New Issue: over sharp bumps sounds ike something is hitting rear window

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I have stiffened up my rear suspension, over very sharp little bumps I am getting a loud noise from what sounds like the passenger rear interior corner of the car. It sounds like a piece of metal hitting the rear window but an inspection while standing still shows nothing that could reach the window. Any chance it is something in the latch? I am going to try having my girlfriend watch while I make it happen, but I do not think anything is moving enough back there for her to see anything. Ideas? Picture hitting the rear window with a ball peen hammer real quick and that is what it sounds like. The rear window seal is a bit tired, but it is whole with no breaks or holes in it.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe something in your speaker assembly in the very rear of the car? May be a loose woofer back there?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really though. Inspect all of the epoxied parts to the glass like the latch and hinge brackets. Just have the GF stand to the side.

That exactly what it sounds like. Check the long black metal strip that the hinges attach to on the window, check for separation at the edges from the glass. I had this problem when I got my GTS. Was actually going for a "spin" with a lesser muscle car, and ended up hitting a slight dip in the road while at "speed." When the car hit the dip the window lifted up just enough for the wind to catch it and up went the window, almost completely off! It was almost a disaster, but fortunately it held together. I managed to fix it with a couple pieces of flat board, Gorilla Glue, and lots of clamps. A slight PITA but much better off than spending $1100 on a new window. Fixing it only cost me about $50.

If that turns out to be the problem, let me know and I'll post pics of how I fixed mine.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That exactly what it sounds like. Check the long black metal strip that the hinges attach to on the window, check for separation at the edges from the glass. I had this problem when I got my GTS. Was actually going for a "spin" with a lesser muscle car, and ended up hitting a slight dip in the road while at "speed." When the car hit the dip the window lifted up just enough for the wind to catch it and up went the window, almost completely off! It was almost a disaster, but fortunately it held together. I managed to fix it with a couple pieces of flat board, Gorilla Glue, and lots of clamps. A slight PITA but much better off than spending $1100 on a new window. Fixing it only cost me about $50.

If that turns out to be the problem, let me know and I'll post pics of how I fixed mine.

I have that problem, post pics please!:)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is gonna sound strange but, check the rear sway bars and make sure they are secured properly.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a simliar sound comming from the same area. It ended up being the weather strip that seals the glass to the back of the car. On my car the catch on the glass would bottom out on the latch and make the sound. :cool:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back when my car actually ran...when getting up to speeds over 100mph..I would get that loud "something hitting the back glass" sound as well.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a simliar sound comming from the same area. It ended up being the weather strip that seals the glass to the back of the car. On my car the catch on the glass would bottom out on the latch and make the sound. :cool:
Now that I have some miles on the upgraded rear shocks the rear has smoothed out and it is making the sound, but your description seems to be the most plausible as my hatch glass seal is pretty tired. I'll try stuffing some foam in the latch area then go over some sharp bumps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi