New guy cam question

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi my name is jeff I am still very new here and with my viper (red 2000 GTS) that I have only owned for 3 months.

Sofar I have changed the head unit and put the k&n performance kit on with plans to change out the exhaust for spring when I make a decision on which brand, also have a set of ebc red stuff brake pads and slotted/crossdrilled rotors to put on this winter.

My question was if I wanted to switch out my cams for the 708's do I need to purchase anything else and is it worth doing or should I wait for more upgrades and do a set of aftermarket cams?

Thanks for any help and I am looking forward to being a member here for a long time.

Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont have any good pictures of the car yet but I did find this video from a few months back before I purchased the car.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ZGSG0bXe0&feature=related[/media]

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
search for cam or 708, thers a ton of info.

there are MUCH better cams than a 708. if youre gonna go thru the trouble of swapping out a cam, might as well, install a good one. but you then need to take advantage of it with heads (coming off anyways) and a better flowing exhaust

talk to greg good, he can help you more than most on this subject. 713-290-1103

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read some of the post and have seen alot of mixed thoughts on the 708 cams, some think its a good cam to use others think that a aftermarket would be the better way to go.

My plains for upgrades are only going to be boltons no superchargers or turbos.

Next purchase is going to be an exhaust along with puting my new pads and rotors on then I was thinking of doing headers and the cams to complete the sound of the car.

So would it be worth spending the extra money for a better cam then the 708 and what else will I need.

Thanks

Jeff

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing you should learn quickly, DO NOT CLOSE THE HOOD THE WAY HE DID ON THE VIDEO! You will stress crack the hood shortly if it hasn't happened already. When you open the hood, you should reach over closer to the center of the windshield and lift up (you know your doing it right when you hurt your back). Lifting from the corner will also damage the hood. In fact ideally two people should lift up from either side. Use the search feature to find a detailed explanation on hood closure.

That being said, very nice car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read some of the post and have seen alot of mixed thoughts on the 708 cams, some think its a good cam to use others think that a aftermarket would be the better way to go.

My plains for upgrades are only going to be boltons no superchargers or turbos.

Next purchase is going to be an exhaust along with puting my new pads and rotors on then I was thinking of doing headers and the cams to complete the sound of the car.

So would it be worth spending the extra money for a better cam then the 708 and what else will I need.

Thanks

Jeff

If your doing minor mods as you have described, the 708 is the way to go. It's factory, it's relatively cheap and it works. It will give you the least tuning issues and will provide the sound your looking for. That being said, unless your doing the work yourself your going to be spending a boat load of money just for some sound improvements. Headers and cam with a tune will probably yield 40-50 hp with some loss of low end torque.

Sounds like at least $7-8 K for what you want, if you do all the work yourself. Reputable tuner will probably be between $10-15K. That's including your exhaust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing you should learn quickly, DO NOT CLOSE THE HOOD THE WAY HE DID ON THE VIDEO! You will stress crack the hood shortly if it hasn't happened already. When you open the hood, you should reach over closer to the center of the windshield and lift up (you know your doing it right when you hurt your back). Lifting from the corner will also damage the hood. In fact ideally two people should lift up from either side. Use the search feature to find a detailed explanation on hood closure.

That being said, very nice car.

I did not know there was a right and wrong way to open the hood but when I ordered my intake and pads from jonb he was nice anough to tell me about this so I was very lucky that I only opened the hood one time before speaking to jon.

Thanks I love this car, by far the best car I have ever owned.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your doing minor mods as you have described, the 708 is the way to go. It's factory, it's relatively cheap and it works. It will give you the least tuning issues and will provide the sound your looking for. That being said, unless your doing the work yourself your going to be spending a boat load of money just for some sound improvements. Headers and cam with a tune will probably yield 40-50 hp with some loss of low end torque.

Sounds like at least $7-8 K for what you want, probably more though.

Thanks for the info should have got a 99 gts lol but I could not pass on the good deal.

I was also wondering is it very hard to switch out the cams on these cars I have done it before on other cars and it was pretty easy but I have never worked on a v10 before.

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info should have got a 99 gts lol but I could not pass on the good deal.

I was also wondering is it very hard to switch out the cams on these cars I have done it before on other cars and it was pretty easy but I have never worked on a v10 before.

Nice Car and welcome, save your money on the 708 cam! Like Plum said call Greg Good he will set you straight. There is no point in removing the stock cam to install another stock cam. Do not rush it and do it right. Do the heads with a custom cam, lifters, rockers, intake, and exhaust. You will bump your power to about 600 hp -650 hp at the flywheel with a good tune. :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vipergtspa: Congrats on your GTS! If you are planning to become a member, now is a great time!
Private Message first of all your VIN# to the administrators (lee00blacksilvergts, kcobean, citysnake) to UPGRADE to Viper Owner. Then to join your regional PA VCA, call 1-800-998-1110, or go to VIPER MAGAZINE. Hope you get the help you are looking for, and don't forget to call the experts that are mentioned here. You can get a good look at Vendor Reviews here for all the vendors that can help you out. GOOD LUCK, be safe and enjoy! (No, that's not an oxymoron! ;))
~juli

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help I think for now I will just worry about getting my new exhaust then start thinking about my next mod.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sounds like at least $7-8 K for what you want, if you do all the work yourself. Reputable tuner will probably be between $10-15K. That's including your exhaust.

Maybe I own a SRT but I call BS on the price what it cost to do only those three things. Shouldn't cost no more than a 4k if you can do it all yourself. And with the exhaust and a tune at 10-15k?! are you kidding me?!