New Recall Information - Headlamp Flickering - Straight from the source!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Headlamp flickering update / Cooling fan module customer satisfaction notice!

I have some more information from our friends at PVO on the Viper SRT-10 headlamp flickering issue (see the 10/1/03 posting) -- along with some new information about a Customer Satisfaction Notification to replace cooling fan modules on some 2003 Viper SRT-10s...

Next week, 2003 Viper SRT-10 owners will receive a safety recall notice for the intermittent headlamp flickering, as DaimlerChrysler has found that the condition, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2003 model year Dodge Viper SRT-10s. Specifically, the multifunction switch parking light contacts on your vehicle may cause the headlights, parking lights and/or instrument panel lights to flicker or become inoperative. To resolve the concern, the dealer will reprogram the vehicle's Body Control Module.

In addition, DaimlerChrysler has found that the check ball retainer in the cooling fan module may become dislodged on some 2003 Viper SRT-10s (built before 7/28/03). This could result in reduced cooling fan operation, and ultimately in an engine overheating condition. Thus, owners of the vehicles in question will be asked to contact their dealer to have the cooling fan module replaced. If the check ball retainer is missing from the cooling fan module, the dealer will also replace the steering gear assembly, power steering pump and power steering cooler.

Once you receive your notification, contact your dealer to schedule your service appointment. Both of these concerns can be addressed during the same service appointment.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Recall Information - Straight from the source!

Thanks Joe.
I'm due for an oilchange. Will get everything done at once. Will this also address the "bog" issue, or should I request that the engine management software be updated as well.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Bog is not addressed in these recalls, nor is it mentioned as a pending issue to be addressed. Suggest you have your tech troubleshoot this when it's at the shop.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TSB 18-035-03 HESITATION ON THROTTLE TIP-IN AFTER PROLONGED CLOSED THROTTLE

Joe, had this done yesterday and the bog is gone. The dealership knew nothing about it. I had to provide them with the TSB# and they pulled it up (with looks of surprise) Strange that this flicker problem is official, but the bog isn't? Not even a 'pending issue to be addressed'? All the dealer could tell me is that the interior lights had a recall.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

......In addition, DaimlerChrysler has found that the check ball retainer in the cooling fan module may become dislodged on some 2003 Viper SRT-10s (built before 7/28/03). This could result in reduced cooling fan operation, and ultimately in an engine overheating condition. Thus, owners of the vehicles in question will be asked to contact their dealer to have the cooling fan module replaced. If the check ball retainer is missing from the cooling fan module, the dealer will also replace the steering gear assembly, power steering pump and power steering cooler.

Joe, most dealers just got the info on this potentially MAJOR issue today, 12/3.
{major if check-ball went missing) Check your MDH build date (7/27 and before) to see if you may be affected...about 1400 cars. Parts WILL likely be in short supply initially.

JonB

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does this mean the check ball may be in the cooling/steering system if it came loose or does it just fall off the car? A picture of what to look for would be nice, that way I can check before taking it to the dealer.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure about the parts issue. Given the timing I would think many northern Vipers are hibernating and won't attempt fixes until spring. I know I am in that category.

I just made my fall visit to the dealer the week before Thanksgiving. Recalls were not yet available, bog fix not possible (computers were down), and an oil pan leak not corrected due to a broken replacement gasket (even though it was pre-ordered prior to the visit). I know, yada, yada, yada. But a day of vacation and full day wasted to accomplish relatively little is not my idea of a day well spent.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have read virtually nothing about the cooling system recall. Can someone explain what the issues are and how it would affect the steering system?

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

any srt-10 owners are more than welcome to e-mail me at [email protected] with your e-mail info and i will be happy to e-mail you a copy of the recall so you can see what we have to do/it is an adobe pdf file and is 23 pages. but if you want it, you got it. there crude illustrations included which may give some better insight as to what dmc is talking about.

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

12-17 and still no notice from Dodge on any of the recalls...

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This issue is more serious than the way the recall has been handled might indicate.

A friend of mine has an SRT10 that is affected. One night - his headlights not only flickered - THEY WENT OUT at speed with his son in the car :eek: :eek: :eek: , and although they came on again after flicking the switch back and forth - that could have been FATAL! He could not see a thing and had to virtually stop while an oncoming rig blasted him with full beam - thinking he was getting abused by the flicking on and off.

This fault is exceedingly dangerous - make no mistake!

If this kills someone - there will be a lawsuit as big as Texas - and rightly so. To date, the person affected has not been contacted about this recall - he only knows because of this thread.

We are getting it seen to by a dealership after the car upgrades are completed - but I wonder if this is the only SRT10 that had headlights flicker off while driving.... that is inexcusable - there is no defense it just has to be fixed.

Even cheap Korean cars have headlights that last many years without a single heart stopping moment.

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

FYI, I am in California and received the official recall notice 1-2 weeks ago from DC. The first recal from is 'Reprogramming your body control module' and the 2nd recall notice is to 'replace your vehicle's cooling fan module'. Please check with your local dealers to make sure they have the correct address associated with your vin #. My car goes in next week to be repaired!!

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had it with the deficiencies in the SRT-10: Intake valves, cooling fan module, headlights, WOT TSB . . . What is next ? My car will be out of my hands for at least a month as I have had to take it out of town to get experienced techs to perform the work. Not to mention the headaches of dropping the car off and getting a ride back. The $300 certificate is grossly inadequate. They certainly would not treat a Mercedes owner this way!

I love the car, but I hate the quality assurance. Seems like they rushed it into production.

The question is . . what's next ???

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love the car, but I hate the quality assurance. Seems like they rushed it into production.

The question is . . what's next ???

Answer: More of the same.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now, if only they could combine DC's balls with Lexus quality, that would be revolutionary.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace the whole system

Figure I would add some not-so-well-known info on this cooling recall. There is one scenario for this recall that if you had the steering module replaced before (I did, since I think I'm the person who started this recall), you must have the entire steering system replaced as a pin would have been dislodged into the system. So, new rack, new steering pump, anything that could hold steering fluid, replaced. This is nowhere near as bad as the valve issue, but if I had the valve issue and this I would be pretty livid. As it is, I'm not too mad, that's the risk of getting one of the first cars, and not like i really NEED it. I bet I still have better drivability than any ferrari...

But I agree, on the Lexus quality question. But I have to add, Mercedes owners are treated WAY better, why can't that apply to Viper owners? I know, its a dodge not a MB.

GregSRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nothing received to date from DC, but I've experienced the headlight anomoly (yikes!) and what may be the reported rattle--not sure where it is coming from, but sounds high pitched metallic (I thought it sounded like a loose heat shield on the exhaust).