Need new STREET tires. Blah... Question...

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok ok I HATE street tires BUT, WHEN i return home SEPTEMBER 18th from getting OUT of the Marine Corps I will be taking my girlfriend on a little road trip from Southern Illinois (where I live ) to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Well anyone who knows me, knows I usually only run BFG's...BUT

Mountains = rain

BFG drag radials + rain = probably flying off a mountain road :omg:

We don't want that now do we. SO i need some street tires, that hook well (just in case hehe) , are good in the rain, and can handle the twisties of the mountain roads. They HAVE to be good in the rain, driving in the rain on my BFG's i was only going 30mph and sliding all over the highway that is SCARY! These will be mountedon my 18" CCW 505 wheels.

Anyone have any suggestions for me, I only need REAR tires. Something that won't break the bank since i'm already dropping alot of cash on the cabin in the mountains :)

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the PS2s and love them. They hook very well, and Ive had zero problems in the rain with them. JonB at PartsRack is the man to get them from.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does a rear set of PS2's run?
Does John B give VCA discounts? I actually think i have a small credit with him. Hmmm I may be calling him soon. Kinda ***** BFG's **** in the rain because now I have to buy PS2's and a set of BFG's when i get back :(

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...How much does a rear set of PS2's run?
Does John B give VCA discounts? I actually think i have a small credit with him. Hmmm I may be calling him soon........

JonB's 'deployed Military' discount is currently better than the customary VCA discount.

I hate that this board does not show true names, so I cannot ID you.....

As a former TDYer at Scott AFB myself, I know I have one customer 'from' there in Belly-Ville-Ill..........That you? Problem: Not safe to mismatch tire treads front and rear. They handle differently. I may have some good USED tires that match and would be "Homecoming Prices"

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB's 'deployed Military' discount is currently better than the customary VCA discount.

I hate that this board does not show true names, so I cannot ID you.....

As a former TDYer at Scott AFB myself, I know I have one customer 'from' there in Belly-Ville-Ill..........That you? Problem: Not safe to mismatch tire treads front and rear. They handle differently. I may have some good USED tires that match and would be "Homecoming Prices"
OOh John's Deployed Military Discount? That sounds good! Yes sir I am probably the only customer from Belleville, IL. James Fetters is the name. I've ordered from you before.

not safe to mismatch treads you say? Hmm I have mismatched treads on there right now:drive: . I have BFG KDW's on the front right now. I actually like them alot. "Homecoming prices" Man I like what I hear John. Guess I need to give you a call huh? What's your #? Oops it's in your sig. Since you closed at 5 i'll try to give you a call tomorrow! Unless you want to send me a PM with the price and info.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't compremise on the rear tires! Last month I wrote off my 98 GTS when I drove into puddles. Instantly hydrplaned and after 3 donuts I head on'd a Semi @ 50mph. We're lucky to be alive! I was getting low on tread. Vipers are bad in the rain.

Haven't been able to get the wife into the new 01 Viper yet.

Ted

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Kuhmos V700's are VERY good on the street and hook very well and can take some rain as i've been it in a few times with no problems.

I got mine from Jon B

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Kuhmo V700's do hook VERY well. I have them and in my opinion the PS2's will be far superior in the rain.

If street racing is your game the Kuhmo's are the way to go. If not, I would go with the PS2's. When I get new tires I will not go with Kuhmo's because the traction for street racing is not that important to me and the Kuhmo's pick up every bit of debris you pass.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OOh Jon's Deployed Military Discount? That sounds good! Yes sir I am probably the only customer from Belleville, IL. James Fetters is the name. I've ordered from you before. ...Not safe to mismatch treads you say? Hmm I have mismatched treads on there right now . I have BFG KDW's on the front right now. I actually like them alot. "Homecoming prices" Man I like what I hear Jon.

AMAZING P.S. to JAMES:

***One of our customers has DONATED a $100 gift certificate toward your tire purchase here.
When you email or call Ill provide the details, from the generous VCA member in Maryland.***

You also maintained a $65 credit here from a past purchase.

On mis-matched treads: all is well until soemthing unusual happens: swift evasive manuever; high-speed entrance/exit corner; puddle; panic stop or turn. That is when the mis-matched tires PERFORM DIFFERENTLY, when at their limits. Since the limits and handling are different the car goes away fast. We have dismantled many organ donor Viper, and a LOT of em have mis-matched tires ! ITS A RACE CAR, YOU CANT DO THAT !!!

Last edited:

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin PS2s are almost the only choices, I got mine at discount tires locally. I payed around 1700 for all four which is not too bad at all. BFG got bought out by Michelin and they are discontinuing the BF for Vipers, I was mad because they were good and 400 cheaper. ****ing French company.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOHN K,
WOW man I didn't expect anything like that. THANK YOU so much. I really appreciate the gift certificate towards new tires. Man that is so awesome and a great gift! I owe you one man! Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate it!

