New owner, First question. ACR's

Scott5ppg

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New owner, First question. ACR\'s

New owner, first question! Just purchased a 2001 GTS ACR, 5K miles from Palmer Dodge in Ga. Think I got a great deal on a beautiful Viper. BTW she has 6K miles now, what a joy to drive… I’ve done a bunch of reading on the ACR but only find bits of info in different places. These are the bits and pieces I’ve found, are these true and/or are there more differences?

2001 Viper American Club Racer (ACR) Model an additional $10,000.00
o Homologated for club racing
o Smooth intake tubes and K&N air filters (Rated at 460 HP)
o Special ACR Badging and decals
o Black interior only
o 5 point racing harnesses with ACR Logo
o 18" BBS Wheels
o Koni Adjustable Shocks, Dynamic Suspensions adjustable mono-tube shock
absorbers,
o Different Springs, 500 lb/in F and 1100 lb/in at midyear
o Delete Fog lights, Radio (and antenna booster) and A/C
o 10 qt performance oil pan, larger & baffled oil pan
o New nameplate???
o Different oil filter adapter: Increases oil pressure 10PSI & provides
maximum oil cooling which is done at the expense of AC performance.
o The ACR engine had a different part number than the GTS and came with
forged pistons.
o Optional comfort group option an additional $950.00
 Add Radio (and antenna booster)
 Add A/C

Thanks in advance for your help in answering my lengthy question.

Scott, Pensacola, FL

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New owner, First question. ACR\'s

From what I see:

The new nameplate should be a badge on the center console and the "ACR" that is on the sides of the hood.

To my knowledge the engine is no different, so the 2000 and up models will have cast pistons.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I suppose you realize just how rare ACRs are. They were only 819 built from 99 - 02. Breakdown: 99=215, 2000=218, 2001=227, 2002=159 (only 2001/2002 had ABS). If you go to the Home page and click the left side, go to Viper registry and then build info - its all there. Congrats on a low mile ACR - sure to be a collector item!!! Take good care of her and yourself. Enjoy.

What color combo is yours??????

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1) No forged pistons except 1999
2) Koni shocks were only available through March 2000
3) No special oil pan or baffling

If you haven't done it yet, get all the fluids replaced.
oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, rear diff. Use factory fluids as per the owners manual. Enjoy your awesome ride.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not going to look again till spring now, but I could swear I saw Konis on our 2001 ACR when I had it in the air this fall after purchase.

From the build info, I see 89 yellow 01 ACRs. Does anybody know how to find out how many were striped?

Steve

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This from another ebay, ACR add;

This auction is for a gorgeous 2001 Dodge Viper GTS ACR (American Club Racer) Edition, finished in Yellow with Black interior, no stripes, gorgeous throughout. The ACR benefits from lighter BBS Wheels, 10 extra HP with the help of a K&N air filter,Koni adjustable suspension, and 5 Point Harnesses to keep you snug in your seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ebay 2001 ACR

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not going to look again till spring now, but I could swear I saw Konis on our 2001 ACR when I had it in the air this fall after purchase.

From the build info, I see 89 yellow 01 ACRs. Does anybody know how to find out how many were striped?

Steve

Of the 89 2001 Yellow ACRs, 38 were monotone, 51 had stripes. Of course there are always imposters, like me who have one of the 38 monotone cars with aftermarket stripes. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(If you put your mouse over the "89" on the build info page, you get a little box that shows you the break-down.)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Of the 89 2001 Yellow ACRs, 38 were monotone, 51 had stripes. Of course there are always imposters, like me who have one of the 38 monotone cars with aftermarket stripes.

(If you put your mouse over the "89" on the build info page, you get a little box that shows you the break-down.)

Thanks for the tip Kelly. This computer must have some extra pop up stuff turned on preventing the box from showing, but my work computer shows the box.

Steve

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1) No forged pistons except 1999
3) No special oil pan or baffling

If you haven't done it yet, get all the fluids replaced.
oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, rear diff. Use factory fluids as per the owners manual. Enjoy your awesome ride.

The forged pistons comment is incorrect. ALL Vipers earlier than 2000 had forged pistons.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome and congrats.
Enjoy the ride.
Besides the 10 extra HP the ACR also has 10 extra pounds of torque.
The suspension is also fully adjustable.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where there any FE ACR's built in '02?

Yes, more of them then the 1 of 22 Graphite ACR color combo of 2002.

Couple of other things, and clarity

ACRs come with 10 tq and 10 hp increase as stated on the papers, but you will find when it comes to dyno'ing it doesnt really show up, matter of fact, 2000-2002 are the WEAKEST hp numbers on average, vs the earlier gen 2 cars.

ACR's have Koni's before some mid point in 2000 and Dynamic suspension from that mid year after. I have seen 2000s with both Dynamics and Konis, so I am positive thats the year of the switch over. I have NEVER seen an 01 with Koni, ONLY Dynamic Suspension.

Also the comfort group was a 1100 option, per my sticker.

Also keep in mind with a comfort group add back, you do NOT get fog lights or even the fog light relays. So if you want those, you have to add both back on your own.

Koni shocks rattle, Racing Dynamics leak. Seems they couldnt quite get it right.

ACRs over-all weigh the SAME amount as GTS, because while we saved weight on our wheels, we gained the weight back with the shocks (with resevours 01/02s) and the 5 point harnesses. So the only way an ACR is actually LIGHTER then any other gen 2, is if it did NOT get the comfort group added back in.

Oh, and ACRs come with their own special booklet on the shocks, and they also come with their own special tool for adjusting those shocks. Make sure you have it, its a gold looking tool.

Jon

PS. I'd argue to say I probably know more about ACRs then most other folks. I also have personally modified and driven mine for over 59,000 miles. So I know them in and out :)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually my forged piston comment is correct as this post was in reference to ACR's.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, in order to be a true ACR you need to dump the AC and Radio ;)

Over the years I have documented about 250 of the 819, I am actually surprised I dont see more around for sale but I have to imagine quite a few have been wrecked. Congrats on the car, you dontsee many Vipers..the ACR's are cool!

OP
OP
S

Scott5ppg

Viper Owner
Reaction score

So you're saying they are Dynamic Suspensions adjustable mono-tube shock
absorbers not Koni Adjustable Shocks,

No 10 qt performance oil pan and not baffled

Yes on the different oil filter adapter which increases oil pressure 10PSI & provides maximum oil cooling.

No one the ACR's having forged pistons. 2001's

Optional comfort group option is an additional $1100.00 not 950.00.

Thanks for the clearifications

Just got my Valentine One and toasted my first Mustang GT, didn't even get out of 3rd before he got smaller and smaller, smile...

Can't figure out how to do the Pic's yet, I'll keep working on trying to post pics

Scott

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

99 ACRS can would be forged piston 2000-2002 would NOT be forged. So not all ACRS are forged, only 99s

The acrs for each of their years had the exact same oil pan as their NON ACR counterparts for each of those years. No Viper gen 2 ever came with baffled oil pans.

And yes, the comfortgroup add back is 1100.00 on the stickers.

FYI, I have an ORIGINAL 2002 INVOICE STICKER in a frame. Highest bidder can have it :laugh:

Jon

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, in order to be a true ACR you need to dump the AC and Radio ;)

Great point brought up here! The ACR true heritage as a street/track performance Viper was to omit the Comfort Group....Hard to imagine only
38 Vipers were manufactured true to their design/purpose. Glad I was
fortunate to obtain one of these "Rare ACR's" (99 Silver/Blue) :2tu:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes on the different oil filter adapter which increases oil pressure 10PSI & provides maximum oil cooling.

Just got my Valentine One and toasted my first Mustang GT, didn't even get out of 3rd before he got smaller and smaller, smile...

Can't figure out how to do the Pic's yet, I'll keep working on trying to post pics

Scott

I hadn't seen the 10 PSI increase on the oil filter adapter. My understanding of the difference is that because the oil cooler sits in front of the A/C coil, the non-ACR adapter closes at low RPMs (speeds) to prevent hot oil from flowing through the oil-cooler and "pre-heating" the air flow over the A/C coil when there is little airflow to work with. Since the ACR in true form does not have A/C, and is supposed to be "track ready", the adapter never closes, so it provides constant oil cooling. As a result, A/C effectiveness in your ACR may not be quite as good as in a GTS while driving at low speeds. My car blows cold even sitting in traffic though, so I've not seen it being an issue.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott

I hadn't seen the 10 PSI increase on the oil filter adapter. My understanding of the difference is that because the oil cooler sits in front of the A/C coil, the non-ACR adapter closes at low RPMs (speeds) to prevent hot oil from flowing through the oil-cooler and "pre-heating" the air flow over the A/C coil when there is little airflow to work with. Since the ACR in true form does not have A/C, and is supposed to be "track ready", the adapter never closes, so it provides constant oil cooling. As a result, A/C effectiveness in your ACR may not be quite as good as in a GTS while driving at low speeds. My car blows cold even sitting in traffic though, so I've not seen it being an issue.

You got most of it correct. but he is right, there is typically 10 lbs increase in oil pressue on the TRACK when you beat the crap outta a gts and you beat the crap outta a acr. The oil stays cooler and therefore it stays thicker and keeps a higher viscosity. Beat the crap outta 2 cars on track, acr and gts, have them sit at idle after they get off track, the acr has usually 10 lbs higher oil pressure. I have seen this myself.

And yes, on a hot day, slow moving and sometimes even really hot highway days, acrs a/c is NOT as good as a gts's due to the fact that the oil cooler hinders its efficiency.

Jon

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh, and ACRs come with their own special booklet on the shocks, and they also come with their own special tool for adjusting those shocks. Make sure you have it, its a gold looking tool.

...didn't get the book or the tool. Any idea where to aquire these things? I must have the Dynamic Suspension in our 01

Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte