Need Help Deciding

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, have narrowed my choices for a new Viper to two and I need your advice on which to go for.

First is a Gen III 04 White Mamba vert. 15K miles, HRE black powdercoated wheels, Paxton SC, Belanger headers, Corsa exhaust, upgraded fuel, and tuned by ART.

Second is Gen IV 10 Toxic Orange vert. 1500 miles, 6-spokes, tan leather, navi.

Would like your observations on what you think would be the most fun. Let the comments begin. :)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen4. Stock. More reliable compared to Gen-3, better driving and 600hp is enough to kill you anyway, tires are only +3 years old...........etc

The Gen-3 is modded? Stay away. Too many headaches for me.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say gen 4 unless your very familiar with modded cars. Then Gen 3's do great with the paxton setup and if you like the mods and idea of having a custom car I would go that route. Along with the mods will come headaches but you have to pay to play!

-Tim

F

FrgMstr

Owned both Gen III and Gen IV. Go with the Gen IV unless you want to mod above 600whp+.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen3 will much more fun and will get you way more compliments at the car shows because of the mods, if your in to that. Im sure it sounds bad ass and looks sick with the HRES. Gen 4 is just another stock viper and if your ok with that then go with the gen 4. side by side the gen 3 will probably dwarf the gen 4 especially if both are ideling. :) what's the price diffrience? Yes you can always mod the gen 4 but then your have that much more money in car.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take the Gen IV, toxic orange and tan, what an awesome color combo. 600 RWHP is not hard in a Gen IV.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love orange but not sure with the tan interior. Also I'm partial to white vipers!!!

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments. I've had a couple of modded Vipers...Gen II with ROE. This one is dynoed at 700 HP and love the polished Novi and intake. Sounds great as well. I have to admit I love the black and red interior on the Mamba. I think it would be hot looking with a Gen IV hood.

Have to say I love the Toxic Orange with black stripes and the tan interior looks phenomenal.

The cost difference is about $40k so the 04 is the more financially logical choice. But why be logical? lol

Still trying to figure out what route to go.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4Ok difference WOW. Gen 3 hands down. More bang for your buck and you will get much more enjoyment out of it. It's modded so no need to dump more money In to it. Invest that 40k. Get the gen3!

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind the gen 3 has already depreciated the gen 4 has much more room to go down in price over the years. Your gonna take a bath on it.

Mamba #90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 Mamba my choice.....low production numbers (only 200 produced in that color), different from anything else out there especially with the mods that have been done.....no brainer !!!

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted a white Viper so I started too look back in 09. Ringold Dodge had a brand new white Viper with red stripes on the show room floor Gen 4. Salesman said Palmer Dodge has a white Mamba for sale $42k. So I saved 40k and the one your looking at is super charged!!!!

Used my car is still worth around 40k. Something to think about.

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good points. As much as I'd like the Gen IV, I think I'm leaning towards the Gen III for all the reasons some have stated. Love the idea of a SC Viper with the rumble out the pipes that it produces. I also like that most of the mods I would want are already done and tuning by ART should be pretty reliable.

I've only seen the pics I've been sent but for those who have seen/own a white Viper, how striking is it in person?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good points. As much as I'd like the Gen IV, I think I'm leaning towards the Gen III for all the reasons some have stated. Love the idea of a SC Viper with the rumble out the pipes that it produces. I also like that most of the mods I would want are already done and tuning by ART should be pretty reliable.

I've only seen the pics I've been sent but for those who have seen/own a white Viper, how striking is it in person?

VERY! Particularly with the top down and all the red interior showing...it's just as classy as it gets!

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is EXACTL what I just went threw 2 months ago. I was trying to decide between a gen III with mods or a gen IV stock. I did research for about two or three months. Go with the gen IV its a better car more reliable if its stock and it will hold its resale much better because there are so many less gen IV than gen III. Also with a car with Mods you really don't know what you're getting. A SC and all that other stuff. You are asking for a headache. Even if you put the two up against each other the gen IV might still come out on top. It take a lot to put 100 horsepower on a car. And lets be honest. Unless you plan on taking it to the track 600 HP is way more than enough. (God I must be getting old. I would have smacked myself 5 years ago for saying that lol) They are both great choices the two best colors on a Viper in my opinion. But I would go with the IV Thats what I did and LOVE LOVE LOVE my ride .and some FYI for you the only made 133 roadsters in 2010. And probably not that many of them were orange. You will hold your value. Thats just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy what you buy
Ok, have narrowed my choices for a new Viper to two and I need your advice on which to go for.

First is a Gen III 04 White Mamba vert. 15K miles, HRE black powdercoated wheels, Paxton SC, Belanger headers, Corsa exhaust, upgraded fuel, and tuned by ART.

Second is Gen IV 10 Toxic Orange vert. 1500 miles, 6-spokes, tan leather, navi.

Would like your observations on what you think would be the most fun. Let the comments begin. :)

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would bet $$$$$ that with the new Viper beings brought out it will raise all of our value on the GEN III and IV.. Its just like in the Ferrari market. With the FF, 458 and the F12 being so much more than say a 430,360 or 575 it pulls those cars value up. I was looking at 360,430 and 575 Ferrari before I bought my Viper and with all the prices on the new Ferrari being so high it jumped the value of the lesser priced ones by almost 20 and sometimes 30K. When I asked my business partner why that was ( He owns multiple Ferrari dealerships) He told me the higher the new cars the higher the used go. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that the same applies to our Vipers

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments. I've had a couple of modded Vipers...Gen II with ROE. This one is dynoed at 700 HP and love the polished Novi and intake. Sounds great as well. I have to admit I love the black and red interior on the Mamba. I think it would be hot looking with a Gen IV hood.

Have to say I love the Toxic Orange with black stripes and the tan interior looks phenomenal.

The cost difference is about $40k so the 04 is the more financially logical choice. But why be logical? lol

Still trying to figure out what route to go.
I know EXACTLY what Orange Viper you are looking at. That car is over priced by about 25K. Its been for sale for a while. That car will sell for about 70K maybe 73K they are asking 95K!!!!! Out of their minds! I just bought my 08 4,000 miles with Nav and all the stuff in the trunk and paid 66K and probably could have got it for 64K if I would have really pushed and held out.I also had a deal worked out with a 09 2K on it blk with grey strips nav I could have got for 66K but it was a lot farther in distance and would have cost me another 2K in shipping over the 08 So I went with the 08. It is one sweet ride but 95K is NUTS!!!! Sorry for all the back to back posts, I keep getting interrupted. Check out this one you can probably walk out of the dealership with this for about 72K Give them a call. I spoke with the MGR a couple months ago about a car they had and he was great and they make deals here is the ad http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...][]]&listingId=343933661&listingIndex=2&Log=0

OP
OP
R

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott...I appreciate the posts and advice. You're exactly right about the 2010 TO being overpriced. That's one of the primary reasons I've not pulled the trigger on it. The more I read and hear the more I think they're a little unrealisticly high. It's interesting that there's another one almost exaclty like it and the dealer wants $100K. I like to price on the one you linked but not a fan of white stripes. I'm just going to take my time and make a careful decision.

I like the modded 04 for several reasons but I don't want to rush into anything either. So, I'll just eep considering and make a decision before long.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
take your time. thats what I did and got exactly what I wanted. If you keep looking online you will see the a lot of cars come and go. Here is some advice if the car sits for more than a month its over priced. There is a orange 2010 here in Cali with 5,000 miles and the guy is asking 115k!!!!! I laughed in his face (literally)when he told me. He had the car at my friends Ferrari dealership and was trying to trade it in and I said I will buy it on the spot if the price is right. A little more info for you for price as well. My friends dealership only offered him $67,500 for it on trade and he was looking at a 200K Ferrari california. So if thats all they would give him that means that car was only worth 73K if someone really wanted it maybe 74K.
Scott...I appreciate the posts and advice. You're exactly right about the 2010 TO being overpriced. That's one of the primary reasons I've not pulled the trigger on it. The more I read and hear the more I think they're a little unrealisticly high. It's interesting that there's another one almost exaclty like it and the dealer wants $100K. I like to price on the one you linked but not a fan of white stripes. I'm just going to take my time and make a careful decision.

I like the modded 04 for several reasons but I don't want to rush into anything either. So, I'll just eep considering and make a decision before long.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is EXACTL what I just went threw 2 months ago. I was trying to decide between a gen III with mods or a gen IV stock. I did research for about two or three months. Go with the gen IV its a better car more reliable if its stock and it will hold its resale much better because there are so many less gen IV than gen III. Also with a car with Mods you really don't know what you're getting. A SC and all that other stuff. You are asking for a headache. Even if you put the two up against each other the gen IV might still come out on top. It take a lot to put 100 horsepower on a car. And lets be honest. Unless you plan on taking it to the track 600 HP is way more than enough. (God I must be getting old. I would have smacked myself 5 years ago for saying that lol) They are both great choices the two best colors on a Viper in my opinion. But I would go with the IV Thats what I did and LOVE LOVE LOVE my ride .and some FYI for you the only made 133 roadsters in 2010. And probably not that many of them were orange. You will hold your value. Thats just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy what you buy

Dude at 40k difference that's the most stupid advice I've heard. His going to loose that 40k in depreciation over the next 36 months. The gen3 will still be a solid 40-45K with those mods 3 years from now.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude at 40k difference that's the most stupid advice I've heard. His going to loose that 40k in depreciation over the next 36 months. The gen3 will still be a solid 40-45K with those mods 3 years from now.

I don't think anyone is saying spend 40k more on a Gen IV as that was not the original question. Everyone said the Gen IV is a better car. And it is. The original posters example happened to be 40k or whatever difference in asking price, which was given after the fact.

A gen IV convertible can be had for a realistic 10k-20k more than a comparable Gen III, sometimes even less than 10k more.

Gen IV converts low mileage can be had all day long in the 60s, for sure in the 70s. There is no reason to spend 90k+ on a used Gen IV convertible unless its a 1 of 20 ACR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth