1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new shifter boot. Will that solve all heat problem?

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by anton28, Sep 7, 2013.

1. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

Theres A LOT of heat coming from the center consol. After enought time I can't even touch my shifter it's gets so hot. I know I've always had a ripped rubber shifter boot. Now that I got my car back from RSI It produces so much more heat so Im going to replace the rubber shifter boot but Im wondering if there is anything else I can do while I'm there to reduce the heat coming from the center consol.

2. intense5.5

intense5.5 Viper Owner

To replace the inner rubber shift boot you'll have to remove the shift bezel and center console (did mine today - replaced the ripped inner boot and added a red stitched shift boot). Once the console is out you could try wrapping it in this; http://www.eastwood.com/dynaliner-1-4-12sq-ft-32-x-54.html

3. Moundir

Moundir Enthusiast

Transmittion cooler! Worth every penny! That heat is gonna kill your current transmission, better get I front of the problem.

4. 98intrigue

98intrigue Viper Owner

I have the same problem, Anton. Not sure if the boot was ripped before I got my car back, but it was all ripped up when I replaced my center console. After awhile, it's too hot to touch.

5. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

Good point and i will definetly be looking in to this but that will not address the temp issue that im talking about.Which unit did you end up using?

6. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

Have you replaced the boot yet?

7. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

Did you notice a significant temp change when replacing just the boot?

8. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

mhow about the dyniliner? Did that work well for you?

9. Moundir

Moundir Enthusiast

Dont know the brand, I got it from Donato Engineering. I came with my new rebuilt 6060.

10. Stonep185

Stonep185 Viper Owner

My center consol/shifter heat was reduced by 30-40 degrees when I replaced fluid with amsoil 75w-90.

11. intense5.5

intense5.5 Viper Owner

I just changed the boot and haven't spent much time in the car yet to tell. I didn't add any matting, I just knew what you were looking for.

12. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Enthusiast

I'm fairly certain that I've heard the metal ring around the GEN IV shifters get pretty dang hot. My GEN II lower radio bezel area gets hottest when there's a combination of spirited driving and a sunny day. I'm sure that a non-damaged lower shift boot will help, but it won't solve the issue.

13. 98intrigue

98intrigue Viper Owner

Not yet. My car has been down for another 2 months.

14. Sonoman

Sonoman Viper Owner

The rubber inner boot on the shifter is paper thin and is intended to stop airflow but not heat that is conducted through the shift mech itself. So it will reduce the temp of the ring surrounding the leather boot on your console, but not the temp of the shift lever. I got good results lining the transmission tunnel under the car with self adhesive heat-reflecting aluminized insulation material. Found it on Amazon and it's only about 1/16" thick, cuts easily, and adheres well. Apparently, the new Corvette C7 is using the spaceage Aerogel for lining the transmission tunnel. This stuff is great but 3-4 times more expensive (we use it at my aerospace job).

15. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

now what happened???

16. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

great advice!

17. Malu59RT

Malu59RT Viper Owner

I noticed this on my Viper, and got my torn shift boot replaced under extended warranty, as it was burning my forearm driving around. After replacement, the temperature on the transmission tunnel was much better, hope this helps!

18. ACRucrazy

ACRucrazy Enthusiast

Is there someone that sells a kit? Where can I read more about this?

19. 98intrigue

98intrigue Viper Owner

Drove through standing water and hydroplaned into a guardrail. I seriously can't catch a break.

20. anton28

anton28 Enthusiast

Bro I'm sorry to hear that. Some cars just have gremlins bro. I'm not saying sell the viper for something else but maybe sell this one for another one.