New 08 Viper or a Ford GT

427Aggie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spray for that post this year you get a ride :)

We will be in Austin the second to last weekend in March at the same hotel...come on over Saturday if you want...I think we might have a few more GT's hanging out this year.

Matt

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT all the way! I have had 4 Vipers and I love em but the GT is so much better! Oh course it costs alot more as well.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the GT a try. They will not depreciate, so if you decide to switch over to a Viper again, then it will be easy.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a TT genII, genIII vert. and a GT. All great cars for different reasons. If your just looking for a GREAT toy, then the GT is the best of the bunch.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff here guys, they/we are talking about us over on the GT forum. Someone posted "interesting topic on Viper site" and it's getting a lot of responses. Great to see everyone's opinion and input for we are all car guys and we all have our own perspectives. I will always own a Viper but for you guys who haven't driven a GT if you get the chance then take it, you will be blown away especially at high speeds. The car is so stable up top it's unreal. Do you fellow GT owners agree? Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious about your comment "Truely an American Super car". What makes it a supercar? The price, the performance, it being exclisive since not many were built? Only reason why i ask is that the Viper is very close in comparison to the GT with the exception of price.

Yes the GT is a bit faster, but the Viper with some simple, inexpensive mods can outrun the GT.
Yes the GT is a bit more exclusive, but that is only because it was an extemely limited poduction car.

If you are looking for a collector car for the future, no doubt it is the GT but i just cant seem to get past the price difference for two relatively similar performing cars.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious about your comment "Truely an American Super car". What makes it a supercar? The price, the performance, it being exclisive since not many were built? Only reason why i ask is that the Viper is very close in comparison to the GT with the exception of price.

Yes the GT is a bit faster, but the Viper with some simple, inexpensive mods can outrun the GT.
Yes the GT is a bit more exclusive, but that is only because it was an extemely limited poduction car.

If you are looking for a collector car for the future, no doubt it is the GT but i just cant seem to get past the price difference for two relatively similar performing cars.

I understand where you are coming from Nader but you are off base a little with your comparison. The first thing that comes to mind is the heritage of the GT. In the 60's it became an icon with it's obliteration of the Ferrari and every other race car on the planet at Lemans. IMO this in itself vaults the GT to super car status. We all know what the Viper did in 1998 but it will never compare to four years straight of winning Lemans 1966-1969.

Secondly it is price, exclusivity and performance that gives it a super car label. Look at the Carrera GT, a world super car that has a top speed of 1 mph faster then the GT and is a $440,000 car. The Viper is around 190 vs. 205 for the GT, man that is a HUGE difference. This goes also for the 0-60 and 1/4 mile, it's only a few tenths but it might as well be an hour in the racing world. You mention mods for the Viper, heck you can do a pulley, exhaust, intakes and re-map and have a fire breathing 750 hp in the GT, check out the GT forum and see what I mean.

And lastly is the handing of the GT. With all due respect to the Viper the GT is a spectacular handling car. Not to say the Viper isn't but the balance and apex ability of the GT is superior. I own both cars and would like to hear from other Viper/GT owners to get their input. Regards, Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly understand all your comments and can appreciate them. In the end, I think the difference in price is just so different that if I had to chose between the two, it would have to be and was the Viper. Heck for $70,000 plus another $30,000 in mods you will beat any modified car, whether in a drag race or topend. In addition 95% of the people buying these cars are never going to even come close to the cars potential and that includes me.

You comments about the exclusitivity really only appeals to a few of many performance car buyers. Most people buy for the car for the car, not for what it did or necessarily what it represents.

Again I can appriate your view point and comments and, if i could afford both, i would certainly have both in my stable.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand where you are coming from Nader but you are off base a little with your comparison. The first thing that comes to mind is the heritage of the GT. In the 60's it became an icon with it's obliteration of the Ferrari and every other race car on the planet at Lemans. IMO this in itself vaults the GT to super car status. We all know what the Viper did in 1998 but it will never compare to four years straight of winning Lemans 1966-1969.

Those four years of winning were by the GT40, not the GT. The relationship between the GT and GT40 is the same manufacturer and some styling cues, that's it.

