New 1996 GTS Owner - Pittsburgh, PA

dnath28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I haven't picked it up yet but as of yesterday I purchased a 1996 GTS miles. Before I pick up to drive home, I am wondering what is best to do regarding the vehicle for servicing it. It appears nothing as far has been done for the fluids besides the oil back in 2020. New rear tires however were put on last year.

I was thinking of doing the following before driving it 300 miles to its new home:

-New PS pulley
-Coolant hose
-New front tires (existing are 2013)
-respray headlight clear coats
-re-align driver side door

Should I also have all fluids serviced before I drive it home? Or are these simple enough to do when on a lift to service them all yourself? Oil, differentials, transmission and power steering, brake fluid, clutch, flush coolant system?

Any other items not listed that I should know about what to address would be a great help as well.

I am looking to keep this stock and just keep up on the maintenance and do anything I can to it to help the value of the vehicle. Looking forward to enjoying it in the years to come.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think most of the fluids are pretty easy to change. I haven't done it on a gen 2 myself, but my gen 3 is relatively easy, I'd imagine even more so with a lift. Fluids tend to break down more at extreme conditions like on a race track with high heat, so a 300 mile trip home on the highway is likely not going to stress anything out, so I wouldn't worry about it personally.

brayden

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is super late and not relevant to your asks, but glad to see another Pittsburgh Viper owner on here. I haven't seen any other Vipers in the area... ever, so a welcomed sight!

brayden

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George Riggin Specialty Auto in Harmony, PA has been a great place for me so far. They deal with high end cars every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper