new ACR owner, some track prep questions

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just became a happy owner of 09 ACR and would like to get it ready for the track duty.

1. Do I need any special hardware to get harnesses (6 or 5 pt) installed with as few modifications to interior/seats as possible? Would any harness do or is special length/configuration required?

2. What would be good wheel/tire combination for running wet/colder track? the cups are not great tires for sub-50 temps and water on the track, in my experience, so I would like to have a secondary set and save the OEM setup for the summer.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Welcome Longdaddy, looks like your ACR is the perfect color.:)

Your car is already set-up to accept racing harnesses. May I suggest a 6 point system. That way your legal and safer just about everywhere. If you call JonB, he can give you the skinny on racing harnesses and tires.

You can post in the " What'cha Need for Your Snake? " section also to get answers.

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow nice track car I am jealous!

I love my teamtech harnesses, I believe JonB at partsrack has them.

Reaction score
A street type tire is about the only thing that will get any "heat" into it for cold or wet conditions so the PS2 or new Super Sports will be good choices. Nitto and Kumho are a second choice, but have large tread blocks that will not be as good as the PS tires.

OP
OP
L

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for replies and ***. I think I have an idea on how to proceed with the harness situation.

Still not sure what's the best way to go with second set of wheels/tires. What about running 18" vs 19" in the rear? Are there good choices for 18x12 or 18x13 wheels from other gen Vipers, or reasonably priced and still strong enough for track duty aftermarket options?

It looks like for colder/wet situations the available choices in OEM or near OEM rear widths (with 18 or 19" diameter) are PS2, Nitto NT05, and Kumho XS.

wow, that is not a lot of choice! I have used PS2 and Kumho ones on the track before, although w different cars.

Kumho is a good tire for dealing with water but it has pretty soft sidewall and tread blocks starts to deteriorate fast once you get it to track speeds - I imagine that viper speeds are especially ******* it :) It looks like it has very limited availability too.

PS2 is great for a street tire, but really caught me off guard a few times as it got greasy w heat - especially in a situation where some sessions are wet and some are just sort of damp within the same day. May not be a big deal for the winter months track days, since it is harder to build up enough heat

NT05 is an interesting option (and looks like a pretty cheap one). I bought NT01s for my corvette many times, and it was definitely dual use tire of choice. not a lot of tread geometry, but up until about 3/32nd depth it actually worked adequately in the wet.
How different is NT05 compound in terms of reacting to heat/wear from NT01? Is the sidewall stiffness comparable to NT01 or Michelin CUP tires or is this also a softer choice?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For true dual use the new Pilot Super Sports looks like it has a lot of potential.

Since it is pretty new, it only comes in certain sizes, so you might be limited to your wheel choices.

Seems like Dodge is hooking up with Pirelli. Might see some pretty agressive fittments coming out from them in the future.

You might wish to contact Jon Brobst from Parts Rack. He does a lot of track events in your area, and handles most of the Viper Tire options. He can also hook you up with safety equipment and speed gear. He drives a ACR set up for pace car duty, and knows most of the local tracks and racers. (Site supporter)

OP
OP
L

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only see sizes up to 305 at Michelin's website for 18/19" supersports :(

would love to try those tires.

For true dual use the new Pilot Super Sports looks like it has a lot of potential.

Since it is pretty new, it only comes in certain sizes, so you might be limited to your wheel choices.

Seems like Dodge is hooking up with Pirelli. Might see some pretty agressive fittments coming out from them in the future.

You might wish to contact Jon Brobst from Parts Rack. He does a lot of track events in your area, and handles most of the Viper Tire options. He can also hook you up with safety equipment and speed gear. He drives a ACR set up for pace car duty, and knows most of the local tracks and racers. (Site supporter)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the Neighborhood...................I recognize that famous car, the HELLO KELLEY Yellow ACR!

SRT10 from 2003+ are all pre-pinned from the factory for 6-pt harness. Major sanctioning bodies want 6pt-or-better since 2005.... My contact info is in my profile at leaft,a s is my 2009 ACR at work !

JonB ~~~~~:<~

Last edited:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all track conditions, even cold (not especially wet) tracks, the Hoosier DOT A6 or R6 is a good tire.
For an actual competition wet track tire, I think the best bet is to stay in the paddock and wait for a dry track to run your Hoosiers. The Viper Cup spec is Michelin wet tires, and the World Challenge spec tires are Pirelli wet tires. If you are talking about HPDE events, then any of the above tires with tread will prob work good enough, just stay out of my way (which you won't have to worry about if its wet, well, if if there is standing water)! ;)
You must be registered for see images attach
40 deg and wet at Mid-Ohio coming over madness....overall time 1:34.9 on Hoosier A6 tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped or made offers through PM/e-mail.

I am going with a harness set from teamtech, an extra set of take-off 5 spoke wheels, and Nitto-NT05 tires.

thanks a lot to JonB who is helping with the harness order, as well as providing the mounting hardware, not to mention spending a bunch of time practicing his Russian with me yesterday :D

also, I have to mention that Kelly has been a great guy to deal with, and he has gone through a lot of trouble to make the car deal happen - we had to overcome quite a bit of red tape from banks, state DOT rules/regulations etc, but in the end it all worked out.

finally:
For an actual competition wet track tire, I think the best bet is to stay in the paddock and wait for a dry track to run your Hoosiers. The Viper Cup spec is Michelin wet tires, and the World Challenge spec tires are Pirelli wet tires. If you are talking about HPDE events, then any of the above tires with tread will prob work good enough, just stay out of my way (which you won't have to worry about if its wet, well, if if there is standing water)!

if you are the kind of driver who parks his fancy toy at the sight of some water on the track, I can assure you that you do not have to worry about me holding you up, in the wet OR dry.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. The ACR is a great track car. Have fun with her! I agree that the PS2 is a decent alternative for wet track days without getting into the more expensive spec tires. It's not too bad in the dry but the shoulders wear fast.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped or made offers through PM/e-mail.

I am going with a harness set from teamtech, an extra set of take-off 5 spoke wheels, and Nitto-NT05 tires.

thanks a lot to JonB who is helping with the harness order, as well as providing the mounting hardware, not to mention spending a bunch of time practicing his Russian with me yesterday :D

also, I have to mention that Kelly has been a great guy to deal with, and he has gone through a lot of trouble to make the car deal happen - we had to overcome quite a bit of red tape from banks, state DOT rules/regulations etc, but in the end it all worked out.

finally:

if you are the kind of driver who parks his fancy toy at the sight of some water on the track, I can assure you that you do not have to worry about me holding you up, in the wet OR dry.

I'm VERY happy to see that you joined the VCA Igor! This is by far the best car club in the world. Great people here.

Working through the red tape was NO problem at all. I hope the car is everything you expected it to be. I do have to ask what is up with the Hello Kitty though. That's a first!

OP
OP
L

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a halloween decoration - nothing permanent! The car has been great so far, I think I am finally getting used to sitting so far back of the center point - very different from what I am used to

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a halloween decoration - nothing permanent! The car has been great so far, I think I am finally getting used to sitting so far back of the center point - very different from what I am used to

Yeah, there's nothing quite like driving from the trunk. :D