New Devlopment for Vipers

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"2500 bucks for a reduction of 7 lbs of unsprung weight?
7 lbs of unsprung weight will drop your lap time 2 seconds?"

I'm thinkin I might be better off spending 1700 to 2000 for a set of Monocoque lightweight wheels (17" diameter wheels have a larger PMOI than 4-5 inch diameter half shafts and should result in a larger reduction in lap time when speaking to rotating weight reduction) that will remove at least 35 pounds of unsprung, rotating weight, which should decrease your lap time by 10 seconds! (if you subscribe to the theory that a 7 lb reduction is worth 2 seconds)

Geez, what are these half shaft made of, Unobtanium?

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know how those 1" dia axles on the GTS R can take more launch torque than the half Shaft? Yes, getting the bind/squat out in the launch is a benefit. But doesn't this mod require new internals in the rear end? ie New yokes coming out of center section.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
..MY friend has a 1500.00 set of CUSTOM Unitrack halfshafts on his 600 rear wheeled Viper which he runs on Slicks.The halfshafts Work great (they never break)instead the power goes straight to the rear end and tranny which GRENADE 2-3 times per year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'spline bind' that Keith refers to is a by-product of the weaker, OE shafts, after the splines wear. CV by design are immune. The Unitrax Lightweight SuperShafts (List $1595, PartsRack $1495) are hardened, and 7 lbs lighter (the set) than OE, and rated to 1000HP. Unitrax reports no failures or warranty issues due to worn splines.

But CV differentials for Viper have been around quite a while.....just heavier. Keiths shafts MAY require the Quaiffe Diff.....I dont know by the first post if they work with OE.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "fuse" is supposed to be the drive shaft.

Look at heavy trucks and equipment.

As far as rather breaking a diff or trans over a 1/2 shaft doesn't make sense to me.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNITRAX's new Supreme Lightweight half shafts have been completed their first full season of testing by several road race teams. The new shafts will not bind and weigh in at 26 pounds per pair. The shafts have performed to all of our expectations. The shafts offer an all-new design from our previous shafts. The Supreme shafts sell for $1595.00 per pair with all necessary hardware. &lt;P&gt;UNITRAX is now offering a Super 44 Detroit TrueTrac for use with our Supreme Lightweight half shafts. The TrueTrac is a torque biasing differential similar to the Quaife. This package will offer outstanding performance. The kit cost is $2195.00.&lt;P&gt;UNITRAX also just released Viper Half Shaft Safety Loops. The kits are complete with hardware and mount elegantly to the frame. The kit cost is $195.00.&lt;P&gt; &lt;P&gt;

Whoa..You get a diff and halfshafts as a package for 2195.00?? that less than the $2500 Kmoody quotes for just cv halfshafts....Hmmmmm

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm.....Anybody know what the max HP and TQ the cv axles are rated at?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hitting the wall after breaking a half-shaft hardly compares to having your tranny replaced.

One is a routine repair, the other changes your life, or ends it! Ask Doug Levin, I'm pretty sure he broke his half shaft in his 7 second Vette. The vid of him hitting the wall, and his car disintegrating, is floating around somewhere. He was racing Sir Hiss, (8 second car at the time), and Doug's Vette suddenly veered right into the wall after launch. Safety loops would not have prevented this, its the applied torque to a single wheel that makes the car power steer.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traction control keeps the wheels from spinning by brakes and powering down. Not good for racing.

A good gadget for hot drag cars might be a gyroscope based ignition cutoff. If the car departed from straight line by a preset degree, the engine would shut down and the brakes would come on.
Might keep a car off the wall.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a form of mechanical traction control. There is no brake use in the Quaife differential.

I want the Quaife rear end, CV Half Shafts, and Bobby's ABS system but can not rationalize putting $14K+ into my car that I will never get out again.

Of course, if I break a half shaft at the drag strip and slam into the wall, lock up my brakes and slide into an 18wheeler, or have my rear end spin out from over powering it and spinning into another car, the money would have looked like a bargin, if I lived through it.

What do you think? Is it worth doing the three mods or are the chances of one of these things happening too small to justiy the expense?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'll just buy some Unitrax half shafts. I can spend the other $1700 on beer, hookers, lap dances and lots of other ill *****. lol