New best 1/4 mile time thanks to Heffners performance

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had to come on here and brag a little bit. Went to the track last night and ran a 11.39 at 128 on all motor and radials with a 2.1 60 foot time. The most impressive is the mph......Thanks to Jason Heffner at Heffners Performance, a true tuner. His head package and tuning on his dyno really paid off!!!!!!!!!!!

S

SUN RA KAT

Great times - all of them! A 2.1 60' time seems slow to regular draggers, but it seems pretty darned fast if you're doing yourself and you don't have a lot of experience. I got a 2.1 60' time in my Ram truck earlier this year and I thought I was the fastest thing on earth while I was doing it. Yes, this was the first time I ever ran "legit" on a real dragstrip & it was my 2nd run of the night. My first was a 2.2 60' time and didn't seem nearly so fast.

OP
OP
B

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a lot of track time under my belt but the track was very slick off the line and a lot of people where complaining about it, I usually get around a 1.8 60 foot. I will try again next time........Thanks

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob those are awesome numbers, what are the mods that you have done and did you ever dyno it? what gears are you running?

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Good Times! Tell us your Mods and Dyno #'s.

The Track Is Addictive, SO I hope you had fun.
Im gonna try and hook up with some of those "Fast" Texas Vipers for some more Drag racing at the end of the month.

Congrats

OP
OP
B

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jamie and Bob, I have dynoed the car at Heffners before and it dynoed 520rwhp and 546rwtq and I am running stock gearing witch is 307's. I am going to go to the Import verse Domestic at MIR on November 3rd but will have my half shafts in and be on a drag tire.....wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
B

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot to tell you my mods in the last post.......

Belanger headers and cat back with no cats
custom air box with smooth tubes
Heffners head package with 1.7 rockers
Dastek computer
Griffin radiator with 160 stat
25% pulleys
cold air sensor is moved to front facia

These are the mods that would help performance. I am sure I
forgot somthing but this most of it.....

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Bob, that car will definitely go 10s on some sticky tires.
Phil, Bobs car has the stock 97 camshaft in it. Every car I've installed my head package on has made over 500 rwhp with stock cams no matter what year it is. I just delivered a 2002 GTS today with this package that made over 500 rear wheel with the stock cam and computer.
One question Bob, who taught you how to drive? Was it Jamie Furman or Evan Smith?
laugh.gif

OP
OP
B

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think everybody has there own technique on driving but you guys are hard!!!!!!!!! I know that 2.1 60 is really bad but track conditions help me with that........................

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

If you don't mind, can you give us some more details on your head packages. For example:

- HP & Torque gains?
- Where are these power gains realized in the RPM range?
- Will a custom cam provide even more power, and at what additional cost? How about effects on drivability?
- Any major differences between model years (1996-2002)? Any negatives for Creampuffs?
- I assume headers/high-flow cats/3' exhaust are a must, right?
- What are the prices, including your installation and tuning?
- Any type of warrantee provided?

Please be as specific as possible, and many members are craving more information.

Later

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually I see a 70 to 80 rwhp increase from the head package with the installation of rocker arms. Bobs car has almost 50,000 miles on it and alreasy had considerable mods done to it. The car had the following mods befor the heads: Belanger headers, no cats, Belanger cat back, Arrow rockers, modified air box, tube & filters, underdrive pulley, and a programmable engine controller that is called the Unichip. With these mods the car made right around 470 rwhp already which is a lot for these mods. After the head install the car made 520 rwhp, an increase of 50. The reason Bobs car only picked up 50 rwhp is simple, the more horsepower you make, the harder it is to make more. A more common example would be V8HUNTRs 98 GTS. This car had B&B headers, Borla cat back, tubes, filters, and an air box. This car made 421 rwhp. After the installation of my head package with rockers, the car made 507 rwhp, an increase of 86 rwhp. The head package includes the following: fully ported and polished intake and exhaust runners, polished combustion chambers, three angle valve job, 2.02 intake and 1.60 stainless exhaust valves, teflon valve seals, Crower valve springs, titanium retainers, chromoly pushrods, T&D 1.7 roller rockers and optional milled deck surface at no extra charge. As far as torque gains go, I'd have to pull up some dyno figures to tell you exactly but I believe that on average the peak torque numbers are somewhere around 520 to 530 at the rear wheels. Power and torque gains are throughout the entire RPM range, at no point does this package make less than stock. All packages that are installed by me have a one year warranty. A cam would definitely make more power but the bigger the cam, the more you risk compromising driveability. The head package with rockers and pushrods sells for 4500, installation is 1000, gaskets & fluids are roughly 350. A billet steel cam is 700, Billet roller timing chain is about 150, timing cover gasket, 20, cam install while doing heads 350. Headers & exhaust are a must if you want to make the big power. If you guys have any more questions, please ask. I'm always happy to help out. P.S. Dyno time is included in the installation price. Also, if you guys want, I can post some dyno sheets. Let me know. Thanks.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Jason. A few more questions, if you don't mind. Let's assume most customers already have the Headers/Exhaust/Tubes upgrades. Therefore, they can expect 500-520 RWHP from the head package upgrade, which is awesome.

1.) How much more horsepower should one expect by upgrading the cam, and where is this power realized (RPM band)? Basically, is the RPM limit raised to utilize the power?

2.) Do you offer different cam profiles?

3.) Any other issues upgrading the cam? I know everyday driveability is one, but can you be as specific as possible. A lumpy cam is actually intoxicating, as long as the car isn't constantly stalling or impossible to drive in traffic.

4.) If you know a customer wants to upgrade the cam, is the head work performed any different?

P.S. - Thanks again for all the information. It seems like this is an awesome choice for people that would like to stay Naturally Aspirated, or make even more HP by adding a power adder at a later date. In addition, road racing with power adders like SC, TT, etc... poses additional problems that some may not want to deal with....

Later

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do offer a few different cam profiles depending on what you want out of the car. If you do the same mods Bob has, most cars make in the neighborhood of 510 to 515 rwhp. If you go with a mild cam, bigger throttle bodies and a ported intake you should expect around 550rwhp. This would be a very streetable cam that would be easy to live with even on a daily driver. Most aftermaket cams will offer increased hp and torque above 2500 rpms.The head work stays the same unless you want an all out race car. Maximum power will be betweem 5500 and 5800. To raise redline higher than that the cam will cause less than desireable driveability. The only other issue I can think of is the fact that the factory cam and timing gear only has one bolt holding the cam gear on. With aftermarket cams and significantly increased valve spring pressure the one bolt is sometimes inadequate. I have my cams made with a three bolt pattern for the cam gear which eliminates any worries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21