New Tires For SRT10 Convertible

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need new tires (badly.) My tires are worn to the point that they will be racing slicks in a few thousand miles. Do any of you have suggestions? I hear Tire Rack mentioned often. What is the "cheapest" tire I can put on my car? I don't race the car, I just "drive" it pretty much as a daily driver (unless it's raining or snowing.) Is it the stock tire or some other better/cheaper tire available? I have not even looked yet but I assume that not many people make tires that even fit the Viper. Suggestions? :dunno: Thanks.

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Kumho XS on my car and love them. JonB @ Parts Rack can hook you up with a good deal on a set. Given the size of the wheels on these cars....expect to pay $1,000+ for any set of tires you buy regardless of quality. However, my Kumho's are very driver friendly and sticky enough to be fun. I can't remember the exact price but I believe between $1,200 & $1,300 for a full set. Call JonB and let him price you a set, he's about the best game in town.:2tu:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should get good advice soon. Viper owners go thru tires like hookers go thru condoms. So many have tried different combos.

I'll need to do tires this year, my big decision is to go runflat(with the new PS2) or non runflat (lighter, softer sidewall, etc).

Dave.

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy a set of kumhos or nittos. like $1,300 for the full set.

If you dont race and just street drive i have a set of runflats i'll give you for $400. the fronts are in good shape but the rears dont have too much thread. they street grip fine but dont grip 1st gear or half of second at all.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need new tires (badly.) My tires are worn to the point that they will be racing slicks in a few thousand miles. Do any of you have suggestions? I hear Tire Rack mentioned often. What is the "cheapest" tire I can put on my car? I don't race the car, I just "drive" it pretty much as a daily driver (unless it's raining or snowing.) Is it the stock tire or some other better/cheaper tire available? I have not even looked yet but I assume that not many people make tires that even fit the Viper. Suggestions? :dunno: Thanks.

You're in luck, there are a couple of tire specials going on in the Supplier Section:

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...invo-nt555-neogen-nt555r-all-models-sale.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...17-srt10-tires-4-new-kumhos-under-1275-a.html

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack and I have done extensive research and found the Michelin PS2's to be the very best replacement tire for a gen 3 Viper. And JonB at parts rack sell them at the best price. They are not however runflats..So you might want to carry a tire repair kit.

:drive: There is a rumor that Michelin may make a version of the ZR1 tire for the Viper. Same tire but with ZP ( Zero Pressure [run flat] capability). I know they already make this for the C6 Vette..

:dunno: I don't know, It just sells itself !!!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of run flat front tires for the 04 Viper but, checking the date 42/03 not sure how safe they are but, still look almost new.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I need new tires (badly.) My tires are worn to the point that they will be racing slicks in a few thousand miles. Do any of you have suggestions? I hear Tire Rack mentioned often. What is the "cheapest" tire I can put on my car? I don't race the car, I just "drive" it pretty much as a daily driver (unless it's raining or snowing.) Is it the stock tire or some other better/cheaper tire available? I have not even looked yet but I assume that not many people make tires that even fit the Viper. Suggestions? Thanks.

Jeremy, PartsRack is a proud sponsor of the VA-MD VCA and we would be happy to send you a full set of brand-new-date tires, safe and sticky, under $1275 delivered.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JeremyS, most everybody out there sells tires for Vipers and Vettes, from the online guys to your local guys. I have used both Michilins and now Kumohos and I have to say that the Kumos are very impressive and every bit as good at a lesser price. If your just looking for a great price along with a really good tire, go with the Kumos. But don't buy them from the first dealer you talk to if your looking for a good deal. I bought a set of 4 Kumos from a National dealer here locally and saved a bunch of money over the Online guys :D. Good luck and have fun shoping :2tu: p.s remember to ask for Date of Manufacture to get the freshest tire for your hotrod ;)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy, PartsRack is a proud sponsor of the VA-MD VCA and we would be happy to send you a full set of brand-new-date tires, safe and sticky, under $1275 delivered.

Umm, is it me, or is $1275 delivered, like a frickin-good price?! What tires are these, Jon?

Dave.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NITTO's ****! The Kumho's are a very good tire for the money, about $1250- from JonB at the parts rack. You won't be sorry.

hdscreens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if I just need rear tires for a stock gen 3. What do the Kumhos cost w/shipping to 78224?

