New Owner--98 Viper GTS---998 Recall

Legend1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Owner--98 Viper GTS---998 Recall
Hello..I am a new owner of a 1998 Viper GTS and called the local dealer to check if they had any maintenance records on my car. No records but did find that a
recall had not be performed, #998 which after investigating shows to be an extensive inspection and possible welding and bracket installations. This is where my
worry comes in as I just don't want any body guy welding on my car...with that said I am looking for an experienced dealer for Vipers in the Atlanta area to do the inspection and repairs. Please email any suggestions to my email at [email protected]
I love my car and really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks...John Temple:)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hello, John...congrats on your new Viper ! You are absolutely correct in approaching this recall with caution. There have been many performed poorly in the past. Frankly, there are very few places around that experienced Viper owners would recommend today for this repair. I would suggest that you call Tom Sessions in NC for recommendations. 910-228-8477

OP
OP
L

Legend1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you guys...this has been making me very nervous. John

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, the 998 recall was far more involved than what I originally though. Thanks for the link Plum.

Been around quite a few cars that the filter wouldn't come out after the recall. Nothing worse than standing there with an oil filter in your hand leaking with no exit strategy.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, the 998 recall was far more involved than what I originally though. Thanks for the link Plum.

Been around quite a few cars that the filter wouldn't come out after the recall. Nothing worse than standing there with an oil filter in your hand leaking with no exit strategy.
There is an exit strategy, after you turn it sideways and dump oil all over the floor you slide it across the the frame to the drivers side and pull it out by the power steering pump.It is a tight fit but it will come out lol

I may have the gusset trimmed or get the recall re-done. Haven't decided yet.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an exit strategy, after you turn it sideways and dump oil all over the floor you slide it across the the frame to the drivers side and pull it out by the power steering pump.It is a tight fit but it will come out lol

I may have the gusset trimmed or get the recall re-done. Haven't decided yet.

Glad you had one, I think i had to run the one I was doing all the way to the back past transmission. It was on a 96 RT/10.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you had one, I think i had to run the one I was doing all the way to the back past transmission. It was on a 96 RT/10.
I actually looked up a thread on the Alley I think while my husband was cursing in epic proportions...It's funny now but I thought he was going to burn the car to the ground lol

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There are several experienced techs who have fixed botched 998 and 999 recalls very successfully. For the eastern part of the US, I would recommend Tom Sessions or Chuck Tator. I have watched/helped Tom do several primary recalls as well as correct several botched recalls...which are no joke to fix properly. There can be more that defines a botched recall than just the reversed steering rack plates that block oil filter access. This includes frame damage, fried brake lines ( yes Mr. Welder, a brake line is shiny and metal, but should not be used as a ground for your welder!!!), and incomplete fixation of the differential bracket on a 998 recall. While these repairs have been covered by Chrysler in the past, I am not certain if the kits are still available. Sadly, there seems to be fewer and fewer experienced pro's left in authorized dealerships who are able to take on this type of procedure. Experience and judgement are key !!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several experienced techs who have fixed botched 998 and 999 recalls very successfully. For the eastern part of the US, I would recommend Tom Sessions or Chuck Tator. I have watched/helped Tom do several primary recalls as well as correct several botched recalls...which are no joke to fix properly. There can be more that defines a botched recall than just the reversed steering rack plates that block oil filter access. This includes frame damage, fried brake lines ( yes Mr. Welder, a brake line is shiny and metal, but should not be used as a ground for your welder!!!), and incomplete fixation of the differential bracket on a 998 recall. While these repairs have been covered by Chrysler in the past, I am not certain if the kits are still available. Sadly, there seems to be fewer and fewer experienced pro's left in authorized dealerships who are able to take on this type of procedure. Experience and judgement are key !!
Anyone near St. Louis Mo that you know of? I was told Royal Gate but didn't get a good feel...

OP
OP
L

Legend1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Tom Sessions at length about my Viper...what a great guy. He took the time to explain Viper issues to look for and gave me some tips on local dealers. No luck with anyone in the ATL so I will end up finding a way to get it to Tom. It will be worth the travel to know the car will be right.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my 99 to Woodhouse all the way from NJ, it was worth it, looked better than factory work, awesome welds and rivets.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Legend1, you are correct ! Glad to hear that you connected with Tom. Sadly, some will keep fishing for a nearby, convenient solution...I wish them luck.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know we have done well over 200+ of these recalls as we actually helped do a training session for Dodge in KC many years ago. End result for all the Midwestern mechanics after the school was , " Oh heck , just send it to Woodhouse, ha!" Sybil , sure sounds like you had one of the incorrectly done recalls, sorry for the hassles. You might try calling Mark Jorgensen at 1-800-889-1893 on Tuesday ( he is taking a very rare break from work to be with his family and I am glad ) , as I know we have done some corrections on the recall, though it is a bit tedious to get Dodge to reopen. He would likely know the current status and give you an indication if it can still be redone?

otterbeinjumper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone near St. Louis Mo that you know of? I was told Royal Gate but didn't get a good feel...

I used Royal Gate for the recall last month on my 98 GTS. They didn't leave me very confident when speaking with service writers, but I spoke with one of the Viper techs who gave me a reasonable level of comfort, so I went ahead with it rather than trailer to Roanoke.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Royal Gate for the recall last month on my 98 GTS. They didn't leave me very confident when speaking with service writers, but I spoke with one of the Viper techs who gave me a reasonable level of comfort, so I went ahead with it rather than trailer to Roanoke.
Was it just a recall or a re-do of the recall? Do you remember the Viper techs name?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Otterbeinjumper, the question is easily answered...look under your Viper yourself to see if one has easy, direct access to the oil filter...or...is it blocked from below by a triangular plate riveted in the wrong location?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang