Need help fast

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I have the belanger exhaust system put on my car and I'm having a problem. Well after putting about 500 miles on my car I realized that there was smoke coming inside from my passenger side. It really didn't bother me to much since I figured it was still the new exhaust burning off or something. Well when I stopped everything was fine until I went to get it in reverse it wouldn't hardly go I had to shove it over hard to get it in. It did this for a couple days then I finally took it to the dealer and told them what it was doing. They said I burnt some kind of wiring harness due to the headers. Well they fix and tell me there is nothing they can do for the check engine light which I kinda figured. So I drive out to my dads which is about 25 miles or so one way when I get there the car is smoking a lot worse then it was before from the passenger side. Well when I get ready to leave guess what it happens again can't get it into reverse on top of that it has a huge exhaust leak now. They told me last time they might not be able to help me if it does it again since it is aftermarket part causing it. I was wondering what can be done so this doesn't keep happening I really don't want to take the exhaust off but may have to if I can't keep it from doing this. Any help would be appreciated guys. Oh yeah the car is a 2006 FE coupe stock except filters and this exhaust.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Bellanger. They have had some issues, but I thought they were resolved. Do a search and you will find lots of post's about this. Also, who installed your exhaust. If its a shop, Id go back to them and see what they can do. I know theres what I believe is a solenoid for reverse lockout. Not sure what you have burnt, but it may be tied into that and the 02 sensors.
Regardless, something wasnt installed right for you to be having that much trouble.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your profile is anonymous, so I cannot determine who you are. Regardless, if you cannot get immediate help from Belanger or your INSTALLER / Vendor, please call or email us.

This certainly sounds like some instructions maybe were not followed to the letter for install. Shortcuts can cause scorching / shorting.

Reaction score
I agree entirely, the installation was not correct and the heat shielding may not be installed correctly. The 02 extensions sound like they are the culprit for sure. Make sure there is adequate insulation and not chaffed through anywhere. The routing of the extensions are also very critical as far as chaffing. Hope this thread helps you figure it out and if not call me and I will try to help out.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
These guys, JonB and Mark Jorgensen are usually right.

I lost the reverse gear lock out solenoid on my 2006 coupe too, but it had nothing to do with wiring or the Belanger install, the solenoid just failed.

If there are problems with your install, which it sounds like, take it back to the installer.

Unfortunately, the check engine light with the Belanger install seems to be rather common. Check the archives.

Dan

OP
OP
L

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the help. Jon I don't know how to make it unprivate but I ordered it through ya about a month a go or so. I'll give you a call tomorrow. I'll probably find someone with a lift and go through it my self except the installer kept my instructions and my boxes. LOL Just my luck that I need them now. I can live with the check engine every car that I've put headers on usually throws it. I did see a wiring harness that had what looked like some sort of fire proofer burnt up pretty good the dealer did show me that.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had Bellengers on my gen 1 and now on my 06 coupe-- never a problem, sounds like an installation problem. Who installed the headers/exhuast? They might be responsible. John