It's amazing the people on this site, I have always gotten 100% support from everyone here on this site, between getting just PM's saying thank you or a gift such as this, it's great to be a member of such a great group of people. Viper owners are hands down the best people around! THANKS AGAIN JOHN K!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are the Kumho's in the rain? I WANT street grip...BUT I NEED to be SAFE in the rain.

Seriously the rain scares the crap out of me, I was In a BAD car acciden't my senior year of High school (friend driving not me), we hydro planed, did a complete 360 and hit a car head on at 55mph, upon impact it knocked us off the road and we flipped long ways 3 times and barrel rolled 5 times landing on the hood, slindgin down a steep inbankment and slammedto a stop into a concrete culvert.
SO now 7 years later the rain still makes me uncomfortable especially when someone else is driving. The BFG's scared the living crap outta me when I TRIED to go to a car show in the Viper on day last year and it started pouring rain, I was going 30mph and sliding like it was ice. NOT FUN lol. I had to get off the highway, park for 30 minutes and when I found out the rain wasen't going to stop, I had to take back roads all the way home so i could drive super slow lol

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Michelin PS2s are almost the only choices, I got mine at discount tires locally. I payed around 1700 for all four which is not too bad at all....

PartsRack is $1349-17"
PartsRack is $1449 18"
PartsRack is $1549 19+18" SRT10
s/h about ~~$50/set

NO TAX. To continue our support, we need and appreciate your business . Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How are the Kumho's in the rain? I WANT street grip...BUT I NEED to be SAFE in the rain. Seriously the rain scares the crap out of me...

James: I have driven full-tread V700 Kumhos in the rain. Can be scary, but no where near as bad as V-710 or Hoosier or bald OE or Hard old XGT-Z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB - PartsRack
Put em on, drive em, and REPORT !!

STEVE00RT10 said about PS2 in the WET

Having just completed a 1500 mile ride to Twinsburg, Ohio with my my brother for the annual Twinsdays event, I can do a little reporting on these new PS2 tires. They are GREAT!

The first thing I noticed was how well they tracked on dry road...no matter the surface. Almost like a regular car..........almost ;) Much better than the MPS tires I've been running for over 68,000 miles. The real test came coming home when we hit the heavy rain leaving Detroit yesterday that NY is getting now. The car handled beautifully. We've been in this kind of rain before, but there is absolutely no comparison as to how these PS2s handled and the old ones. I am extremely happy with these tires.

Next week, we're off again to tack on another 2300 miles. To the Dream Cruise and beyond.

Steve

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another recommendation for the PS2's; I was caught for the first time in a sudden afternoon rain shower last week and no problems what so ever. Can't believe the dry traction either. I have not been able to break the tires loose from a roll since I've had them where as my old pilot sports were useless in first gear. I did go from 26" to 28" diameter tires in the rear however.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff John B. Thanks for taking the time today to explain about tires today. I appreciate it. Let me know if you come up with some good treaded PS1's and If not then I'll go with the PS2's.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my old PS tires were a little scary in the rain but they were old. the new PS2's were very decent in the rain, much better than the old set. BY FAR

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an accident like yours with 3rd Gen Michelin ZP (low tread on rears) in the rain last month. Replaced my Viper and got new Pilot Sports with the car. Driving home last weekend through a half dozen thunderstorms I didn't notice any hydroplaning, even throught the puddles.

But my wife says that if it rains and we're in the Viper ... we're gonna be stopping.

Ted

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an accident like yours with 3rd Gen Michelin ZP (low tread on rears) in the rain last month. Replaced my Viper and got new Pilot Sports with the car. Driving home last weekend through a half dozen thunderstorms I didn't notice any hydroplaning, even throught the puddles.

But my wife says that if it rains and we're in the Viper ... we're gonna be stopping.

Ted
Sorry to hear about the accident.
SO you are running PS1's correct? And you say they work well in the rain? That is good to know! I've been asking just about everyone about how the PS1's are in the rain.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes. I crashed with the Michelin ZP's. The PS1's are good. Bill Pemberton told me that the Gen 1 tires are the worst in the rain. I don't remember what they're called, but stay away from them. I wouldn't expect much of a problem with the PS1's, but I'll certainly be super careful once I get under 50% tread and won't drive on any with less than 30% because of the tire widths. It's a lot cheaper to buy new if it saves a crash.

Ted

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I crashed with the Michelin ZP's. The PS1's are good. Bill Pemberton told me that the Gen 1 tires are the worst in the rain. I don't remember what they're called, but stay away from them. I wouldn't expect much of a problem with the PS1's, but I'll certainly be super careful once I get under 50% tread and won't drive on any with less than 30% because of the tire widths. It's a lot cheaper to buy new if it saves a crash.

Ted
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang