Need help with cigarette lighter issue

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was airing up my tires yesterday using a 12v air compressor plugged into the viper's cigar lighter. I aired up 1 tire and it suddenly stopped working. I double checked the air compressor worked in another vehicle socket and also confirmed a phone charger worked in another vehicle but not the Viper.

From process of elimination, I think the issue is either the cigar lighter wire connectors or the wiring itself.

Would a good way to test the wires be to cut back the insulation and use a multimeter? Does the wiring go all the way from fuse panel to console?

Steps I've taken using a multimeter:
1) Verified cigar lighter fuse is good at hood fuse box and drivers side fuse box
2) Checked for any other blown fuses
3) Tested cigar lighter wire connections and they do not carry a charge
4) Hooked up new cigar lighter and no power still (female end did not fit well but I held hot wire in place).

I have a 2002 Viper which has a 25 fuse under the hood for the lighter/hazards. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Peter Kater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was airing up my tires yesterday using a 12v air compressor plugged into the viper's cigar lighter. I aired up 1 tire and it suddenly stopped working. I double checked the air compressor worked in another vehicle socket and also confirmed a phone charger worked in another vehicle but not the Viper.

From process of elimination, I think the issue is either the cigar lighter wire connectors or the wiring itself.

Would a good way to test the wires be to cut back the insulation and use a multimeter? Does the wiring go all the way from fuse panel to console?

Steps I've taken using a multimeter:
1) Verified cigar lighter fuse is good at hood fuse box and drivers side fuse box
2) Checked for any other blown fuses
3) Tested cigar lighter wire connections and they do not carry a charge
4) Hooked up new cigar lighter and no power still (female end did not fit well but I held hot wire in place).

I have a 2002 Viper which has a 25 fuse under the hood for the lighter/hazards. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
Try changing the fuse, even if "not needed".. It might be blown in a way that isn't obvious.
I've had the same issue on my 97' GTS