Secondly it is price, exclusivity and performance that gives it a super car label. Look at the Carrera GT, a world super car that has a top speed of 1 mph faster then the GT and is a $440,000 car. The Viper is around 190 vs. 205 for the GT, man that is a HUGE difference. This goes also for the 0-60 and 1/4 mile, it's only a few tenths but it might as well be an hour in the racing world. You mention mods for the Viper, heck you can do a pulley, exhaust, intakes and re-map and have a fire breathing 750 hp in the GT, check out the GT forum and see what I mean.

The price comment is understood. But as for performance, I believe the present discussion is between the upcoming stock 08 Viper and the Ford GT, not the present Viper with the 190 # and not the 750 HP modified GT. With that in mind, it would seem that the stock 08 Viper will be a touch faster than the GT, or at least equal, as its 600 HP # appears a bit underrated as is the GTs' 550 HP #. Further, the Viper will have better braking. Handling remains to be seen, but presumably roughly equivalent. So the GT doesn't appear to be better in performance (acceleration, top end speed, braking, and handling) than the 08 Viper, and it will be lucky if it is even roughly equal. We can go on to talk about mods, but we know that's all about $ - and we're already seeing what appears to be a relatively easy 675 HP out of the Viper and that's just MOPAR and not the aftermarket in effect yet. So I'm just not seeing where the GT will really continue to a big deal - significant, yes, but not a big deal. It will have a certain cache and collectibility due to the limited production run, and that's about it. Sure it's an American Super Car, but the 08 Viper seems to match or beat the GT in everything but price (that's a good thing!) and a touch of exclusivity (but not much), which puts the 08 Viper into that American Super Car echelon.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spray for that post this year you get a ride :)

We will be in Austin the second to last weekend in March at the same hotel...come on over Saturday if you want...I think we might have a few more GT's hanging out this year.

Matt

Sounds good to me , I will see you there at the Cobra club meet and take you up on the ride offer. Getbit should bring his out also.
Mike

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
The price comment is understood. But as for performance, I believe the present discussion is between the upcoming stock 08 Viper and the Ford GT, not the present Viper with the 190 # and not the 750 HP modified GT. With that in mind, it would seem that the stock 08 Viper will be a touch faster than the GT, or at least equal, as its 600 HP # appears a bit underrated as is the GTs' 550 HP #. Further, the Viper will have better braking. Handling remains to be seen, but presumably roughly equivalent. So the GT doesn't appear to be better in performance (acceleration, top end speed, braking, and handling) than the 08 Viper, and it will be lucky if it is even roughly equal. We can go on to talk about mods, but we know that's all about $ - and we're already seeing what appears to be a relatively easy 675 HP out of the Viper and that's just MOPAR and not the aftermarket in effect yet. So I'm just not seeing where the GT will really continue to a big deal - significant, yes, but not a big deal. It will have a certain cache and collectibility due to the limited production run, and that's about it. Sure it's an American Super Car, but the 08 Viper seems to match or beat the GT in everything but price (that's a good thing!) and a touch of exclusivity (but not much), which puts the 08 Viper into that American Super Car echelon.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken but no way does a stock Viper have the aerodynamics to top 200 in my opinion. The GT was designed for 200 plus. Next in line is the mod question. When I responded to Nader I was reacting to his comments of a Viper with mods. Any fellow GT owner who has dyno tested his car will tell you that 520-530 rwhp seems to be the number bone stock. It is a transaxle car unlike the conventional drivetrain of a Viper. Now I'm not an engineer but having had my 2005 SRT on a dyno it seems the percentage of loss to the wheels is substantially greater in a Viper. Then you have the fact that the new Viper engine is totally unproven so that remains to be seen. Your comment about the GT being lucky to be roughly equal is totally unfounded and pure nonsense. Let me see a stock 2008 Viper out perform a stock GT. Have you ever seen a GT chassis, pure race car engineering. As I've said drive a GT and see the difference. Lastly let's not even discuss exclusivity...

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a good but old article comparing the two vehicles. Mind you this is based on an 04 Srt-10 . I think the new 08 will produce better numbers. But its not all about the numbers game and certainly other factors have to be considered.

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_FordGTvsDodgeViper_Article.htm

I was never really big on european cars like some of you mentioned and the Ferrari, Diablo or Gollardo that was mentioned really don;t catch my attention. Its funny, I was watching a segment on Barret Jackson and it was interesting to see that a Lambo Countach once a 6 figure selling car was now selling for less then $ 60 K with very low mileage and a 1960-61 Vette once selling for less then 10K now yielding over $ 120k.

