New Throttle Body

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the RSI throttle body on my 04 SRT and it looks good as well as the 10ish HP is noticeable. It now surges from 1600rpm to 800rpm a few times then back to 1100rpm where it is idling at when I push the clutch in as I am waiting to go, same as if clutch out and not in gear.

I tried the computer rest and the PCM disconnect for 15 minutes (a post I found at RT-GTS forum) but to come up with nothing. I have put on 150 miles so far with about 10-15 times of turning off the car as well. :confused:

OP
OP
V

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O it shouldn't do that. They said that they would send a new one but I don't see how thats going to solve it. I think that its a computer issue.?

OP
OP
V

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after about 450 miles the surging seems to be gone but it wants to idle at 1500 rpm but it seems to be getting better to about 1100 rpm. Is there anyway to adjust the idel? (besides the one screw)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change your spark plugs to Autolite XP985 and you will not believe the difference! Be sure to disconnect the negitive battery post, 10 mm socket, and leave it off for a few minutes so that the computer is reset. This made a whole world of difference on my viper. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE NEGITIVE BATTERY BECOUSE WHEN YOU REATTACH THE BATTERY CABLE THE WHOLE SYSTEM GOES INTO ANTI-THEIF MODE AND SHUTS DOWN. JUST OPEN THE DOOR WITH YOUR KEY, UNDER THE SIDE SCOOPS ON THE DRIVER DOOR IS A KEY LOCK, AND GET IN AND START THE CAR AND LET IDLE FOR 10 MIN AND EVERYTHING WILL WORK AS IT DID BEFORE

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if that is not enough I overheard Atro telling someone that Autolite plugs improved his sex life three fold. Just remember to disconnect your electric blanket first.

Autolite plugs. They are the Vegematic of the 21st century!

OP
OP
V

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already changed to the XP985 before the TB. Talked to RSI and they are sending out a new TB.

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, did the new TB solve the issue? I'm getting ready to buy one of these RSI TB's and don't need any issues...

OP
OP
V

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it did.The car now ideals back down at 900 rpm. It did surge from the 900 to 1300 a few times but with time (a few times of driving) it went away. It seems to really help im prove with the throttle response.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your idle should be 750 rpm... if it is higher, you've got too much airflow through the throttle body, and the computer can't compensate by adjusting the IAC valve.

I bet you'd find that the IAC bypass is completely shut, but you've still got too much air through the new throttle.

You'll need to close down the throttle body until the bypass starts to flow some air... That way the computer can control idle for you.

If you disconnect the bypass hose and cork it, you should be barely running with the minimum airflow through the closed throttle. (Say 400-450rpm), then once you uncork and reattach the bypass feed hose the computer will adjust the idle air through the bypass and give you back your 750rpm base idle.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will a different TB on an otherwise stock 04 make any real difference? I thought one had to have other mods before one would see any change :confused:

OP
OP
V

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadrunner thanks, that seems to do the trick for now, but only time will tell.
Kelly 06 I have the K&Ns, Corsa exhaust, Autolite plugs, and 3.55s. All where done at different times so I do notice a difference from each mod, better response off the line and 3300 rpm to 5000 rpm is just AWESOME!

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just cycling the ignition key a few times will allow the controller to learn the new throttle blade "minimum" position. So if this helped your car it will only get better at this point, not worse.