New HID FOG lights

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been alot of talk about HIDs for both GEN I/II and Gen III vipers lately. I wanted to show that you dont have to spend alot of money for a great set of HIDs. These are 150.00 bucks for a plug and play HID setup with a 1 year warranty. These are 6000K HIDs, I have a few extra if anyone wants a set just PM me.

Picture_008.jpg

Picture_0091.jpg

Picture_013.jpg

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How hard is install? Do you have to take off the bumper? Any tips for install? Is there a guide anywhere?

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, just have to turn the wheel to get to the inner wheel well. Im going to put some on another 06 this week, or early next, Ill take pictures. Very easy, takes less that 15 minutes.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting! And did you get a new car - cause that ain't yours in the pic! :D If you are using the factory housing be careful of heat, especially if you wash the car after they are on: The extreme temperature change can crack the lenses pretty quickly. Just ask our SRT8...

Cool stuff!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HIDs are supposted to run alot cooler, has anybody had their lenses melted or other problems? I know alot of gen II guys have HID lights in their fog lights.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting! And did you get a new car - cause that ain't yours in the pic! :D If you are using the factory housing be careful of heat, especially if you wash the car after they are on: The extreme temperature change can crack the lenses pretty quickly. Just ask our SRT8...

Cool stuff!

We had to use Shawns car for the picture, I got to much ice in the driveway, I hate this weather.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested but,

I put HID's in my SRT Ram a while back from a place called Blinglights.

While they worked, I also got a 'LampOut' light every time I started the truck. By turning the lights ON, the back off, the 'lampout' light would go out. I removed them because of this.

Does this happen with your HID Fogs now?

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just put these in an 06 about a week ago and haven't seen that issue. We have use this brand in 3 other cars without incident. I have not heard this problem with any other viper, are you sure you got the right replacement type bulb, the viper is 9005 for the fog lights, not sure about the truck. Also who knows, it could just be a bad unit or quality of the unit isn't up to par, its hard to tell. I was worried when I first started using these because they we inexpensive, but having used them in multiple cars for almost a year I am comfortable telling others. I cant believe some people paying 450 and up for a set, thats is a RIP OFF.

Last edited:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just put these in an 06 about a week ago and haven't seen that issue. We have use this brand in 3 other cars without incident. I have not heard this problem with any other viper, are you sure you got the right replacement type bulb, the viper is 9005 for the fog lights, not sure about the truck. Also who knows, it could just be a bad unit or quality of the unit isn't up to par, its hard to tell. I was worried when I first started using these because they we inexpensive, but having used them in multiple cars for almost a year I am comfortable telling others. I cant believe some people paying 450 and up for a set, thats is a RIP OFF.
Yeah, the kit was specific for the SRT Ram. Thing is, it also included a Black Box (Ballast?) and wiring harness to make the HID's work. It was a Plug 'n Play install except for mounting the Black Box, and worked well except for the 'LampOut' light on my dashboard.

Are you saying you simply replace the halogen bulb with an HID Type bulb? I always heard that wouldn't work, but I personally don't know. If it's working for you, I guess it does.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the kit was specific for the SRT Ram. Thing is, it also included a Black Box (Ballast?) and wiring harness to make the HID's work. It was a Plug 'n Play install except for mounting the Black Box, and worked well except for the 'LampOut' light on my dashboard.

Are you saying you simply replace the halogen bulb with an HID Type bulb? I always heard that wouldn't work, but I personally don't know. If it's working for you, I guess it does.

No, you have to have the ballast, I was just trying to figure out why you were having the problem, my only suggestion would be to type another set, you might have had a bad unit.:dunno: Was the bulb type a 9005? If so try them in you viper. If the problem continues, its more than likely the unit itself.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know what the rating is on the factory HID lights? Are they 6000K, the same as these or are they 8000K? I would definately like a set if they are the same.

Matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested but,

I put HID's in my SRT Ram a while back from a place called Blinglights.

While they worked, I also got a 'LampOut' light every time I started the truck. By turning the lights ON, the back off, the 'lampout' light would go out. I removed them because of this.

Does this happen with your HID Fogs now?

I have had the same problem in my 07 Ram! The solution is to use a relais with a seperate power circle, then it´ll work in your Ram. The Rams have no light fuses, they have a microprocessor, that is the problem.

I have xenon fog-lights for myself more then 1 year and never have problems. you can buy these kits here in germany for round about 60USD.

Fabian

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know what the rating is on the factory HID lights? Are they 6000K, the same as these or are they 8000K? I would definately like a set if they are the same.

I dont know the factory number, but the 8000k are very blue, thats why I like the 6000k. Here is another pic

Picture_014.jpg

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below is a table on the basic colors of HIDs I personally think that the most looking white light is the 6000k, Some say that there is a hint of Blue in the 6000k which I kinda agree. The 4300 are suppose to be white but I think you can see a hint of yellow in them and I would rather have a hint of blue than yellow. Hope this helps.