Interesting to see where peoples interests lie. American Muscle will always yeild higher returns, in my humble opinion, over european cars going forward whether they be a Vette, Viper or GT.

My brother and I always got into arguments about his love for Porsche and mine for the Viper. Well guess what after 5 years he's finally getting the 08 and selling the Porsche.........not that Porsche is not also a great car. It's just funny how peoples preferences always seem to go back to American muscle.

Patrick

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS, 2005 SRT and 2006 Ford GT. They are all great cars. I think if I had to part with one it would be the SRT. The New 08' is on my list as the replacement for the 05' SRT. They are not making any more Ford GTs or Viper GTS. Get one while you can!!!

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great comments from you GT/Viper owners. I personally think the GTS has the GT beaten in the styling department but hey i'm just one of the few Viper owners that care 90% about looks and 10% performance. Long live the GTS!!! :headbang:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont own either but just for arguments sake Ill bring up the Lightening Lap article where the SRT coupe was 1 second behind the GT...1 second is alot...This track was 4+ miles long with lots of twisties...VIR....For the Viper to stay just 1 second behind the GT which has superior power means the Viper is very close to the GT handling wise.....If the current SRT coupe can be that competative with the GT I expect the 08 with much more power etc to be able to beat a GT. Its common sense..Im pretty sure the 08 will go over 200mph easily as well....We will see soon enough....Both cars are beutiful and will hang with the best from Europe...To own either would be great...To own both is a blessing.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

Point taken but no way does a stock Viper have the aerodynamics to top 200 in my opinion. The GT was designed for 200 plus. Next in line is the mod question. When I responded to Nader I was reacting to his comments of a Viper with mods. Any fellow GT owner who has dyno tested his car will tell you that 520-530 rwhp seems to be the number bone stock. It is a transaxle car unlike the conventional drivetrain of a Viper. Now I'm not an engineer but having had my 2005 SRT on a dyno it seems the percentage of loss to the wheels is substantially greater in a Viper. Then you have the fact that the new Viper engine is totally unproven so that remains to be seen. Your comment about the GT being lucky to be roughly equal is totally unfounded and pure nonsense. Let me see a stock 2008 Viper out perform a stock GT. Have you ever seen a GT chassis, pure race car engineering. As I've said drive a GT and see the difference. Lastly let's not even discuss exclusivity...

[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the stock 96 GTS got to 196 many years ago, so it would seem that the 08 with an additional 150 HP will surely be able to break the 200 MPH mark.

As for my comments on the 08 SRT versus the GT, I don't think it's pure nonsense, it is some speculation but we are already seeing the HP #s, 618 on one car, compared to 550+ for the GT, so factoring in drive-line loss (including a better retention of HP by the GT) seems to put them at least roughly equal. Braking on the current SRT is better than the GT, and is only getting much better for the 08, so there's a clear win for the 08 SRT. So with roughly equal acceleration and better braking for the 08 SRT, then we have other factors for handling like chassis, etc., and we will see how that shakes out, but I don't think it bodes overly well for the GT in light of the other advances on the SRT.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the great joys in owning either a Viper or GT is that you get to mingle with a great group of owners. From what I have heard, the Ford GT owners are just as fun loving and crazy as the Viper owners.

While some people get all hung up over which is 1/10th second faster, others realize that it is not the car so much, as the journey.

I believe the new 08 Viper will have it all over the GT, but I also realize that it does not seem to matter what year Viper you drive, the experience is very similar.

For my money, the Viper is the great experience. Great car, members, club, lots of service facilities, remarkably reliable, and fun to drive...would I turn down the chance to own a GT..no way.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this is true with the '08! With my GT it put down 551rwhp stone stock. Hopefully the '08 Viper will put down close to that number. I think the GTs are underraated big time. Anyway you look at it we win! Hey bring on the blue devil Vette! Bring them all on I love the hp wars that are going on we all win! :headbang:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have a choice, my vote would be for the GT.

I love Mustangs, and a '02 Mustang GT convertible is our family car. The day the Ford GT is available as a convertible, Ford has my business. I disposed of my '04 Z06 Vette because it's not a 'vert. 2 years and 2900 miles in the Vette. 3200 miles in 5 months in my '06 Viper roadster! It's here to stay!!! Dodge sure understands its customers, and I LOVE the car! My Vipertech is really cool and gives me a level of service that I've never even dreamt of!!!!!! :headbang: :usa: :usa: :usa: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Peter

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the great joys in owning either a Viper or GT is that you get to mingle with a great group of owners. From what I have heard, the Ford GT owners are just as fun loving and crazy as the Viper owners.

