Need an Alignment?

chiurw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found my rear shock absorber leaking and decided that for now, to replace it with a stock unit. I found one on Ebay that came off of a 2008 Viper for under $300. The dealership told me that a 4-wheel alignment was needed afterwards.

I searched this forum and found most owners replaced their OEMs with aftermarket units, which lowered the ride height. I definitely understand that an alignment would be required at that point but what if the ride height remained unchanged?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I did what you did, absent other facts or concerns, I would not realign the car prior to a braking and handling ROAD TEST revealing some issue.

My bigger concern is the year and miles on YOUR other 3 shocks vs the used shock

ps: I love giving advice to flea-bay-buyers AFTER they bought. Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

chiurw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I did what you did, absent other facts or concerns, I would not realign the car prior to a braking and handling ROAD TEST revealing some issue.

My bigger concern is the year and miles on YOUR other 3 shocks vs the used shock

ps: I love giving advice to flea-bay-buyers AFTER they bought. Good Luck!

I own a 2006 SRT-10 with 13k miles.

Reaction score
Install, tighten down while car is loaded (at ride height), check toe in the rear and call it wonderful.

If you are worried about the other shocks ability to keep up with the 08' shock just get them all off Ebay instead of just one...

OP
OP
C

chiurw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Install, tighten down while car is loaded (at ride height), check toe in the rear and call it wonderful.

If you are worried about the other shocks ability to keep up with the 08' shock just get them all off Ebay instead of just one...

Thanks for your feedback.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gen III OE tires were run flats, GEN IV OE tires were PS2s.

Likely, the shocks are valved a bit differently and may have different spring rates too. I'd buy all 4 Gen IV or try to find a single Gen III.

Shouldn't need an alignment either way.

Good luck.