Need advices on HP gain.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
A friend of mine wants to gain some more hp on his '05 SRT. He is using it as a daily driver, even during winter, so the reliability is very important. He already has K&N air filters, headers and exhaust.
What else would you do?
I told him a VEC2 and a aluminum flywheel would probably be good for him. Right?
He is considering in putting (maybe) a supercharger on his car. Is it reliable as a daily driver? Even during winter? Do you need to change the cast pistons to forged ones like for '00+ Gen2 to be safe? Are the cast pistons also a problem if you do head works (without a supercharger)?
If he doesn't go with forced induction, what about gears? Are they worth on SRT's like on Gen1-2? IF yes, what ratio would be better for his setup?
Any other idea?
Thanks in advance for your help.

OP
OP
J

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And by the way, he needs O2 sims. Which ones are good? Are the Casper's ok for SRTs? They are plug-in type, but not the ones from Roe, right? Thanks.

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it really comes down to a few different factors.

how much does he want to spend and how fast does he want it to go.

the best bang for the buck is a super charger installed by a quality shop like DLM or woodhouse or plenty of other good tuners depending where you live, that focuses not just on the horse power but about reliability with the horse power.

he could just change to a 3:45 gear and it would feel like a big difference. but if you go with the super charger you dont need to change the gearing. and as long as you keep the boost to 6-7 pounds you dont need to change pistons.

but there is a huge price difference in changing gears and a fly wheel as aposed to a super charger.

i just had DLM put a S/C on my 06 coupe. no other motor mods, the rest is all stock except the DLM S/C. i drive the car every day and love the power. i'm actually starting to want more. but for relaibilty sake when you start doing a lot more power , the chances of more stuff going wrong on a daily driver may be a problem.

many people have different opinions, i persoanlly am very pleased with just the s/c. of course tires are a whole other issue. i went down to 18 inch rims and a sticky tire. in my opinion it makes it 10 times better. what good is power if you cant hook up.

anyway if your friend has the cash. s/c is the best way to go for an srt.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say that MyFirstViper's ststement above is quite correct. Just remember that 2003+ paxon superchargers have not been CARB approved for emissions at this point in time. You can gain 25-30 Hp by remapping the engines computer and installing a 180 degree thermostat. Alos wrapping the entire exhaust system with insulating heat wrap with gain you more power thru better scavenging. The car will run cooler, and according to D C Performance, make more power. We am testing this setup right now.

You can see more info on this at our web site by clicking on our name at the left.

Robbie

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto to myfirstviper - my sentiments exactly.

I started with the gearing and now I have SC on - what a difference, but traction is now the main issue.