I believe you! The problem is the convertible/coupe camp. Once you go *******, you can't go back... :D :D :D

Peter

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the 60's it became an icon with it's obliteration of the Ferrari and every other race car on the planet at Lemans. IMO this in itself vaults the GT to super car status. We all know what the Viper did in 1998 but it will never compare to four years straight of winning Lemans 1966-1969.

Like someone said that was the GT-40.

Endurance racing is where world-class cars make world-class reputations for excellence. The Viper won the FIA GT2 Driver’s and Manufacturer’s Championships, making Dodge the first US Manufacturer ever to have done that. And it was three years in a row, in 1997 and 1998, and then won the reclassified FIA GT championship in 1999. It won the ALMS Series GTS Teams tittle and the Driver’s and Manufacturer’s Championships in 1999. Then the Holy Grail: Le Mans. Viper became the first American production-based car ever to win that race. Again three years in a row. In 1998 Vipers finished first and second. In 1999 the cars again finished one-two, with privateers finishing third though sixth. And then in the 2000 race: first, second, fourth. In 2000 a Viper won the 24 Hours of Daytona, overall! Daytona had never been won by an American production-based car. Then they went to Sebring, where Vipers finished first, second, and third. The Viper’s racing pedigree was quickly established. In just 5 years of racing! But 2000 was the last year of Dodge factory Viper racing.

After that, the Speed World Challenge championship. The Viper is still racing, World Challenge, One Lap of America, SCCA, VRL......

The Ford GT????????.....Viper is the racer.

IIRC, the stock 96 GTS got to 196 many years ago, so it would seem that the 08 with an additional 150 HP will surely be able to break the 200 MPH mark.

That, Plus:

-Better cooling

-Larger oil pump and a swinging oil pickup adapted from Viper competition engines, to improve oil pressure in high-rpm and hard-cornering conditions.

-Better transmission,(racers will applaud a new provision for adding an external transmission cooler.)

-The tried-and-true Dana M44-4 rear axle outfitted it with a new GKN Visco-Lok speed-sensing limited-slip differential for improved traction.

-Better tires(No more run-flats :laugh: )

The current Viper is one hell of a track car. The improved 08 will be truly a beast!!!! :headbang:

Patrick, good luck with your decision! Both are Great!!!! :2tu: :usa:

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both - an 01 Roe GTS and an 06 GT with a pulley. Both cars are pretty fantastic.

The GT rides, handles and brakes far better than the GTS (and I'm sure the 08 Viper will too).

Personally, I like the look of the GT a bit more.

As a daily driver, the GTS has one big advantage - 488 CID (or 8.0 vs 5.4 litres)! Driving around town in the Viper is much easier with all that torque just off idle.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really comes down to which car appeals to your taste.
As for faster, well in theory the Viper is a faster car once you dump tons of money into the engine.

As for racing, where the owner of both state the GT would be faster, that is only true if both vehicle's are stock. Don't forget the GT has a supercharger, which if you added one to the Viper you would have a greatly increased perfomance.

The center mount engine give the GT an advantage in handeling, but the biggest advantage is the tires that the viper has. Fatter tires = more traction. Fatter tires = less horizontal drift.

As for value, the GT being sold in lower numbers will be worth more. If the GT was sold for the same price and had the same production numbers this would not hold true.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08 Viper is a new car, they don't make Ford GT's anymore. You'll have current KOTH status in the Viper. I'd buy an 08 for a track car before I'd buy a(nother) GT. If you're just looking for a car to haul ass around town and have fun in, just look at what all the dual owners are saying. I think it stands at 6-0 GT in this thread? They'd know best.

Performance wise, the 08 will assuredly be a much much better drag car. I think the Z06 guys that are all in a bunch claiming it will be a drivers race in 08 are severely underestimating the impact sticky tires will have on the SRT. But it will have to make good use of the extra ponies on the big end. GT is geared for top speed runs, not the 1320, and it shows in this Autocar comp:

0-62 mph
FGT 3.9
Z06 4.0
SRT 4.3

0-124
Z06 11.9
FGT 12.0
SRT 13.8

0-155
Z06 19.0
FGT 19.0
SRT 24.3