3000K Golden Yellow
4300K Extreme White
6000K Diamond White
8000K Iceberg Blue
10000K Brilliant Blue
12000K Deep Blue

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The OEM low beams are 4500k (most oems are in that 4200-4500 range).

I have a 4500k kit for my VIPER too, but we are having crappy weather here in the NE too, haven't had time. I got the 4500 to match the OEM. From a distance 6000k looks more purleish.

Edit- I just noticed I typed fogs originally, I meant to say oem low beams

Last edited:
OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post a pic when you get them installed, I always thought that the factory lights are yellow when compared with the factory HIDs, just my opinion. It bugs me everytime I see the reflection on the wall in the garage.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I would like to know is what are the OEM HID low beams so I can make the fogs light into HIDs to match the low beams factory HIDs?

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Post a pic when you get them installed, I always thought that the factory lights are yellow when compared with the factory HIDs, just my opinion. It bugs me everytime I see the reflection on the wall in the garage.

Yes, the oem fogs are yellow since they are halogen, I was referring to the OEM low beams being 4500k

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the fog lights are coverted to HID, do they still have the same beam pattern as a fog light? Or are the converted lights now more of a driving lightm casting light down the road farther? My guess is that they are still fog lights, as the beam pattern is determined by the reflector. At least that's my guess.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the fog lights are coverted to HID, do they still have the same beam pattern as a fog light? Or are the converted lights now more of a driving lightm casting light down the road farther? My guess is that they are still fog lights, as the beam pattern is determined by the reflector. At least that's my guess.

Too me the do provide more light but like you said, the beam isnt focused like the headlight.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That bugged me as well on both my Viper and my DD SVT Focus(Also has HID's), so I replaced my Fog Bulbs with Nokia Arctic White Bulbs (on both cars).

They are NOT as bright as HID's, but they 'match' the HID's much closer than the yellowish stock fog blulbs, and $25/pair.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey matrix...

do you have any pics of your 07 ram with the hid bulbs...i have an 07 qc and wan to put these in my truck too...maybe a more detailed explanation on how to hook them up would be great too!

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a step by step HID install with pictures

Picture_0054.jpg

The Components, you get two.

Picture_0044.jpg

Picture_0032.jpg

Picture_0022.jpg

Assembly the unit, everything is plug and play. PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE 2 PRONG PLUG ON THE BALLAST (METAL BOX), see how the connector is plugged into the unit. ********THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO PLUG THE UNIT IN **********

Picture_0062.jpg

Turn the wheel for easy access.

Picture_0081.jpg

Remove Cover

Picture_0121.jpg

Picture_0131.jpg

Remove Fog lamp, this is done with a counter clockwise turn about 15 degrees. Then unplug the Lamp from the vehicles wiring harness.

Picture_0141.jpg

Picture_0151.jpg

Using the supply 3M double sided tape, attached the ballast to the vehicle. My sure you clean the area you are attaching too.

Picture_016.jpg

Picture_017.jpg

Now plug in the HID unit to the factory wiring harness.

Picture_018.jpg

Picture_019.jpg

Remove the HID from the plastic protective case. Unscrew the unit, then you will have to break the smaller piece from the HID lamp. BE CAREFUL, I used wire cutters

Picture_020.jpg

Install the HID lamp the same way you removed the factory fog lamp.

Picture_021.jpg

Secure the wires if needed with zip ties.

Picture_022.jpg

replace cover and your done!!!!!

Picture_023.jpg

Here is a picture with the HID Fog on the drivers side, and the Factory Fog on the passenger side.

0209 CLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to install these on a GEN I besides removing the front bumper to get to the fogs? My arms aren't skinny and my fingers aren't tiny (I tried already) to fit through the foglight holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great install guide! It looks from the picture that the HID foglamps will still aim in the same area as the old fog lamps so they wont be shining in other peoples eyes, is this correct? Do you need to adjust the light after its put in, can the light be adjusted at all, or does it not even need to?

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great install guide! It looks from the picture that the HID foglamps will still aim in the same area as the old fog lamps so they wont be shining in other peoples eyes, is this correct? Do you need to adjust the light after its put in, can the light be adjusted at all, or does it not even need to?

I never looked for adjustment, the replacements always just fit extremely well so I just put them in, and they shine were the factory one did, as you can see. I have put in 5 sets now and none needed adjustment. ( one 03, an 05, and three 06s).

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to install these on a GEN I besides removing the front bumper to get to the fogs? My arms aren't skinny and my fingers aren't tiny (I tried already) to fit through the foglight holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Im not sure have not done a GEN I and II but I think Im going to shortly, the weather it 10 degrees with snow covered side roads. Ill do another guide and hopefully it will be replaceing both headlights and fog lights on the GEN 2 and GEN 1.