New Viper is huge letdown

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it seem like only half/portion of the availible space for airflow is used on the hood intake? Watch the slow speed drving video too. Looks very unfinished.... even the internals are off center...

2013-SRT-Viper-front-end-2.jpg

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me from the side it looks alot like the Gen II GTS. Front and rear not so much. Overall I like it.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only letdown I'm feeling is that there isn't one in my garage yet... Today feels like an old friend that was written off for dead just showed up and he looks better and feels better than ever:2tu:

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad over all.
I'm sure once the striping, exhaust, sound systems, suspension, tuning, interior, tinting, wheels, bolt-ons, and all bells and whistles are added to ones likings they are going to take off.
I'm keeping my GEN III though.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II GTS Coupe = Dirty Harry
Gen V SRT Viper GTS Coupe = Dirty Harry's son who looks like him but went to college; was influenced more by his mother; and, learned how to speak and dress properly.
Gen V SRT Viper = Dirty Harry's other son who also looks like him but is a jet and mainframe mechanic who is a bit more aware of his appearance but not as self absorbed as his college educated brother.
Gen V SRT Viper GTS Coupe with track pack = James Bond.
Gen V SRT Viper with track pack = the main character in the recent movie "Drive". Says less and takes care of business.

Gen III and Gen IV = Robocop and terminator.

Last edited:

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dunno i'm not totally sold yet from all the pics....on some angles from the front it car almost looks like a panoz esperante
But then i cant afford a new one anyways so i'll just stick with what i have :)

Jman

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody hear what the HP will be on the track only version that will be available?

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer my Gen IV ACR over any of the previous cars and think this one is a better car. I think I will actually love the looks of it more then I do my car when I see it in person.

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody with good photoshop skills? What would it look like if the front grill was color matched instead of flat black? Improvement?

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was not impressed at first. I was drawn to the viper when Gen III arrived not before. I love the interior and all the new upgrades. I wish it had paddle shift though... but it's not a deal breaker.

It was not until I put pics of all 5 Gens up side by side from same angle that I had a 360 degree change of heart. I now love the Gen V through and through. Someone here should post pics of Gen I gts, Gen III and Gen V...

I'm sure you'll see what I see.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks nice, just wish they would have kept all the gauges built into the dashboard. Also, wish they would have kept the front cross hair grill painted. Probably will like it even better when I see it with stripes

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I still love my 09, I think the new Viper has made significant improvements in nearly every area.More hp, better interior, forged engine components, lighter weight, fantastic looking body, great wheels, better brakes, launch control, 3:55 rear gear (finally), shorter shifter, stronger driveline, a renewed focus on racing heritage, improved stereo, unique hatch into roof design, wider tires and wheels, and on and on.Sure some people want "even more" but for a first year, out of the box effort, this really cements the future direction of Viper.
Ditto. Does HP really matter? I have a friend with a 10 year old Mazda he's got 850hp out of. Do I want to drive it, own it, or even look at it. No but it's fast... In a straight line:-/sounds like their getting ready to set a new record at the ring with these 640hp. How much HP can you even use on the street and how much can you even handle on the track?I think they know what they're doing down at SRT. IMOI'd buy the GTS version tomorrow.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was not impressed at first. I was drawn to the viper when Gen III arrived not before. I love the interior and all the new upgrades. I wish it had paddle shift though... but it's not a deal breaker. It was not until I put pics of all 5 Gens up side by side from same angle that I had a 360 degree change of heart. I now love the Gen V through and through. Someone here should post pics of Gen I gts, Gen III and Gen V...I'm sure you'll see what I see.
Please show me that Gen I GTS so I can see what you see. Back to reality...the car is fantastic. It's the best car yet on paper. However I will probably always prefer the look and feel of the gen II GTS. Just raw and perfectly sculpted like me. U mad?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the overall shape, reminds me of GTS. I will reserve my opinion of the front end until I see it in person. Looks like a winner so far.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it... watched the unveiling video a few times and kicked myself for not going to New York. It's an amazing car and I'm excited to see Viper re-enter ALMS! Since I won't be able to swing a purchse of this beauty for quite sometime, perhaps I can rob a set of seats for a retrofit...

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front comments:
- Love the blacked out front grill. I think the grill dimensions should've been a little taller.
- Hate the hood. It's fugly. I don't know where to start. But I think the market for aftermarket hoods will be good.
- Hate the bumper. It doesn't curve right especially under the headlights where it is depressed.

Top comments:
- Hate the edgy double bubble roof. It should've been like the GTS. The vert will definitely be more appealing.

Rear comments:
- Love the rear lights.
- Hate the rear glass. That center structure near the roofline is an abomination.
- Hate the diffuser area. It's too busy. The backup lights should not be in the diffuser area.
- I love the overall rear stance. I think it's the best of all the Viper generations. A lot of the lines flow well in the rear.

Side comments:
- Love the sidepipes and the black surround.
- Hate the GTS style intrusion of the hood into the door. I never found that necessary or easy to clean.
- I love how the wheels sit in their wheel wells without showing too much skirt like in the GTS.
- Love the CF behind the windows but I hope it's functional and not cosmetic.
- I thing the overall 3/4 view is good.
- I think the overall 1/4 view is too ***** but I'm not sure what's troubling me. I think it's the hood and the fact that the headlight curve does not flow (bulges) with the body curve.

Lighting:
- I hate the eyeliner front lights.
- I don't think the headlights should've been stretched back. They are too oversized. They should have been compact and narrow. Even the Jeep GC looks like it has smaller lights and that's an SUV.

Engine:
- ***. 640hp? Enough said. Mustang lovers rejoice! You win the drag race.
- Plastic engine covers. Very classy, NOT. But they are light.
- Was the X crossbrace really needed? I hate stuff that comes in the way of regular maintenance.

Based on the current info, I'm not a buyer. I think that the "low" horsepower is a big mistake. Mustang lovers move to Corvettes, then Vipers and finally Ferraris before realizing that the Vipers were the best. The Viper has now lost that "wannabe" market. Just like new 2010s are still sitting on the lot, 2013 will now formally mark the decline of the Viper. I think there will never be a 2015 or beyond Viper. Oh wait, they could always put an automatic tranny and get all the nanny lovers on board.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine:
- ***. 640hp? Enough said. Mustang lovers rejoice! You win the drag race.
If you think the Mustang's 10 horse will make up for the extra 500 pounds it lugs around then you don't know much about cars.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would have been better...

You must be registered for see images

That would have been amazing. I would have bought one for sure. I hate the fact that it looks like a gen 2 gts. That car or any viper is not old enough to go retro. As for 640 hp.....what a joke. I like my gen 3 even more.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think the Mustang's 10 horse will make up for the extra 500 pounds it lugs around then you don't know much about cars.

Very true but the Viper was always the top dog, most in your face, my specs and everything else is better than yours...now we're looking at this comparison, that ratio etc.

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BC, it's called a pulley change, dump the cats, air intake and a tune and you have 700-750 rwhp in the new GT500. For about $1,000 total.

That thing could weigh 4,500 lbs and it would wipe up any year Viper including the 2013......

Have you seen what the ZR1's do with the same simple mods above. They are trapping in the 140's all day. If this car is going to be a "world ******" it needs forced induction or an 8,000 rpm redline. One or the other.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like that they have gone back to the Gen II styling. No more confusion with post 2002 year Vipers looking like a certain Chevy. I wonder if they managed to keep the MSRP under $100k?