New Viper is huge letdown

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true but the Viper was always the top dog, most in your face, my specs and everything else is better than yours...now we're looking at this comparison, that ratio etc.
That only matters to magazine racers who like to compare dongs at car shows.
BC, it's called a pulley change, dump the cats, air intake and a tune and you have 700-750 rwhp in the new GT500. For about $1,000 total.

That thing could weigh 4,500 lbs and it would wipe up any year Viper including the 2013......
But it's still a stupid Mustang. If cheap straight line speed is your game why bother with either car? Just buy an old fox body and build it...

pumpgas said:
Have you seen what the ZR1's do with the same simple mods above. They are trapping in the 140's all day. If this car is going to be a "world ******" it needs forced induction or an 8,000 rpm redline. One or the other.
Yep... but you have no idea what this car will do modded. Plus I'll take NA all day every day for road course use vs. FI. GM did a great job engineering the ZR1's blower setup to work on track, but at the end of the day it's still more weight, more parts, and more heat.

the_postman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't get on board with the headlights. Too small or something. Love the rest of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

2rsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been told by my buddy with a 03 SRT that from the front it, it could be mistaken for a new NSX. I think he is crazy. He says he's disappointed because he feels it's a watered down version. I disagree. I think it looks very menacing. He says it looks like a ferrari. I told him I think the ferrari pulled the design from Viper for the 599 and F12. only because the viper was out already and they had to make the front engined design ferrari look good. The SRT group hit it on the head for me on this iteration.

2 seperate versions that have a track with less frills option that could be aimed at the track crowd and the GTS version that offers what I felt was lacking in the older vipers. more creature comforts. My arguement was why is the Mercedes sls using a viper motor.. or what was supposed to be a viper motor? and then charging 200k for it? cause it has everything that someone interested in a high level exotic would want.

Price wise I wouldn't doubt that people interested in purchasing a merc sls, Porsche or a R8V10 would choose the new viper over either. Interior, Exterior, light weight and power. I'd take this over both in a heart beat. Of course I'd get the GTS for me and my wife.

The complaint about the Mustang having more hp? they don't have the biggest or widest tires in the back.. so stock vs stock, I'm more than confident the viper will crush it. and if your talking about a pulley change and this and that.. in a 50k car? Than it's obvious you can't swing viper tax on mods.. so maybe this may not be the best car for you. But for those that will more than likely keep it stock, I believe this is a fantastic car.
Plus, I see is forged motor and I think that they will be coming with a SC vs. in the future. ala ZR1. so many complaints about a car that isn't even in show rooms yet.

Just my thoughts.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thread starter...your off your rocker. The car is a home run! (I admit i would have liked 650-700hp...but they can't give you everything in the first model year...think of the improvements that will come in the next 7 years!!!) Under a $million$ the new Viper and the Aventador pretty much have it sealed up IMO.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was actually worried that I wouldn't like it, but it definitely struck me very positively as I watched the unveiling streamed online. That being said, Vipers have always had a bit of a tug of war between the drag racers and the road racers. It looks to me like there's a conscious effort to concentrate on the road-racing pedigree.

Not necessarily a bad thing (and something I actually love, seeing as I didn't really fall in love until I started watching ORECA race in 99 and 2000), but I can expect some of the drag racing crowd's displeasure.

Personally? I'd like to see it shed even more weight. Otherwise, I love it, and I hope to buy one sometime between now and the end of time when I can afford one, LOL.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take back a bit of my initial disappointment. I like the GTS-R and I will wait to experience the base SRT version in person before I judge the production car. Fewer frills, different hood? That sounds good to me.

Wezbad1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont even know how to comment on this, except you need to learn more about "power to weight" ratio's Your high hp in a heavy car = worn tires and holes in the asphalt.

BC, it's called a pulley change, dump the cats, air intake and a tune and you have 700-750 rwhp in the new GT500. For about $1,000 total.

That thing could weigh 4,500 lbs and it would wipe up any year Viper including the 2013......

Have you seen what the ZR1's do with the same simple mods above. They are trapping in the 140's all day. If this car is going to be a "world ******" it needs forced induction or an 8,000 rpm redline. One or the other.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why all these Mustang comments? Does anyone realize that they only accomplish this with an over rev feature where the engine can spin up RPMs for something like only 8 seconds. Plus it has a supercharger jammed on it like the Vette. This Viper will eat both of them at the Ring.

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well Wezbad1, because I actually have 3 cars (all modded) that all perform differently with varying weights (weighed at the track scale). The Viper traps the highest at 137mph, the GT500 is the quickest with a 10.52 ET but only traps 133mph (the Viper pulls it pretty easily on the highway). The Z06 runs 10.87 at 131. The best ET in the Viper is 11.18 because it is so hard to hook it up in 1st gear even with the drag radials due to the suspension.

So if the 2013 GT500 has 750 to the wheels, it would really beat the living snot out of a 2013 Viper (even if you mildy modify the Viper with, exhaust, intake, tune etc.) is what I was saying. Both in a roll race and from a dig. Either way the Viper would lose without some kind of power adder. Now you can easily tell all 3 of my cars are modded if you were to pull up next to them and the reason I put the blower in the Viper, is exactly because I did not want every ********** with a mustang or corvette with $5K - $10K in mods to embarrass the snake. Now they cannot. It would take a fairly modified GT500, or Z06 to take out the Viper on the highway. Now a modded ZR1 is another story..... Stock ZR1's I eat them up in the Viper. Either way someone who drops $100K on a top of the line performance car is not going to like be pulled on like it would on the highway by any of the 3 cars. Frankly I think they'd be a little embarrassed and **********. I know I would.

2006 SRT Vert - Paxton, no cats and **** injection and NT05 Drag Radials - 672RWHP - 3425 lbs
2008 GT500 - 2.3 Whipple 18lbs, 3.73 gears, BFG 315 drag radials, throttle body, AFCO intercooler, RAM dual disc etc. etc. - 717RWHP - 3,940 lbs
2007 Z06 - cam, tune, headers, no cats, Nitto NT05's - 542RWHP - 3,188 lbs

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It's a **** *****!

I want one.

Bad.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The interior is definitely an improvement but lets be honest, it wasnt hard to improve on that. Overall, without seeing it in person, I have to say in my opinion the car is a miss. I'm not really sure what everyone who "loves" it and thinks its "amazing" are seeing. I know there are those who would love it no matter what. You could roll a VW bug out with a Viper faceplate and some would say its "amazing." The retro hybrid styling is ok with the exception of the hood which in my opinion is bad. For me its definitely missing that "wow" factor. Anyway the real test I guess is in person. However I will say those I spoke to who had been given the pre-look some time back were not crazy about it. Some good points and some bad. Ill tell ya this though and I believe it, it better sell pretty good right away because I don't think the powers to be will be real patient to determine if it will continue.

Last edited:

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say I'm 100% in love with the car yet. However I do like it a lot. I can't wait to see it in person on Saturday so I can give a better opinion. I like the style from what I see in the pictures but I do think it's to early for a retro style already. I was really hoping for a whole new style. I guess I was anticipating more but I'm not saying I don't like it. I really like the sides and the rear but something about the front is bugging me and I haven't figured it out yet. I'm hoping Saturday makes me fall in love with the whole car. I was hoping for a bit more hp but with less weight and a more rigid chassis. This car will be a beast on the track!

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is a very accurate assessment.

I am a gen 3 owner and never was a big fan of the gen2, but love the new car more than any other gen. Love the new front, love how all the lines flow together and love the rear. Interior is spectacular. Seriously, I dread the day one of these parks next to mine or any of your gen 1/2/3/4's.

Great job SRT!

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont even know how to comment on this, except you need to learn more about "power to weight" ratio's Your high hp in a heavy car = worn tires and holes in the asphalt.

My car doesn't spin or burn holes in the asphalt it just hooks up. If your car is set up right, you will get good traction and I am launching at only around 800-900HP, so really not much.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall pretty good, but reading through a few threads there are various issues that people would like sorted. We need a new thread where we could constructively list likes and dislikes

Personally I like the look of the GTSR Extra lights on the front. Just having two front lights on the road GTS is not doing it for me.
Also there are comments on the Engine covers. I too will agree that I would like to see a different set up, not a fan of plastic covers.
Why no smooth tubes? surely they should be the first things to go?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering all the requirements they have to meet to satisfy the government, they made an incredible car worthy of the Viper name. Let’s face it, the days of raw, basic cars with no ABS, electric windows, door handle or traction control has gone the way of the dinosaur due to big brother.

The same thing was said in 1974 and then every year since 1992. How much would the fines be if SRT said "screw you" to the government and built a car for the sports car purists like they did in 1992? They could call it, Viper FU-gov.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it not have been possible to shave off even more weight without sacrificing stiffness with an aluminum frame?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets