as a passing gear (vs. needing to drop into 4th)