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that you want to mix stock (front) and Kumho (rear) tires. This has been discussed a few times on here and it is not a good idea.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Umm, is it me, or is $1275 delivered, like a frickin-good price?! What tires are these, Jon? Dave.

EXACTLY !!
Dave, these are the same tires that PartsRack first debuted on VCA site a few weeks ago.
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...17-srt10-tires-4-new-kumhos-under-1275-a.html

The Kumho XS tires, from $759/set 92-98 .....to $1229/set SRT10. NO SALES TAX. No Disposal Fees; s/h about $50/set USA. WE STOCK THEM.

Shop 3-5 locals? What is your time worth? No stock? No knowledge? Worse: WRONG ADVICE + Sales taxes. Local stores have sold guys here ALL-SEASON TIRES !!!

Others (without pix) claim they bought for less, but I remain skeptical. Why? Local tire guys DONT carry Viper sizes. They have to be special-ordered. FACT. They dont KNOW about Viper fit, wheel options and treads. FACT. And the TRUTH of the above 'example' is the poster admitted he SNOOPED AND LEARNED ABOUT THE TIRES HERE, from your VCA vendors, and (supposedly) special-ordered them locally and saved $10!! His local guy was CLUELESS. [But no pix of em on his car, as he demands from others.] Weighh Sales tax vs Mt balance vs $50 s/h and TIME and ACCURACY and we still think that your best tire bet is HERE.

Oh......THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING your VCA Vendors....

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What if I just need rear tires..... What do the Kumhos cost

They could cost you your car, and maybe your life. DONT MIS-MATCH TIRES! In an emergency, they dont perform uniformly on a race car for the street.

DONT DO THIS.....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheapest may not be cheapest.

Good chance you will get lots more miles from new Pilots.

Give Jon a call. Tell him what you are looking for, then take his advice.

I can count the number of people on this forum that have claimed Jon has given them bad Viper advice on one hand, while the number of people that have greatly benefited from his guidance is legend.

I believe the Pilots will give the best all around results for the average street driving owner.

I also think that Jon is giving you a screaming good deal on the Kumhos. (but you also gotta figure out miles per dollar, not just dollars per tire.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a set of Invo's installed for $1360 OTD (tax, installation, lifetime mount and balance) from Discount Tire. I will post my impressions after next week. I will be taking it to Houston for TX2K9, and will have lots of miles to compare with the PS2's that I just got rid of after 12,000 miles. Seems the Invo's would work for me as an "everyday" type of tire.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to run som MT drag radials DOT approved on the rears but, no sure what to run on the front. Any Ideas? I have piolt sport cups now.

They could cost you your car, and maybe your life. DONT MIS-MATCH TIRES! In an emergency, they dont perform uniformly on a race car for the street.

DONT DO THIS.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am going to run som MT drag radials DOT approved on the rears but, no sure what to run on the front. Any Ideas? I have piolt sport cups now.

CANYON, ole buddy.......

'DOT rated' does not mean they are a wise choice for a stiff-chassied race car for the street. They are designed for STRAIGHT-LINE performance in short bursts, not high-g cornering as our Vipers can perform with ease.

These tires can probably be safely driven to-from the DRAG STRIP, if while doing this, you are VERY CAREFUL on entrance/exit cloverleaf-style ramps. These DRAG RADIAL sidewalls are meant to GIVE and FLEX. In heavy-hard cornering (or in an evasive emergency) these sidewalls can give way too much, and dangerously. They can get down right squirrely. Evasive maneuvers happen when you are NOT expecting them...thats when you can get bit.

I have had users complain (on this very board) of the scary flexing while making sudden lane changes as well.

IF YOU INSIST on daily-driving them, dont OVERDRIVE their cornering abilities, and DO keep them pumped up higher PSI than you would for dragging..... Because you asked: if you want a twitchier (and mis-matched) front tire to match this twitchy handling, maybe use a BFG-KDW2 ?

GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NITTO's ****! The Kumho's are a very good tire for the money, about $1250- from JonB at the parts rack. You won't be sorry.

I have the Nitto Invos and they far from ****. I'm impressed with them and have absolutely no complaints. No more wheel hop, though I did install the KW's at the same time.

Next time I will go with another brand for comparison purpose only.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, that is the perfect answer I was looking for. I am not going to use them for street driving. I thought they might not be suited for that but, I wasn't sure. I will probably drive them to the strip and home... I will put a few extra pounds in the to stiffen them somefor that ride. I like the ole buddy part.
Thanks again for the answer Jon.

CANYON, ole buddy.......

'DOT rated' does not mean they are a wise choice for a stiff-chassied race car for the street. They are designed for STRAIGHT-LINE performance in short bursts, not high-g cornering as our Vipers can perform with ease.

These tires can probably be safely driven to-from the DRAG STRIP, if while doing this, you are VERY CAREFUL on entrance/exit cloverleaf-style ramps. These DRAG RADIAL sidewalls are meant to GIVE and FLEX. In heavy-hard cornering (or in an evasive emergency) these sidewalls can give way too much, and dangerously. They can get down right squirrely. Evasive maneuvers happen when you are NOT expecting them...thats when you can get bit.

I have had users complain (on this very board) of the scary flexing while making sudden lane changes as well.

IF YOU INSIST on daily-driving them, dont OVERDRIVE their cornering abilities, and DO keep them pumped up higher PSI than you would for dragging..... Because you asked: if you want a twitchier (and mis-matched) front tire to match this twitchy handling, maybe use a BFG-KDW2 ?

GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many people along with myself think the PS2's are the best for everyday street driving (non runflat) and the Michelin Pilot Sport cups are one step up and stickier but will have less treadlife and not recommended in the rain.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
EXACTLY !!
Dave, these are the same tires that PartsRack first debuted on VCA site a few weeks ago.

The Kumho XS tires, from $759/set 92-98 .....to $1229/set SRT10. NO SALES TAX. No Disposal Fees; s/h about $50/set USA. WE STOCK THEM.

Shop 3-5 locals? What is your time worth? No stock? No knowledge? Worse: WRONG ADVICE + Sales taxes. Local stores have sold guys here ALL-SEASON TIRES !!!

Others (without pix) claim they bought for less, but I remain skeptical. Why? Local tire guys DONT carry Viper sizes. They have to be special-ordered. FACT. They dont KNOW about Viper fit, wheel options and treads. FACT. And the TRUTH of the above 'example' is the poster admitted he SNOOPED AND LEARNED ABOUT THE TIRES HERE, from your VCA vendors, and (supposedly) special-ordered them locally and saved $10!! His local guy was CLUELESS. [But no pix of em on his car, as he demands from others.] Weighh Sales tax vs Mt balance vs $50 s/h and TIME and ACCURACY and we still think that your best tire bet is HERE.

Oh......THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING your VCA Vendors....
JB, You tug on the tail of a Dragon, You get burned :nono: Please refrain from your attacks and name calling JB its getting old:rolleyes: It looks like Malu59RT went to the same dealer I went to(Discount Tire)and believe me they know tons more than you about TIRES and they do carry Viper sizes :D and they are very professional and respectfull and honest! I've attached some pics for you if you can find your goggles that is :lmao:
Let me know if there are any other issues you may have so I can help you with them :2tu: Have a great day :drive:

Attachments

• S6300324.jpg
    S6300324.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14
  • S6300320.jpg
    S6300320.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 13
  • S6300321.jpg
    S6300321.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 17

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just before it gets too far, Discount has always helped me with my other cars, in doing free rotations, balances, and flat-repairs, even with cars I've never purchased tires for (i.e. new cars). I've always felt I should buy my tires from them after the way they treat me, and this deal actually is a lot easier than buying tires, shipping to the house, then finding a truck to take them to Discount for the M&B where I will do it anyway.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon, that is the perfect answer I was looking for. I am not going to use them for street driving. I thought they might not be suited for that but, I wasn't sure. I will probably drive them to the strip and home... I will put a few extra pounds in the to stiffen them somefor that ride. I like the ole buddy part.
Thanks again for the answer Jon.

Answers R Us! Glad to help.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just before it gets too far, Discount has always helped me with my other cars, in doing free rotations, balances, and flat-repairs, even with cars I've never purchased tires for (i.e. new cars). I've always felt I should buy my tires from them after the way they treat me, and this deal actually is a lot easier than buying tires, shipping to the house, then finding a truck to take them to Discount for the M&B where I will do it anyway.
I share your same thoughts :) :2tu: to Ron, Chris and the guys here as well as the guys at the Discount Tires store near Dallas when a nail found it's way into the rental car tire we used to go for the pre-inspection of my Viper when I bought it. Excellent customer service. My GF loves the wheels and tires I bought her from them too, points points points :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang